Soviet Corps Campain

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Komiss
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Soviet Corps Campain

Post by Komiss »

I wanna play this Campaign but not sure...
Is it playable ? I read about non-balanced this Campaign.
Any suggestion ?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Soviet Corps Campain

Post by PeteMitchell »

I haven’t really played this one yet, so I can’t say much about this particular mod.

However, what I can say is that if a mod is more historically correct than some of the standard off the shelf campaigns, then it is most likely less balanced as the actual history wasn’t balanced at all… The Allies outproduced the Axis several times on almost anything…
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by nikivdd »

The campaign has a steep level of difficulty. The first scenarios are rather easy against Japan and Poland, more difficult in Finland and brutal against the Germans in 1941/42. First time players should really consider to play on a lower level of difficulty.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

nikivdd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:31 am The campaign has a steep level of difficulty. The first scenarios are rather easy against Japan and Poland, more difficult in Finland and brutal against the Germans in 1941/42. First time players should really consider to play on a lower level of difficulty.
As expected, this sounds like a positive correlation to the actual historic losses/casualties…
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

The issue in this campaign isn't so much that it's "difficult"- there are difficulty settings for that- but rather that the grueling, defensive part comes at the beginning before you've built up a reliable core. Still a fun campaign, but not the first one I'd recommend. I suggest playing the whole GC east first. That will teach you the strengths and weaknesses of the soviets.
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

It is absolutely playable and as balanced as any of the campaigns. It plays somewhat different, you should always study the victory conditions very carefully. It is defintely not more difficult.
Komiss

Post by Komiss »

I didn't play GC East, but only I played Afrika Korps.
For my experience- its good enought ballanced: attack and defence.
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

Komiss wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:15 pm I didn't play GC East, but only I played Afrika Korps.
For my experience- its good enought ballanced: attack and defence.
Yes, there is a good mix of offensive and defensive scenarios - and a couple of unusual ones, like in Afrika Corps.
braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by braccada »

I found the balance quite good actually. Some maps definitely are quite tricky and depending on the difficulty level might require a second attempt, but that is fine. Overall expect to take some losses and reinforce during the mission, as Soviets you have more prestige to work with, than you are used from the German side. They probably overdid it a little with the prestige :) Therefore I would recommend to keep your core forces balanced and use T34s in the mix. It is more fun that way and keeps the challenge up. A wall of IS-2 running the Germans over is well a little dull in the end...
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
IttoOgami
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IttoOgami »

I'd say its not a beginners campaign. Difficulty is a bit non-linear here, the 3 to 5th scenario in the first campaign (especially the 5th one) are among the toughest overall. You will see some new concepts, especially retreatment hexes where you can retreat units and the bring in new ones.

The Red Army is probably the most unique faction you can play in Panzer Corps. For example, initially your aircraft are too weak and inexperienced to face the germans like you would do in other games, so you have to find other ways. They have some interesting units as well. The conscript infantry looks like one of the weakest units at first glance but, if used in the right way, can be one of the most cost-effective units in Soviet Corps, especially early in the game.
hurly

Post by hurly »

IttoOgami wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 pm I'd say its not a beginners campaign. Difficulty is a bit non-linear here, the 3 to 5th scenario in the first campaign (especially the 5th one) are among the toughest overall. You will see some new concepts, especially retreatment hexes where you can retreat units and the bring in new ones.

The Red Army is probably the most unique faction you can play in Panzer Corps. For example, initially your aircraft are too weak and inexperienced to face the germans like you would do in other games, so you have to find other ways. They have some interesting units as well. The conscript infantry looks like one of the weakest units at first glance but, if used in the right way, can be one of the most cost-effective units in Soviet Corps, especially early in the game.
Actually it is a nice diversion to Play the Soviets Ground Bound.
Tried it on my 2nd playthrough on Fieldmarshall Level.
Just Used the 2 Hurricanes in the Silver Fox Scenario Til the end of this Battle and then Let them sit on the Bench.
Same for the occasional Non Core Air Unit. Especially Early on they are Cannon Fodder anyway.

You just Need to adjust a Bit in Investing in some heavy AA Guns Early on. Similar usage in Double Duty analog to the German 8,8
With a Bit more Experience these buggers are Way more efficient then the Money Grave Russian Air Force und you can go without Air Units quite conveniently.
Of course a little Bit adjusting is necessary.

In Terms of Difficulty I would say it is comparable to the Italian Challenge in Afrika Korps. Not that much Harder (if at all) but the extra flavour in doing Things different is really nice.

That said, the Sturmovik (and the Upgrade later on) is a Great Tac Bomber and Really useful. One of my fav Units in the Game.
But with the Arc of the Russian Army und the almost Endless Resources you get it is Not a Must Have.

Don't know if going Ground Bound is an Option for Guderian, Rommel or Manstein Level Resp. their Russian Equivalents, but I Think Rommel should be no Problem, maybe even Easier than Fieldmarshall with all the Prestige you get anyway. Guderian is hard to judge, as the fewer Turns you have might be helpful for a few Scenarios and Making it ultra Hard on Others. And Manstein is a different Animal for all Campaigns. Tried Manstein on a few Scenarios and it is certainly possible.
But I just can't have any Fun playing on Manstein. After all it is still a Game i Play for Fun and Recreation and Not Hard Work. But that is a Thing in the Eye of the Beholder, some just like the Challenge vor the sake of the Challenge and explore what is possible.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

hurly wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 am
IttoOgami wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:51 pm I'd say its not a beginners campaign. Difficulty is a bit non-linear here, the 3 to 5th scenario in the first campaign (especially the 5th one) are among the toughest overall. You will see some new concepts, especially retreatment hexes where you can retreat units and the bring in new ones.

Actually it is a nice diversion to Play the Soviets Ground Bound.
Tried it on my 2nd playthrough on Fieldmarshall Level.
Just Used the 2 Hurricanes in the Silver Fox Scenario Til the end of this Battle and then Let them sit on the Bench.
Same for the occasional Non Core Air Unit. Especially Early on they are Cannon Fodder anyway.

You just Need to adjust a Bit in Investing in some heavy AA Guns Early on. Similar usage in Double Duty analog to the German 8,8
With a Bit more Experience these buggers are Way more efficient then the Money Grave Russian Air Force und you can go without Air Units quite conveniently.
Of course a little Bit adjusting is necessary.

In Terms of Difficulty I would say it is comparable to the Italian Challenge in Afrika Korps. Not that much Harder (if at all) but the extra flavour in doing Things different is really nice.

That said, the Sturmovik (and the Upgrade later on) is a Great Tac Bomber and Really useful. One of my fav Units in the Game.
But with the Arc of the Russian Army und the almost Endless Resources you get it is Not a Must Have.

Don't know if going Ground Bound is an Option for Guderian, Rommel or Manstein Level Resp. their Russian Equivalents, but I Think Rommel should be no Problem, maybe even Easier than Fieldmarshall with all the Prestige you get anyway. Guderian is hard to judge, as the fewer Turns you have might be helpful for a few Scenarios and Making it ultra Hard on Others. And Manstein is a different Animal for all Campaigns. Tried Manstein on a few Scenarios and it is certainly possible.
But I just can't have any Fun playing on Manstein. After all it is still a Game i Play for Fun and Recreation and Not Hard Work. But that is a Thing in the Eye of the Beholder, some just like the Challenge vor the sake of the Challenge and explore what is possible.
Good to see your post hurly, Ground Bound...love it...might try that on Manstein blind when I finally get around to playing this Cam"pain"

Hoping maybe to consider something like Soviet Corps or US Corps when I finally figure out how to record video/audio of me playing the game. :mrgreen:
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

As I'd just reinstalled Panzer Corps on a new PC I thought I'd give Soviet Corps a try again.
It's more varied than I remember with a few tough challenges. There is a bit of temptation to play a wall of tanks, although a few infantrty are usually useful - early on the conscripts are surprisingly effective.

There's some interesting challenges on mix of artillery (well supplied towed guns- the switchable 76 has 11 ammo if you respply as an AT gun - and poorly supplied SPGs which have a useful AT switch with some nice rocket artillery later on that has so-so armour and shorter range.

Tank choice is a bit limited early on (KV1s) as you'd almost certainly come to a quick end if you tried fielding a historically inspired force of mainly T26s and BT7s. Later on, the trade off between high speed T34/85, tougher but slower, IS21 and IS2 which is great but has only 4 ammo adds a bit of interest.

Another interesting point is that your fighters are pretty near useless until well into the game, so you are better off fielding two or 3 85s (my first two got 3* and then both got a spotting hero so were sent to Siberia) and maybe an SU6, theough for a few scenarios I simply accepted the need to reinforce a bit more often and accepted losses.

As I wasn't after a serious challenge I was playing on Colonel, but it could be interesting to play with a tough prestige restriction, as there's a lot of good upgrades that are out-of series and therefore expensive, so you'd have to plan quite carefully to get the most out of your upgrades.
Komiss

Post by Komiss »

captainjack wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 pm As I'd just reinstalled Panzer Corps on a new PC I thought I'd give Soviet Corps a try again.
It's more varied than I remember with a few tough challenges. There is a bit of temptation to play a wall of tanks, although a few infantrty are usually useful - early on the conscripts are surprisingly effective.

There's some interesting challenges on mix of artillery (well supplied towed guns- the switchable 76 has 11 ammo if you respply as an AT gun - and poorly supplied SPGs which have a useful AT switch with some nice rocket artillery later on that has so-so armour and shorter range.

Tank choice is a bit limited early on (KV1s) as you'd almost certainly come to a quick end if you tried fielding a historically inspired force of mainly T26s and BT7s. Later on, the trade off between high speed T34/85, tougher but slower, IS21 and IS2 which is great but has only 4 ammo adds a bit of interest.

Another interesting point is that your fighters are pretty near useless until well into the game, so you are better off fielding two or 3 85s (my first two got 3* and then both got a spotting hero so were sent to Siberia) and maybe an SU6, theough for a few scenarios I simply accepted the need to reinforce a bit more often and accepted losses.

As I wasn't after a serious challenge I was playing on Colonel, but it could be interesting to play with a tough prestige restriction, as there's a lot of good upgrades that are out-of series and therefore expensive, so you'd have to plan quite carefully to get the most out of your upgrades.
Time to try :)
RVallant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RVallant »

I'm not a massive fan of it tbh, it feels disjointed. There could have been a few more defensive scenarios early on to encourage the building of a more balanced corps.

For me, in the early game the only reliable units are your heavy tanks and your ground AA. Infantry is dire until Guards come along and the air war is pointless until quite late on since Soviet planes just get demolished.

Just a heads up but Finland is very easy to DV on if you pay attention to objectives and basically ignore the west in full. Go East and take out the objective there, send the rest of your forces north through the gap and around the mountains and you basically rear-strike the north-west objective, which is relatively undefended.

I've not quite been able to get a decisive at Smolensk though.

Return to “Panzer Corps”