Which Scenario Would You Play Last?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Which Scenario Would You Play Last?

Post by proline »

As a Mac user, this will be the last weekend I can play PzC. Although Slitherine is still accepting money for it as of today, the Mac PzC will not work on Macs with 10.15 or greater installed, which comes out Monday. Sure, I could not update my machine just to play this game, but the reality is that the 64 bit transition has been underway for 12 years, since long before PzC came out, and it is time to leave the past behind.

I do however have 61 hours to play. What should be my final memory of this game?
Elkarlo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Which Scenario Would You Play Last?

Post by Elkarlo »

That stinks. Sorry.
I'd hit Stalingrad docks or Kharkov. Both are fun and challenging battles.
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

That really does s*ck. I think I'd go with either Prokhorovka or Vilna.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I am not sure I would accept that... maybe you could get a cheap PC somewhere?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
proline

Post by proline »

Kharkov and Prokhorovka are excellent suggestions for sure. In the end I decided to do US Corps 42 since it would fit within the time available. The last scenario I'll ever complete was Bizerte.
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 pm I am not sure I would accept that... maybe you could get a cheap PC somewhere?
In theory, I can still play on the iPad as I did prior to when the Mac version came out in 2017. I love this game so much I paid for the gold version, twice. Trouble is, the iPad version doesn't support the larger screen sizes on the iPad Pros, so you can't see much of the map. Once I got used to the Mac version I don't think I'll be able to go back.

At the end of the day, I guess I should be grateful to Slitherine and the always unnamed 3rd party porting house for having the generosity to take my money and give me a crashy, feature incomplete, buggy, hot-running game that lasted just under two years as well as its one and only update that came out a few months later. That is all I deserve.
proline

Post by proline »

Confirmed. From now on PzC will be very different for me. I can no longer play it, per se, but I can stare at this screen and meditate.

heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

proline wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:27 am In theory, I can still play on the iPad as I did prior to when the Mac version came out in 2017. I love this game so much I paid for the gold version, twice. Trouble is, the iPad version doesn't support the larger screen sizes on the iPad Pros, so you can't see much of the map. Once I got used to the Mac version I don't think I'll be able to go back.

At the end of the day, I guess I should be grateful to Slitherine and the always unnamed 3rd party porting house for having the generosity to take my money and give me a crashy, feature incomplete, buggy, hot-running game that lasted just under two years as well as its one and only update that came out a few months later. That is all I deserve.
Like you, I also bought the gold version for both Mac and iPad. I actually played it on iPad Mini so you can imagine how small the screen was then compared to my Macbook Pro.

I agree those of us who bought the Mac version have been treated very poorly. I echo all your comments about it but still, as poor as it was, I found it better than running the Windows version using an emulator - something which was discussed here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 46&t=91104 I play on a Macbook Pro and I don't use a mouse and the Windows version is not really adjusted for trackpad so I found it very inconvenient to move around the screen. However, if you have a Mac with a mouse it might be a good option for you. You should not need to pay for the Windows version again if you bought the gold version, at least I did not have to.

I am still running macOS 10.14 so I can still play the game but I am not sure how long I can resist upgrading... not quite sure what to do to be honest. I realise I will have to upgrade the OS eventually and I can not hold back on security updates etc just in order to play Panzer Corps but Panzer Corps has given me so much entertainment and "killed" hours which would otherwise had been very boring when I was travelling on planes, trains etc...

This really sucks.
proline

Post by proline »

Looks like they may have quietly pulled the Mac game.
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

I might have an idea. Does anyone know if it would be possible to run Panzer Corps Mac on a virtual box running Virtualbox or VMware? If so we could install an old(er) version of MacOS on the virtual box that you only use for Panzer Corps and you never upgrade it.

Does anyone know if Panzer Corps Mac could run under such conditions or would the performance be too poor?
proline

Post by proline »

heinzrondorf wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm I might have an idea. Does anyone know if it would be possible to run Panzer Corps Mac on a virtual box running Virtualbox or VMware? If so we could install an old(er) version of MacOS on the virtual box that you only use for Panzer Corps and you never upgrade it.

Does anyone know if Panzer Corps Mac could run under such conditions or would the performance be too poor?
I don't have much expertise in that area. I do know that Apple's Catalyst software would allow Slitherine to port the iPad version to Mac in a single day. If they spent a week they could add back the support for multiple screen resolutions, etc. It wouldn't be hard. The hard part is overcoming the defeatist attitude that says that there's no money to be made on the Mac. That's only true if you release poor quality ports. There's plenty of money made on the Mac by vendors who sell quality stuff.
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

This is probably the best/only solution:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... c-3659676/

I don't think I will have time to look into this in the near future but will do later
proline

Post by proline »

heinzrondorf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 am This is probably the best/only solution:

I don't think I will have time to look into this in the near future but will do later
Windows dual boot may not have a great future either with the switch to better performing ARM chips coming in 2020...
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

proline wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:34 pm
heinzrondorf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 am This is probably the best/only solution:

Windows dual boot may not have a great future either with the switch to better performing ARM chips coming in 2020...
I did not know that. I think though setting up dual boot with two different versions of macOS might be an interim solution that will work for the time being. You would boot into an old version of macOS (like High Sierra) dedicated to Panzer Corps Mac, that you never update, and then boot back to Mojave for other uses. I don't know how much free hdd space you would need for that but probably at least 20GB or so to allocate to the old macOS.

A bit ridiculous having to have two separate version of macOS installed just to play a game which was released in 2017 but it is what it is...

If any tech savvy Mac user reading this thread wants to try this solution it would be much appreciated. I will try it eventually but I do not think I will have the time for another few weeks.

Return to “Panzer Corps”