A couple questions

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

A couple questions

Post by MaxDoge »

Hi guys, have a couple questions that always had me wondering. Do aerial units count when trying to prevent enemy units from supplying next turn? I know that 3 ground units completely block their supply ability, but not sure how it works with aerial units.

Also, does anyone else feel like sometimes the enemy units see more than they should see? Sometimes they just rush for my transport that should be outside of their spotting range, makes no sense. The only explanation that I could think of in those situations is that the enemy unit goes in that direction for a reason (to recapture a town or just move forward etc) and then it randomly runs into my transport and decides to attack it, but it looks so deliberate even though they didn't have vision of it.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: A couple questions

Post by goose_2 »

Great couple of questions
the first one is easy enough

Planes over the enemy units will prevent supply/reinforcement if it is a clear day, if cloudy or inclement it has no effect.
Planes adjacent to a unit have no effect.

The 2nd is more complicated.
Units move in a specific order for the ai:
Artillery 1st,
2nd Recon
3rd Planes
4th Tanks
5th Infantry.
6th Anti Tanks
7th Artillery that did not move or fire first but may at the end.

(Ships move at some point but they are used so infrequently that I have never bothered to learn their order.)

So if your vulnerable unit is spotted on any of those moves the subsequent moves will take advantage of what those other units saw, but sometimes their planes move in very erratic patterns, especially when they do not see something worth attacking, and if they come across your vulnerable truck boom it attacks.

Same for Infantry, sometimes they are set to move forward and if they happen to find a truck hiding there, they will attack.

I hope this addresses your questions with some clarity.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

MaxDoge wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:31 pm Also, does anyone else feel like sometimes the enemy units see more than they should see? Sometimes they just rush for my transport that should be outside of their spotting range, makes no sense. The only explanation that I could think of in those situations is that the enemy unit goes in that direction for a reason (to recapture a town or just move forward etc) and then it randomly runs into my transport and decides to attack it, but it looks so deliberate even though they didn't have vision of it.
Welcome to the forum, I agree with the points mentioned by goose_2. Also from my experience (mainly with McGuba's Battlefield Europe mod), the AI sometimes:
- just moves towards the next best victory objectives
- is scripted to move (in a certain direction), e.g. if your truck hits the trigger hex

However, I believe the AI does NOT cheat, i.e. it either has seen you (somehow) or it was just bad luck (due to some of the above situations/reasons)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxDoge »

Thanks for the replies guys.
goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pmPlanes over the enemy units will prevent supply/reinforcement if it is a clear day, if cloudy or inclement it has no effect.
Planes adjacent to a unit have no effect.
Wait, you're not saying that 1 plane above the enemy unit is enough to completely prevent both supply and reinforcements? Or do you mean that it only counts if it's directly above the unit, for example 2 adjacent ground units + 1 fighter above a weak enemy unit would prevent it from supplying?
goose_2 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:51 pm Ships move at some point but they are used so infrequently that I have never bothered to learn their order.
From what I've noticed, ships move first, then planes, and then ground units. It's a bit annoying that ships move before everyone else, because they can ruin a bunch of air traps with their vision, so the enemy planes will most likely find good targets.

Yeah, I guess I've been a bit unlucky with the AI stumbling across my transports or weak units by accident.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Planes directly over a unit have the samne effect on supply as a ground unit in contact does, but planes only count towards this if it's clear weather. Some examples below:

1 plane directly overhead + clear weather counts as one unit in contact for enemy supply
1 plane overhead + bad weather has no effect on enemy supply.

2 ground units + plane in clear weather counts as 3 units for enemy supply.
2 ground units + plane in bad weather counts as 2 units for enemy supply.

Hope this helps.
MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxDoge »

Thanks for clearing that up, that is extremely helpful, it will be easier to control which units I want the AI to supply.

Return to “Panzer Corps”