DLC 42/43 West Information

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

DLC 42/43 West Information

Post by Kerensky »

The fun stuff
Afrika Expansion brought a wealth of new features to Panzer Corps, and the new West Front DLC aim to make the most of these. To that end, we are particularly interested in feedback regarding new scenario types and objectives. Is any wording confusing? Were you not able to understand a mission's objectives? Did you find any bugs with triggers and scripts?

While dealing with commando raiding in France, you might notice not only is your CORE pretty small, there isn't a whole lot of prestige to go around either. At the same time, you will notice you are constantly 'fed' a variety of units, many of them units you would not normally be able to buy. It's up to you to decide if you wish to keep and to use these units provided, or you can disband them for prestige during deployment phases to re-use the prestige as you see fit. Thoughts and comments on this method are very much encouraged.

Once the campaign moves to Sicily, the role of Italians takes on a new life. These maps have been configured in such a way, you can actually bring auxiliary units with you from map to map. So if you don't throw them all away in the first scenario you see all the Italian auxiliaries, you can actually get some good use out of them through-out the Sicilian campaign. The idea was to organize Italians in such a way that:
They are still aux, thus not taking up CORE slots.
They aren't totally expendable, it helps to keep them alive and cart them around for a few scenarios.
They help a lot in boosting your CORE size, as you would otherwise be quite restricted in how many units you could deploy on the field.

General information
With the re-introduction of the DLC campaigns, we wanted to give these new DLC a new flavor. While late war East Front DLC mostly contained very large and very tank orientated scenarios and combat, this does not really reflect an accurate picture of what was going on in the West Front. To better emulate this, and also to give new DLC some nice variety, West Front DLC CORE sizes are significantly smaller than equivalent East Front years. While it is possible to important a 1941 CORE into 42/43 West, after this point the two mega-campaigns will no longer be interchangeable. In other words, DLC 43 West cannot import into DLC 44 East, and DLC 44 East cannot import into DLC 45 West.

Scenario listing:
St. Nazaire
Bayonne
Hardelot
Dieppe
Gironde

Syracuse
Etna Line North
Etna Line South
Messina

Salerno Landing
Salerno Counter-Attack
Catanzaro
Taranto
Volturno Line

Campaign layout:
Campaign divides after Syracuse, players can either play Etna North or Etna South.
Campaign divides again after Messina, players can either play Salerno scenarios or Catazaro and Taranto.

Good luck, have fun, and we look forward to your feedback!
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: DLC 42/43 West Information

Post by monkspider »

Wow, this sounds incredible! Thank you very much for continuing to make me part of the beta-team. I am in the process of a move so my feedback may be a bit slower than usual to start off with, but I look forward to fully diving in. Your philosophy on the core and auxillary units is quite innovative.
taffjones
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by taffjones »

Some intresting concepts outlined there. Look forward to testing this DLC.
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Having played a bit, I really enjoy the approach of receiving reinforcement units in this context and the auxillary units that carry over is quite revolutionary. My main complaint is that, fundamentally, your core sizes seem to be just too low in most scenarios. I think that if they could be perhaps 15-25% larger, things would be really nicely balanced.
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

I just beat the last scenario, and I must say, bravo to yet another excellent campaign. This was perhaps the most creative one yet. You continue to one-up yourself, Kerensky! I think all of your experimental concepts succeed, the idea of receiving unique units that you can do with as you please works well in this context, the use of auxillary units is brilliant in concept but I was disappointed that I put so much effort into saving those Italian units only to have them permanently vanish when we reached the mainland. It would be cool if at some point they became a permanent part of your core or at least they stayed with you during the remaining Italian scenarios. There were some Italian troops that stayed loyal to Mussolini and fought with the Germans for the remainder of the war after all.

I liked the smaller scale but I think it was a bit too small for the number of enemy units that are thrown against you. I think that things would work better if your core was a bit bigger, something to give you a bit of wiggle room for units like anti-air or Marders or green units that you are training up. Also, prestige was a bit too stingy. I started off this campaign with 20k prestige and ended up with 12k. That is quite a precipitous drop, and I think a larger drop than 43' East campaign, and of course altogether not enough if players aren't importing a core.

I have to say, as much as I loved Afrika Korps (and look forward to my next playthrough of it), I still consider the Grand Campaign to be the crown jewel of the Panzer Corps series and I look forward to further expansions. I can't wait to find out what direction you will take things after '45 West (if the DLC continues that is). And I can't wait to start another playthrough of this campaign, I know I should wait for the next update but it is hard to do, truly the sign of a good DLC. :D
Ballacraine
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Ballacraine »

How about allowing a limited number of favoured auxiliaries to be admitted as a core unit?

Balla. 8)
Tumnog
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tumnog »

(from Kerensky's original quote)

'General information
With the re-introduction of the DLC campaigns, we wanted to give these new DLC a new flavor. While late war East Front DLC mostly contained very large and very tank orientated scenarios and combat, this does not really reflect an accurate picture of what was going on in the West Front. To better emulate this, and also to give new DLC some nice variety, West Front DLC CORE sizes are significantly smaller than equivalent East Front years. While it is possible to important a 1941 CORE into 42/43 West, after this point the two mega-campaigns will no longer be interchangeable. In other words, DLC 43 West cannot import into DLC 44 East, and DLC 44 East cannot import into DLC 45 West'

just getting back to this game after a long break... I was wondering if this still holds true. I have my old core from end of DLC 1943 East ... am thinking of buying DLC 1944 West. Will I be able to use the 1943 East core at all for 1944 West? thanks in advance.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”