Eben-Emael report (scenario 12)

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Eben-Emael report (scenario 12)

Post by nikivdd »

Welcome to Belgium. Eben-Emael, supposingly one of the strongest fortresses with a design flaw...what about paratroopers.
Before i started i upgraded my 10,5cm art to 15cm ones, upgraded my 3,7cm AT gun to a PzJäger and changed the Bf110c to d. Bought my 3rd Bf109e with the available core slot.
In the previous mission i dismissed one SE unit and i was lucky, i got a PzIIIF SE unit.
The few deployment hexes near the fortresses where reserved for my pioniere inf. Those with the units already present + airforce+ 2 turns= no more fortresses left. All but one fort had their ammo to zero and that is probably the main reason why i could deal with them so fast. I'm not complaining here ;).
I also could deploy units in the north and in the south part. I put all my units in the northern part and the few i had to put in the south were going northbound straight away.
I had no intention to cross the river at hex (10,18 ) with those strongpoints there. So all units went via (12,12) and (13,11) and there i split my core in two. The ones going north received as objective Maastricht and the rest i dispatched towards Liege. Here and there belgian infantry tried to stop my advance (at least some resistance) but utterly failed. We had tanks in Belgium, why not throw in a couple in this scenario? The single fighter and two bombers where shot out of the sky after threatening my units once. Dutch infantry left of the Meuse had no desire to fight unlike the ones posted right of the river.
This scenario was not bad at all. You have to attack the enemy from the rear after breaking thru Eben-Email. Also the size of the map feels right. It is just a matter of the correct tactic and to exploit every opportunity. I reached DV at turn 12 and left with 1173 prestige points. Nice job!
Last edited by nikivdd on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkspider
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by monkspider »

I was somewhat frustrated with this scenario because I foolishly tried to cross in the south, the two strongpoints, the fort, and the entrenched infantry are too tough to get past and I lost a couple units before I realized the folly of it. I think that this area should either be toned down or there should not be a deployment zone there.
I did still manage a decisive victory on turn 13.

My prestige was fairly tight but I did get everything upgraded that I wanted to and overstrengthed a few units. I also upgraded my 3.7 gun to a panzerjager, and bought an extra artillery with my new slot (now using three towed and 1 self-proppelled). My airforce at this point consists of two fighters, a strategic bomber and a stuka. I have 2 panzer 38s, 1 panzer III and 1 panzer IV, 2 SS Grenadier units, one Pionere and a few Wehrmacht infantry.

I do think this was a good mission and the idea of having a limited amount of units that you can use to get surprise attacks on the fort units was well done. My only beef is the excessive amount of forts in the south and that the game seems to steer you toward trying to cross there.
charonjr
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by charonjr »

Eben-Emael - Colonel - previous DV

Upgraded (Bf110 + 3 Pz38 and 3 10,5cm)/reinforced my units and bought a Fallschirmjäger and a Brückenpionier unit (which I should have done ealier actually to get them some XP), leaving me with 400 prestige.

I have decided to split up my forces and try to force my way through the southern fortifications as well as in the middle - the first fortress was destroyed at turn 4 (but my armor took some damage in getting in down with the help of 2 artillery), the second one at turn 6.

Enemy artillery advancing on itself to get a shot in at an infantry unit (without being able to hide behind friendly units) seems wrong to me, essentially it traded 1HP from my Fallschirmjäger vs. 8HP from itself. In addition the AI is too keen on leaving its fortifications in order to attack transports.

Since I have not seen those 2 strongpoints in the north early enough it actually took me till turn 13 to get a DV with 1390 prestige, but essentially the battle was won at turn 10.

Personally I liked the fortifications here, with the right tools at your disposal (most important lots of artillery) they are managable, but it does take time. Especially the additional deployment slots the the fortifications to simulate the surprise attack (along with those forts largely being out of ammunition for the first turn) was nice. Due to having to deal with fortresses/strongpoints the scenario length looked good to me.

CharonJr
rilnator
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Eben-Emael report (scenario 12)

Post by rilnator »

This is tougher than I expected it to be. after going through all of first campaign with nothing but DVs I was probably a bit lazy.

My southern attack force couldn't even get out of the bridgehead and I had to withdraw them. Lost an SE infantry down there.

Getting tougher!

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”