DLC '44 #5: Jassy Kishinev

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

DLC '44 #5: Jassy Kishinev

Post by VPaulus »

Please post here your comments about this scenario.
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: DLC '44 #5: Jassy Kishinev

Post by billmv44 »

Playing on General level with imported core (since 1942 DLC). Beginning prestige 5376. Ending prestige 9147. I deployed so that my faster tanks would be able to rush to the defense of the Rumanians. I hurried over there with 4 Panthers and 2 Ju87Gs. That plus a few follow up forces was enough (barely) to stop the Russian attack. I used the remainder of my forces to drive up the center of the map with the intention of driving into the main Soviet attack from the flank. This was accomplished after much hard fighting. My extreme right flank was roughed up a bit by a counter attack, but by that time I was able to hurry back and stop it (after losing a captured KV-85 :( ). I was pleased to not have any of the those pesky SP AA units in the main enemy attack forces. They only showed up on eastern side of the map (my right flank). Mixing in one or two of them in the forces attacking the Rumanians would make it harder for the Luftwaffe to smash up the armored spearheads. I'll hate myself for suggesting this, but it will make it more challenging. DV on turn 17. Overall, a good scenario, I enjoyed playing it.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

Jassy Kishinev
Starting prestige 3200
Prestige after reinforcements 150
Ending prestige 1300
Marginal victory turn 18/18
Losses: 2x SS Panzer IIIs and a KV-85

I thought this was a deep and compelling defensive scenario. I found the Soviet steamroller to be nearly overwhelming at times, thanks in no small part to those new T=34(85)s. The deployment of my forces was suboptimal, with several units deployed in areas of the map that were far away from the action for virtually the entire game. At no point did I seriously consider going for the decisive victory. I did briefly consider the idea when the first wave of attackers seemed to be faltering. I sent 2 SS Panzer III's and a KV-85 north to reconnoiter and capture what I thought would be undefended cities, but I unwittingly blundered into disaster as these units were quickly overwhelmed and cut off by the next wave of attackers around turn 11. Even with those three units lost, my overall losses seemed to be lighter than they were at Korsun Breakout. Still, I did manage to hold on to secure the marginal victory.

This scenario did a nice job of conveying the sense of futility that the Wehrmacht had to be feeling at this point in the war. I fight and fight but still the quality of my core seems to be getting worse and worse. Ultimately, it seems that all of my efforts are just to try to hold things together a little bit longer. This is the the kind of emotional reaction that I think elevates the Panzer Corps Grand Campaign series above other war games.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

The part i liked most in the briefing was about the opportunity for a counterattack which i grabbed with both hands.
I send most of my Pz IV and StuGIIIG's to help the Romanians in stopping the russian steamroller. On the right side of the river Prut i placed my 4 Tiger I's with StuH42 support and another StuGIIIG and a PzIIIN (i baptised them task force furious).
I left a few infantry in Kishinev with towed artillery support...you never know.
The Russians got no further than taking Baicini and Ulni. They were so mopped up against my defensive line (Targu-Jassy) where i managed to mix the romanian units with mine, that turn after turn i managed to force surrender the russians almost unpunished with the invaluable aid of my luftwaffe. My task force furious (right of Prut river) destroyed enemy opposition and by turn 7, i moved them to the left bank of the river, althus surrounding the russian attack force of which none survived. By turn 9 i only had to take Rauseni and on turn 10 a russian counterattack began, destroying one my StuGIIIG's but they were too late and there was nothing to avoid me taking Rauseni on that turn..

DV 10/18, 3083PP.
dutmistrz
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by dutmistrz »

DV turn 15 - prestige on start 12 000 end 9000

This is a very nice scenario, I like the amount of Romanian troops that have good auxiliary abilities, although leavingthem for 4-5 turns without assistance of Tiger or other German tanks means they are as good as gone. My first thought in this one was - if the Soviet pincer goes along the highway on the west, where the other one will go? And as long as I played and encountered no resistance in the east side of the map, the more worried I became - and it was right - a large counteroffensive was mounted by soviets in the east and only the fact that I seized all objectives in time saved me from being overwhelmed there by huge soviet forces - so first hint - guard bridges along the impassable river, as T-34 and infantry carriers from Land Lease have a very huge range and with one bridge caught you have a mess on your flank which can cost you a DV (and with that the bonus scenario, ideal for strenghtening AA potential).

As for the front in the west - this was a meatgrinder, no significant amount of soviet AA units, not very much heavy tanks, it all enabled a swift and efficient action there. But behind the first wave was the second, which was a bit more demanding but yet if you use romanians wisely (read: as live shields), it's quite easy to keep your core intact.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”