DLC 42 West 08 - Messina

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: DLC 42 West 08 - Messina

Post by monkspider »

Woah, now those are some awesome suggestions Kammerer! :-D
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

beta 2

Colonel, DV 9/16
Deployed with 3981 prestige, 1078 after reinforcing. Ended with 1567 (2367 incl. DV bonus). Got two very nice bonus units on turn 9, incl. message and centering on the units. Not sure why I got them, but I was still in control of almost all victory hexes at the time, all minus the two closest to the allied starting positions. I did not do an exact count on the last turn, but the number of units I evacuated seemed to match the victory conditions, so no problems there.

I had 18 Italians to deploy so I could concentrate my core on defense, was able to remain completely static in th North, in the South I slowly creeped back because I had spotted a few allied units in the mountains and my single artillery there got damaged. In the North I only had minor casualties from air power, the allies did never attack me directly with ground units thanks to my very strong defensive positions.

I started evacuating early, without waiting to clear the strait, but no transport was attacked, they mostly went for the towed Italian arty I had set up on the coast near the harbors. The larger amount of units to evacuate was no problem because I had lots of AUX units, although I could have easily evacuated about four core units without affecting my defensive positions too much.

Most Italians were cheap infantry units, but it could have been nice to have the player keep some Italian units. Naturally most people will prefer artillery, fighters or the P26/40 tank, but I would have been very happy with an AAA unit or two, which are just as effective as the German ones. I only had a Breda 20mm, but even that managed to be quite effective sometimes in these scenarios, so a 75mm or 90mm Italian AAA gun would have been very useful.

I had more trouble with allied ships and air units then last time, but managed to sink almost all ships and damage a lot of air units without losing any units myself, except for the Ju188 which got jumped by three fighters while rearming. I had already depleted the allied navy, so no big loss. Nice to see more allied planes show up now, this time my defensive positions had to rely on AAA since using fighters would have been costly.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

On small thing, I noticed that the bonus air units are 'overstrenght' but have no experience. Now that I later had to reinforce them, I noticed their 'base' strength is 12, not 10. So with one star I can overstrenght to 13, a bit like the conscripts.

I'm not sure if that is as intended, so I'll just put it here as an observation. Maybe give them just 10 strenght(with or without extra experience), or start them as 12/10 instead of 12/12, so if they lose their first points, you cannot reinforce them back over 10?
Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer »

Messina, beta 3 – imported core

Field Marshal, DV 12/16
Begin PP: 2,975. End: 4,150. Net: +1,175.

- Feels so much better with forts; thanks!
- I bought 2 add’l 88s (along w/existing 128), that made air ok.
- DV conditions? Game declared DV at 12 when I had 17 units on mainland, including fixed AA. Was it counting forts, also?
- Recv’d two proto fighters. Holy cow the heroes on those!

Scenario felt much more evenly matched now with forts for firepower and spotting.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Beta3 - imported core - Colonel level.
Added core forces with six AUX-Forces, managed to stop the northern attack with lots of M4 by engaging two +14 SE-Tiger. As Kamerer wrote the fortresses were very useful and these bonus-aircrafts ... great.
The first time I played the scenario was a disaster now the second time it was still challenging but made more fun. If the comment before is right, and I think so, I need not wait until turn 16 to evacuate the units? Thought the scenario has a fixed length of 16 turns, this seems to be wrong.
Wouldn't change anything, maybe the bonus-fighter less.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

beta 3 - Colonel, DV 11/16

prestige deploy fase/after reinforcing/last turn: 3959/1508/2058

I had 12 AUX Italians, so I only had to evacuate 2 of my core units. Since I evacuated 14 units total it seems that the forts (and the Flak) is counted as well. The new mainland defenses are very nice and useful, and since I had an extra Strategic bomber this time, the Allied ships were quite easy to deal with.

Allied airpower was still strong, but not overpowering.

Strategy: Like last time, in the North I had a static defense, worked excellenty, and in the South I slowly withdrew after a while to minimize losses.
Obersturmbannfuhrer
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Obersturmbannfuhrer »

I think this map is unwinnable for me, i dont have 18 ground units at all, i sold every italian unit immediately 2 scenarios earlier, because nobody told me i should have kept, what a shame, bad scenario design.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

You can still get an MV without the Italians, but you miss out on some bonus units. However, you will have gained from the prestige from selling the Italian: so annoying maybe, but not totally unfair.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”