DLC '44 #7: Mogilev

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

DLC '44 #7: Mogilev

Post by VPaulus »

Please post here your comments about this scenario.
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: DLC '44 #7: Mogilev

Post by produit »

FM, preset core, through Narva missions.
DV 20/20
Ending prestige 6032.

This scenario was quite easy, with 4 Elefants, 5 Tigers 2, and 8 Panthers). You mainly have to keep the enemy at bay in the center and clean up the good tanks coming afterwards in the open. I was happy to have deployed a lot of AA near Mogilev (2x 12.8, Möbelwagen und Wirbelwind, thanks to the previous scenario), as the aerial confrontation was important. As a result, shooting down 4 stars enemy fighters was quite easy.

I could have finished on turn 13 (without killing the 4 stars IS1), but I wanted to clean the map and amass prestige (300 per turn, it seems).

This kind of scenario reminds me Kursk.

The spawning of IS2 (3 stars) at the end of the game (8 in total) produced more costly damages than the rest of the game. As the spawning of IS1 in Kiev was not wonderful, it is not really the best solution here. If your troops are not in a good shape, it would even be difficult to contain.
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Mogliev
Starting Prestige 4200
After upgrades 150
Ending prestige 3200
Losses: 1x Wehrmacht Infantry
Marginal victory on turn 20/20

I had a fair amount of prestige to work with this time and was able to do a reasonable amount of overstrengthing and I purchased three infantry units to try to replenish my earlier losses (although one of these green units was eventually lost) and I was even able to upgrade an old Panzer III I still had to a Tiger II!

As opposed to the last battle, I deployed my troops pretty competently, forming a defensive line in the center around Mogliev with my strongest units and then two other main groups at the two Dneiper crossings in the north and south. Overall, the battle went pretty smoothly. My defensive strategy seemed to work very well and my losses were overall fairly light. I could have pressed on for a decisive victory but I was still nervous about something happening like in the last battle where my detachment of units gets overwhelmed by a surprise attack. With my prestige such as it has been, I thought this might be a fair chance to actually get ahead.

A fun scenario, if somewhat on the easy side, although the apparent easiness may have simply been due to good fortune.
Last edited by monkspider on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by billmv44 »

General with imported core (1942 DLC). Starting prestige, 4783, ending 10616.

I'm slowly converting Tigers to Tiger IIs as prestige allows. Having Tiger IIs backed by artillery defending the 4th Army HQ hexes made it fairly simple to stop the onslaught. I deployed a Tiger I backed by artillery to defend the north and south river crossings. Never seriously threatened there. If Ivan could bridge the river, it would make the scenario very interesting. I wiped out all enemy units and took all hexes on turn 17 for the DV. The AI started spamming IS-2s at the very end, but it didn't really help him. This scenario will be quite interesting when I play it on the release version on the Manstein level. I have a feeling this may be an "easier" scenario before the next one. What does Kerensky have up his sleeve for us next?

No issues with the game play, no issues found.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

FM.

Generally the same tactic as two scenario's earlier. Force surrender the units attacking the central line. Anyway, after they shot up the strongpoints and AT guns, they just stood there and did nothing.
The holes in the defensive line were filled up with PzIVJ's and Jadgpanthers and the shooting could begin.
Along the flanks at the most northern and southern bridges i placed my Tiger I and II's backed up with SPA's. On turn 3 i started my offensive there.
When i almost cleared the centre of russian units, a second attack wave began. Very nicely done. As i have seen before, rarely the IS-1 and 2 will attack Tigers, they prefer the PzIV's, SPA's and other soft targets.
Enemy airactivity was okay but posed no threats whatsoever. I still use a mix of Bf109G and FW190's and sofar they do a great job.
It has been some time that i cleared the board and took everything that could be taken. And also, thank you very much for the prototype Jagdtiger that i found.
I really enjoyed this mission.

DV 12/20 4444PP

Thanks a lot
Thanks a lot
jagdtiger.png (186.91 KiB) Viewed 12811 times
produit

Post by produit »

nikivdd wrote:
jagdtiger.png
I was not able to get this prototype, even if I captured every city. Do you have to go through Jassy Kishinev to get it ?
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

produit wrote:
nikivdd wrote:
jagdtiger.png
I was not able to get this prototype, even if I captured every city. Do you have to go through Jassy Kishinev to get it ?

Nope i found it in this scenario. In the town in the lower right corner, guarded by a 14str IS tank. I got the Jagdtiger the folowing turn and only then i took the last VH.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Ooooh, a prototype Jagdtiger? Kerensky, you sneaky devil. I wish I had gone for the full decisive victory now. 8)
produit

Post by produit »

nikivdd wrote:
produit wrote:
nikivdd wrote:
jagdtiger.png

Nope i found it in this scenario. In the town in the lower right corner, guarded by a 14str IS tank. I got the Jagdtiger the folowing turn and only then i took the last VH.
OK, strange. I think I captured the city more than one turn before the end...
But as the campaign has two different paths all along, perhaps Mogilev map is not the same if you go through... It is more or less confirmed by the two pzscn files for Mogilev. I think that you earn the Jagdtiger only if you did the Jassy Kishinev map, and not the Narva one... Can anybody confirm ?
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Hmm, strange. Is that possible? I can't recall there being a similar situation for any previous scenario, but it is possible that is Kerensky is being an EXTRA-sneaky devil on this one.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

produit wrote: I was not able to get this prototype, even if I captured every city. Do you have to go through Jassy Kishinev to get it ?

I did the Jassy map, convinced it might be more fun with the romanians.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
charonjr

Post by charonjr »

Rommel - pre-build core

Starting prestige 2.3k, down to 0.6k after selective reinforcements.

Sold 2 8.8cm, the 12.8cm and my SdKfz 7/2, giving me 2.3k prestige for upgrades.

Upgraded the Nashorn to a Jagdpanther, a +1 movement Panther into another Tiger II and my Fw 190As into D-9s - 0.3k prestige left.

Started to attack from the center towards the south at turn 4, turn 5 towards the north and by turn 7 towards the center as well.

Could have won a DV at 13/20 with moderate losses, but kept playing till turn 20.

Fighting the roughly 10 IS-2s (including respawn) was harder/more costly than all the earlier turns combined, but once I had enough units in place to surround them and force surrenders it became easier. It was still hard to get them down since often the artillery just failed to cause any suppression. I think that at least some of those IS-2 should be included in the attack waves as well and maybe lower the prestige (gain) for the AI so that less of them will spawn at the end.

The Soviet airforce did not present any real problems, but due to the quality of the fighters my fighters did suffer a decent amount of damage. So while getting more costly it is still no real challenge to gain air superiority which does feel wrong.

DV at 20/20 with 3.6k prestige + whatever the Jadgtiger will yield for disbanding it (too slow for my taste - even though I am sure that it would be great for the fairly large number of defensive scenarios that should still follow till '45).

Overall the beginning/middle part of this scenario should be harder while the end should be made a bit easier to compensate. Otherwise making the player pay for trying to take all VHs/milk the scenario for max prestige if he fails to put units right next to the cities feels right.

PS: Followed the Navra path and I did gain the Jagdtiger.
Zhivago
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Zhivago »

nikivdd wrote:
produit wrote: I was not able to get this prototype, even if I captured every city. Do you have to go through Jassy Kishinev to get it ?

I did the Jassy map, convinced it might be more fun with the romanians.
I did not get it either even though I captured that city in the lower right corner. I did the Strachwitz route though.
deducter
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by deducter »

The JagdTiger spawns in a Rough Field hex, which you can move a unit onto. That prevents the spawning of the captured unit.
produit

Post by produit »

charonjr wrote:Rommel - pre-build core
PS: Followed the Navra path and I did gain the Jagdtiger.
OK, it is too late for me to try to get it... The explanation of deducter must be true. It is a shame that keeping a unit on given hexes will result with no bonus unit...
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

I'm surprised that you managed to move a unit on to that rough field hex. It takes a unit its entire move to enter that hex, which means you have to start a turn with your unit adjacent to it in order to enter it.
produit

Post by produit »

I think I tried to encircle the tank completely to force him to surrender after a huge artillery barrage. I tooked me time, but I had enough turns left.
charonjr

Post by charonjr »

Actually I did the same in the SE, so better expect that people will try to move there ;)
hmshood
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hmshood »

Mogilev....easy?......Here I am limping into this scenario with my battered core very much depleted...prestige down to 3000....none of my FW 190's have a STR over 11 (most are under 10)....all of the Tiger I's are around 9...all of the INF under 10 STR....and according to folks there be a few Tsunami waves of Russian tanks and other miscellaneous riff-raff one must face...EASY?...Horse-feathers I say...I find nothing easy for the Germans in 1944 so far....

gawd I love the dam game...

hmshood
hmshood
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hmshood »

DV here...barely...lost some of my core units..2 Recon (they bee's risky dudes...)..a panther...idiot strayed off the beaten path and got smoked by a coupl'a BIG vodka drinkers...and an190 got blown away by those friggin' SPAA dudes and a "14 STR" fighter...

The deployment ideas from those that played this scenario before really helped...but I think the handwriting is on the wall now....even with Heroes & medals galore..the simple fact that I cannot bring most of whats left of the Core to Over-strength is very telling...The hoarding of one's prestige now is #1 priority...I wish I had not been so care-free in using it "during" earlier scenario's...

It is very interesting...I really didn't notice the very slow but steady improvement of the Soviet forces. It just sorta sneaks up on you (well it did to me!)...I paid too much attention to getting a DV or MV's...getting those made one almost feel like they wuz winnin' the War. How foolish of me.

Last thought(s)....that little rocket fighter plane OKW sent me was cute...looked cool and made nice varoom-varoom noises...but a 190 woulda' been better...
no I didn't get the prototype Tiger thingie...
on to Babruysk
hmshood

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”