DLC 42 #11 Stalingrad Docks

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

DLC 42 #11 Stalingrad Docks

Post by El_Condoro »

Stalingrad Docks
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Spoiler preview:

You get the chance to do this:

It was nice being the one attacking transports for a change, instead of always having your transports bombed (Sealion and USA East Coast)
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Just because of those pictures I'm gonna have to stop work on the the SS&SE MODS and go and watch Enemy at the Gates again :D

Nice shots,,btw :wink:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Yup, that's where those scenes are from. Quite honestly, the entire time I was thinking about DLC 1942, I had that image burned in my brain. I REALLY wanted to give the player a chance to bomb ships crossing the Volga. Enemy at the Gates aside.. I can't think of any other video game that lets you do this either. That is, bombing ships crossing the Volga. It happened in history, why don't games let you do it? I had to address this! :D
airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 »

I ,for one, am looking forward to it :twisted:

Keep up the great work and great ideas.
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

That is freaking awesome. Thanks Kerensky. :)
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Do the Komisars in the boats execute unwilling troops too???
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

deadtorius wrote:Do the Komisars in the boats execute unwilling troops too???
Heh if I could script that, making the Russian river boats fire on their own transports if they move in the wrong direction, I would. :)

Maybe one day that would be a fun unit.

Russian unit who can attack and damage friendly units, but attacking them in this manner gives them a temporary attack value stat boost!
Example would be to attack a 15 strength conscript, damage it down to say 12 strength, but now that conscript unit has +1 SA/+1 HA for the remainder of the turn.

Could be pretty neat.
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

Stalingrad Docks
starting 7500
After upgrades 1800
Ending prestige 2800
No losses
DV on turn 15

The Stalingrad quagmire continues! If you notice, I had an epic repair/upgrade bill this time. It was a combination of horrible losses on the last battle and upgrading my fighters to FW-190s. This one was another rough one but mercifully, not as deadly as my last adventure in Stalingrad. Even though I technically achieved a decisve victory it hardly felt like it. To quote Pyrhus "One more such victory and I am undone .

After the last level, I no longer had the prestige reserves to fall back on that I used to, so I realized I couldn't push myself as hard as the last level. My slow and steady approach seemed to pay off, though I still took a non-trivial amount of casualties. Oh, and I found a captured Soviet BA-64 recon car in one of the non-core cities in the northeast part of the map. Awesome! I have really fallen in love with my SU artillery that I captured in the Depot level, it seems like it is a slightly stronger STuG IIIb and I have been pretty vocal about my love for the STuG in the past. It was fun to sink the transports, that was a cool dimension to the battle. I brought my 14 strength strat bomber over there and it was one-shotting every transport it would come across. Still, a pretty fair amount of them did get through.

As Kerensky promised, Pavlov's House DOES make an appearance in this level! Nicely done sir!

A great level, I can't wait to see how the Stalingrad drama concludes! I only wish that there were more airfields. It seems like there has been a trend over the last few levels for airfields to be very few and far between.
produit
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by produit »

Perhaps a small bug...
On the strategic map, river boats appear as tanks... A naval unit icon could be better than "floating" tanks...
produit

Post by produit »

Clearly easier than Storming Stalingrad...
There is not a sufficient number of units coming from the Volga to stop the advance.
Nice map...

DV on turn 13.
deducter

Post by deducter »

Stalingrad Docks

This scenario seems undertuned compared with the previous one. Whereas I struggled in Storming Stalingrad, Stalingrad Docks was quite a bit easier. In fact, the scenario got easier as it went along, which is no good, since things should get harder and harder the more you progress in this city.

Seargent Pavlov was fun, but that area needs some other weapons. I’d add a AA, an artillery, and a AT gun, all 3 stars 15 overstrength. And a strongpoint too (according to Wikipedia, that place was labeled “Festung” on German maps). The units on the fortifications should be changed to Red Guards, set to hold position passive so they don’t move out, abandoning all that entrenchment (the SMG infantry currently there did that, and were made so much easier to destroy). More SMG infantry in the back can be scripted to attack when the Germans get within a hex of the House itself. Currently the House itself is not hard to take, which I think detracts from the epic defense.

T-34 factory could use more T-34s.

The Stalingrad Railway was woefully underdefended, while it was the site of absolutely fierce fighting. More stars, more overstrength, and it couldn’t hurt to add significantly more units there.

I would give the Soviets two additional battle groups of infantry/tanks to counterattack as soon as the Germans approach Pavlov’s House and The Stalingrad Railway station. As it current stands, the Soviets don’t really launch any counterattacks. Those two flags should be some of the hardest to get in the game, and right now they are too easy to get.

More strongpoints scattered throughout the city, like Moscow/Warsaw! Especially towards the docks.

The docks hexes need to be better-garrisoned/defended, right now it is very easy to sweep towards them and take them over. There needs to be a series of strongpoints and a massive concentration of hold position passive troops barring the way to the last few flags, mostly to deter the player from making a rapid conquest.

The transports coming in are nice, but are not too hard to sink. The hardest part is spotting them, and interestingly enough my +1 spotting fighter is the most valuable unit here for that purpose!

DV 16/22. It started snowing on turn 16, an ominous sign when in Russia. Seems scripted. Too bad I didn’t get to enjoy it. This scenario needs to be lengthened by about 4-5 turns for the full effect.

I kinda understand the desire to make an easier scenario after the masterpiece that was Storming Stalingrad. Do not let the player off that easily in Stalingrad! This one should be as hard as the previous one, to give the player the full effect of brutal urban warfare that wrecked the German army. Even make the easier path afterwards easier to compensate, so if a player is beat up, they can simply take the easier way out and rebuild their core that way.
monkspider

Post by monkspider »

I do really like Deducter's suggestions for this scenario, especially for making Festung Pavlov a bit tougher. I also witnessed the SMG infantry abandoning their fortifications as he described.
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

5/22

I already conquered the 6 objectives for a minor victory and I am making good progress. I am back up at ~2192 Prestige, started with 2314 before replacements etc.

Only Pavlov's, T-34 Factory and Railways station left.

I think that's NICE scenario design - why? I now have the choice: Push of a DECISIVE VICTORY or be content with the MINOR and gather strength for things to come. I will carefully advance, with the idea in mind to preserve strength.

To pick up the "it's too easy" criticism: I think that this has a point as well.
My suggestion:
Leave the early part of the city that easy but increase the defenses of the notorious Railway Station, T-34 Factory and Pavlov's house.

Note that I haven't experienced them yet, just judging from the reports of people above.

P.S. the combo of Flak, strong enemy fighters (I'M POOR I ONLY HAVE BF109 and they don't do much to the better Russian fighters anymore!) and transports firing back as well resulted in the loss of an aux Stuka and quite serious damage to Luftflotte 4. Much more aerial resistance on the river/docks than expected
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

Stalingrad docks. General difficulty.

After the previous mission, i wanted to be prepared for anything here.
I upgraded a few StuGIIIB to StuH42 and i bought a Wurfrahmen.
During the deployment phase i left the AA units at home. I was hoping for not too many russian planes.

Sinking the transports gives an extra dimension and makes me want to watch Enemy at the gates again.
This time i made my advance heavily backed up by artillery. I used the tanks to keep the russian tanks at bay while the infantry took care of the russian infantry standing in my way.
At Pavlov's house i got surprised by the sudden amount of infantry units that i lost a 4* PzIVG tank. I also found the BA-64. Dv on 13/22 and 3451 PP.

Afterall not a bad mission and by far not so hard as the previous one. I expected it harder, especially to take the T-34 factory. Instead of killing the small T-60's or T-70's, i prefered more T-34's making my day. From turn 10 onwards i saw the AI spawning BT-5's....in 1942?
billmv44
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by billmv44 »

I agree that this scenario was a bit easier than Storming Stalingrad, but not too much. The T-34 factory took several more turns to take than I expected once I was in range. The AI really throws everything into the battle. I liked being able to attack the transports as they come across the river. No bugs or issues (other than the previously mentioned incorrect icon for the gunboats). DV on turn 20.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Allied Corps Beta Tester
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

Turn 9. Lost some tanks and aux units, the usual thing. No artillery support and surprised by SMG Infantry.

The T-34 Factory was no real problem, as the attacking T-34 drove into my Infantry and got bombed by Stukas and attacked by Infantry. I can lure tanks into restricted terrain as well. ;)

The MOST RESISTANCE is over the river! I give up bombarding there, I might sink some transports but my Aux BF109 are battle worn and some aux Stukas got lost and my own Ju88 and Stukas are BADLY beaten. Stupidly enough the Russian fighters manage to be often out of range of my fighters.

I decided to cancel bombing the Don and refocus the bombers on the city area. This way I also hope to avoid the strong Russian fightrs - for my BF109G the first time that they face enemy aircraft with good stats and experience.

I also have a "it's getting easier now" feeling. Pavlov's house is still ahead but I conquer lots of undefended or weakly defended city hexes to replenish losses.
I think that's nicely designed, helps the troops to continue fighting. There is a good balance there.
pickle
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by pickle »

Another good scenario (playing on general level)...as Longasc said above, I gave up on trying to interdict the Volga after awhile. Losses from enemy fighters decimated the Aux Stukas and then AA took a chunk out of my DO-17Z.

The rest of the advance was much like Storming Stalingrad...slow, tedious with each move carefully considered. Ended up losing captured T34/41 and Sherman as well as my continued record of slaughtering recon units. My infantry got through this one quite a bit better though gaining invaluable experience as a result. Noticed as one of the posts above said the Russian infantry at Pavlov's House moving from entrenched spots becoming easier marks as a result.

I also noticed that most of the Russian reinforcements that survive the Volga move pretty much straight across towards the T34 factory. I think some would have been better served moving to the south towards Pavlov's House too as I did not really notice a counterattack here. Further, once the T34 Factory was taken, a defensive line is easily established in the urban hexes on the edge of the clear hexes. Once the Russian infantry advances into the clear terrain opposite, they are mincemeat especially if artillery and supporting armour is present.

Again, I didn't really have a chance to go out and take secondary objectives as the DV was accomplished late in the scenario; I was hesistant to over extend and suffer unnecessary losses.

With a couple of tweaks this scenario becomes another that is quite challenging and enjoyable.
Adean
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Terrible Map

Post by Adean »

diff: colonel
start prestige: 22100

I used a lot of troops 5pioners, 1 SE panzergr, 2 SE mountains, 2 FJs with halftrack, 1 cavalery. From heavy unit I used aprox. 6 PzIVG, 2KV-1c, 6PzIIIL,2recons, 2 21cm artil. and 3 wurfrahmen. From air force 6 Fw 190 2 Bf 110G 2 Ju-86 and 1 He-177. Very hard map a lot of enemy troops, bad calculating from enemy. I was very very angry when expected casualitis was totaly different for example you should lose 3 paras but you lost 9:( and it wasn´t one time:( I had a trouble with reinforcement from the other bank:( The battle was long I lost some of Italien troops, but at the end I won. Terrible is that enemy fighters come from sides of map and made me angry. But at the end of 17th turn it was much more hard, enemy troopers were everywhere:) I loved my wurfrahmen units. When I captured the "island airfield" my problems with refueling was gone. I think, that for this map is very important said that smg enemy troops are very strong, I am not shure if I had only unlucky turns or how is possible, that my pioners str 11 exp 425 attacked and smgs kiled 9 of them and lost only 3 str. They had no entr. So I hope that the next one, I diceded that I will hold Stalingrad, will be lucky for my panzer unit:)
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

My last report in 2011! :)

Let me already wish you a Happy New Year, dear Generals!

Stalingrad Docks:
14/22 Decisive Victory 556 Prestige
(I could kick myself, I could have farmed easy prestige and xp at the weakly defended "flag" docks at the Volga river but forgot that taking Pavlov's House ended the scenario)

As people reported, the Railstation and Pavlov's House are weakly defended, Pavlov's House ironically has what the Railstation needs and the Railstation what Pavlov needs (Tanks). Why?

Pavlov's House isn't a fortress, the fortress hexes around are not close defense and thus a lot of the terrible HA power in restricted terrain of the SMG Infantry gets lost. So I set up StuH42, Artillery and well you get the point. No chance.
-> Suggestion: Add some bunkers and MORE RESTRICTED TERRAIN (close defense terrain)

Railstation: Has a lot of tanks and is well, somehow okay.
My beef are the totally - well almost - undefended docks behind. They are apparently meant as "bonus prestige", but I think turning one dock into another hex for a decisive victory and fortifying at least the northern docks stretch would be a good thing.

I liked the air combat - the skies remained contested till the final turn. My prestige went up and down as I captured hexes. I was almost at zero at some point, but I also used Elite replacements for my Stukas. That was probably not that smart, but well.

I saw few Russian units disembark and attack, the whole air battle over the Volga was intense but rather pointless and in the end I think I should have diverted all air strength to the city right away. But that's an interesting strategic decision to make during the scenario and I would leave it like that.

Wonderful scenario. But apparently I was the only one low on Prestige. :P But I had few losses, only one core tank (and a ton of aux units).

Some minor work needed around Pavlov's house, see above. The Railstation maybe should get another VP behind or better defenses.

So what's up for 2012?

Escape from Stalingrad or Ruins of Stalingrad, which should I try first?
This time I intend to save and play both scenarios before deciding with which I want to continue.

That's my core/savegame in the (replayed) final turn.

http://www.filedropper.com/stalingraddocks

Would have saved before but as I said, I was surprised to see the scenario end in victory.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”