Prestige soft cap

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

jugasa
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Prestige soft cap

Post by jugasa »

Hello, everybody. I have a little question. In gamerules.pzdat it says the next:

# *** Prestige soft cap
# 1=use soft cap, 0=don't use
UseSoftCap 1
NormalPrestige 400
MaxPrestige 800
MinKoff 20

What does MinKoff mean?
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Prestige soft cap

Post by dalfrede »

jugasa wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm What does MinKoff mean?
It is a variable that sets the minimum prestige one gets under the softcap.
ie if the average cost of your fielded units is 900, [above the 800 limit] you will still get 20% prestige.

Under Rommel the 20% gets cut to 10%.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
jugasa
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jugasa »

dalfrede wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:31 pm
jugasa wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm What does MinKoff mean?
It is a variable that sets the minimum prestige one gets under the softcap.
ie if the average cost of your fielded units is 900, [above the 800 limit] you will still get 20% prestige.

Under Rommel the 20% gets cut to 10%.
Oh, it seems a little value that of MinKoff of 20%. I should change it for a 50% value in my gamerules mini-mod using Generic Mod Enabler, of course. Thanks for the advice.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Note that changes to Gamesrules files appear to take effect only at the start of a campaign, rather than at the start of a scenario (as equipment changes do). This can make it a bit harder to test out. Also, tweaking the ranges on Soft Cap can have some strange effects - I managed to get >100% prestige once.

At that point, I deactivated Soft Cap and relied on adjusting the prestige slider (and other difficulty settings) and set personal challenges according to whether I want to unwind or to test myself.
jugasa
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jugasa »

captainjack wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:38 pm Note that changes to Gamesrules files appear to take effect only at the start of a campaign, rather than at the start of a scenario (as equipment changes do). This can make it a bit harder to test out. Also, tweaking the ranges on Soft Cap can have some strange effects - I managed to get >100% prestige once.

At that point, I deactivated Soft Cap and relied on adjusting the prestige slider (and other difficulty settings) and set personal challenges according to whether I want to unwind or to test myself.
Really? I have always thought that softcoded values from data folder files can be changed at will. I have always thought that they were softcoded in order player can change them. Thanks for the advice.
stan23
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by stan23 »

captainjack
Are you sure about the Gamerules files? I never knew that, but in retrospect it would explain some things.
Thanx for a helpful nugget of info. I wonder if it is widely known, as I have been modding my personal files
for years and had no idea?
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

captainjack wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:38 pm Note that changes to Gamesrules files appear to take effect only at the start of a campaign, rather than at the start of a scenario (as equipment changes do). This can make it a bit harder to test out. Also, tweaking the ranges on Soft Cap can have some strange effects - I managed to get >100% prestige once.
I believe that changes to the gamerules file takes effect at the end of a scenario.
So that if you change gamerules during placement at the start of a scenario the change takes place at the start of the next scenario.
As I recall changing the equipment file works the same way.

As an experiment, responding to a question on this forum I was able to earn prestige by overstrengthing.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

In my experience, if you start a campaign with soft cap on, disabiling it in gamesrules doesn't deactivate it.

Equipment file changes used to take effect when the next scenario starts. However, I'm having issues with that at the moment so maybe it's only when using GME that it works at the next scenario change - new PC makes it a bit harder to distinguish operator faults and changes to the way things work.

Of course if you change difficulty settings at the end of a scenario using the standard controls these changes will take effect from the next scenario. Unfortunately, Soft Cap can't be switched off except by modding the gamesrules file, and the settings can't be adjusted except by editing the file.

If Soft Cap is Off, the prestige pointer will show current and per turn prestige, but no % figure - the % figure shows when Soft Cap is On, so at least t's easy to check.
Incidentally, I managed to get to 107% soft cap one time - I was puzzled and checked a couple of times. I have a suspicion it was higher before that, but I was more interested in whether it was on or off at the time and didn't really notice the values until I saw the 107%.
jugasa
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jugasa »

captainjack wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:40 am In my experience, if you start a campaign with soft cap on, disabiling it in gamesrules doesn't deactivate it.
It's possible. I mean changing gamerules.pzdat before starting a campaign. May be you can't change them forward: I don't know. I must add that DLCs and other mods have their own gamerules.pzdat embedded, so I am not sure if changing gamerules.pzdat will work with DLCs and mods. Perhaps it works only with Panzer Corps Wehrmacht, Afrika Korps, Allied Corps and Soviet Corps. Perhaps you should mod DLCs gamerules.pzdat again for that DLC. If you don't like 1.20 gamerules (gamerules.pzdat) we have 1.14 gamerules (gamerules114.pzdat): Groucho Marx.
jugasa
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jugasa »

jugasa wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:43 am If you don't like 1.20 gamerules (gamerules.pzdat) we have 1.14 gamerules (gamerules114.pzdat): Groucho Marx.
Since every add-on, DLC or mod have their own game rules v1.20 (gamerules.pzdat) embedded, I think it is better to edit classic game rules v1.14 (gamerules114.pzdat) and to choose to play with these rules at the beginning of the campaign or scenario without needing of editing every game rules v1.20 each campaign has embedded. It's less work and supposing most players play with v1.20 gamerules which is default setting at Panzer Corps now.

Postdata (17/11/2018): sorry, I have forgot to say something about experience or heroes. Data\gamerules.pzdat and Data\gamerules114.pzdat from a campaign can't be differente from DLC\Data\gamerules.pzdat. They haven't the same number of files and DLC's gamerules.pzdat seems to correct values of core gamerules.pzdat. Experience gain growth is the same at core and DLC. But hero gain rate is different from core to DLC. You need twice kills to gain at hero playing DLC than playing a Campaign with less scenarios. DLCs like Grand Campaign Wehrmacht or US Corps have more scenarios than other campaigns, perhaps Sea Lion has a different hero gain rate. So you shold forget to use game rules v1.14 (gamerules114.pzdat) because larger campaigns game rules can differ from shorter campaign. I encore to use game rules v1.20 (gamerules.pzdat) always and edit separately core game rules and DLC's game rules (which don't have a gamerules114.pzdat file). Sorry, I haven't think about it.
stan23

Post by stan23 »

Just to restate about GME, You have to disable the mod (take it out) of GME and then reload it for any changes you made to anything to take effect.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

After a bit of work I found that there was a problem with my modified equipment file - if you edit it in Excel it saves in a usable format but Open Office saves it in an unusable format, even though when editing it, the appearance is fine. Good job I kept the old PC with a working version of Excel on it.

So, in my experience:
equipment file takes effect the scenario after you install it.
gamesrules takes effect at the start of the campaign and can't be changed in the campaign.
If using GME, the change doesn't take effect until you have deactivated the mod and then reactivated it.
If using modified equipment files or gamesrules, you need to copy these into the DLC (or other extension) folder.
The other thing I've noticed is that when creating a scenario that uses modified equipment files, you need to use GME to activate the modded equipment file in the scenario editor

Personally I keep an unmodified original folder and a working folder with adjusted files, in case of mishaps. It's easier and faster than a full re-install.....

And not strictly on-topic but people reading this may be able to help
I still don't know how to make transports appear as units in their own right (eg air transports, landing craft or triucks and half tracks - eg Kampinoska Forest scenario or Border Raids). Any proven solutions other than to start with a scenario that includes them and re-edit everything else?
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

captainjack wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm After a bit of work I found that there was a problem with my modified equipment file - if you edit it in Excel it saves in a usable format but Open Office saves it in an unusable format, even though when editing it, the appearance is fine. Good job I kept the old PC with a working version of Excel on it.

So, in my experience:
gamesrules takes effect at the start of the campaign and can't be changed in the campaign.
If using GME, the change doesn't take effect until you have deactivated the mod and then reactivated it.
If using modified equipment files or gamesrules, you need to copy these into the DLC (or other extension) folder.
The other thing I've noticed is that when creating a scenario that uses modified equipment files, you need to use GME to activate the modded equipment file in the scenario editor
I Just tested and gamesrules takes effect at the start of the next scenario. I tried it in AC and in GC45.
So it works on the Campaigns and DLCs.
I do not use GME so I don't know how it affects the situation.

I use openoffice and it works. From the Calc
use the Save As -> text csv ; [Check] Filter settings
Use Unicode , not UTF-7 or UTF-8 ; LibreOffice shows as: Unicode (UTF-16)
Field Delimiter -> Tab; Text Delimiter -> null ; ie delete the " .
I tend to review the filter settings each time, as it doesn't always remember.

I save the equipment file as equipment.pzeqp.xls which keeps the viewing format I like.
I gave up on Office for Mac 10 years ago, so I have to figure out how to make OpenOffice work.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Thanks dalfrede. I've been playing for years and still have much to learn.

In particular it will be a great help being able to use Open Office for equipment editing, as I am always fiddling with things.
One day (by about Panzer Corps 3 or 4) I might even finally get round to completing my French and British mods...
NiMa
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:37 pm
captainjack wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:28 pm After a bit of work I found that there was a problem with my modified equipment file - if you edit it in Excel it saves in a usable format but Open Office saves it in an unusable format, even though when editing it, the appearance is fine. Good job I kept the old PC with a working version of Excel on it.

So, in my experience:
I Just tested and gamesrules takes effect at the start of the next scenario. I tried it in AC and in GC45.
So it works on the Campaigns and DLCs.
I do not use GME so I don't know how it affects the situation.

I use openoffice and it works. From the Calc
use the Save As -> text csv ; [Check] Filter settings
Use Unicode , not UTF-7 or UTF-8 ; LibreOffice shows as: Unicode (UTF-16)
Field Delimiter -> Tab; Text Delimiter -> null ; ie delete the " .
I tend to review the filter settings each time, as it doesn't always remember.

I save the equipment file as equipment.pzeqp.xls which keeps the viewing format I like.
I gave up on Office for Mac 10 years ago, so I have to figure out how to make OpenOffice work.

Hi Dalfrede,

I am having a simple question: How can I play this excellent Mod "Battlefield: Europe" on my Macbook Pro (or even if possible, iPad)? I will really appreciate if you help me with this as I have no clue where or how to begin! Cheers :)

Return to “Panzer Corps”