Cannot install the game

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Hiimori
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Cannot install the game

Post by Hiimori »

Hi, I just bought the (German) retail version of War in the East, but I cannot install the game.

When I launch the installer, I accept the Licence Agreement, then I'm prompted for my licence key (which is accepted), for a game save folder, and a shortcut location. Then, the installing process starts, but is interrupted after a few seconds by the following prompt:
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 4122 times
The German text reads: "Unable to open the following executable installation file:"

I found one thread about this problem, but the solution ("change the shortcut path") didn't work for me.

I tried to install the game with full administrative permissions, or in compatibility mode, but nothing worked. I also tried to change the game path to a different partition, which didn't make a difference - the game obviously has a problem writing into the C:/Windows/Gary Grigsby's War in the East folder (which is created correctly).

Other games, like Fields of Glory, Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, or TOAW don't have any problems writing into the C:/WIndows directory, their folders appear correctly and contain the uninstall.exe. War in the East is the only game that has this problem.

My system: i5 with 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 Bit.

Thank you for help and suggestions!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Cannot install the game

Post by VPaulus »

Hi ,

Try installing the game in Windows Safe Mode:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... dows-7.htm
Hiimori

Re: Cannot install the game

Post by Hiimori »

Changing to safe mode did the trick, I just finished the installation!

Thank you very much!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East : Tech Support”