Beginner Friendly Content

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

vonkrieger
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Beginner Friendly Content

Post by vonkrieger »

I noticed in another thread here that the Grand Campaigns are considered easier than the 39' original campaign. Is this true?

I ask because I've found the 39' campaign to be very unforgiving, everything is on such a tight timeline that it feels that even one or two goofs can cost me the decisive which isn't ideal when just learning. I've played the game quite a bit and have the fundamentals down but it is a constant challenge, largely because of the simple scale of the maneuvers require excellent coordination and planning.

I have dipped into the desert rats campaign and found the scenarios much more beginner friendly, smaller maps and much clearer instructions. However, I seem to have hit a "bonus level" where I am attacking battleships with single shot torpedo bombers which is a little strange. The soviet corps also felt more beginner friendly as it is more defensive but scared me off with the rapidly expanding scale.

So, my question is: what do people think is the best place to start for a new player? Is there a campaign that scales linearly in complexity that you would recommend?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Beginner Friendly Content

Post by PeteMitchell »

Well, I guess different people will have different views on this subject, so my two cents…

I think a lot depends on the difficulty level: what level are you playing on? Maybe start by reducing it a bit and just play whatever you enjoy playing (normal campaign, GC, etc.)… For me it’s first of all a game to play for fun and enjoyment and not necessarily due to ambition or for competition. When you play on lower difficulties, most likely you will become better over time and can increase the difficulty level… (Nonetheless, I prefer to play the AI at “2”, it’s more active instead of just passive)

I remember when I played PG the first time (many years ago) I played the first two scenarios (Poland and Warsaw) over and over again to basically learn the game mechanics and to practice. Today, there are also several youtube videos you could consult for inspiration…

So I would suggest play whatever you enjoy but maybe lower the difficulty to start with... (as with chess: it's easy to learn but hard to master)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

I played through the base game on General and read the forums for help on some of the tougher scenarios (Bagration and Lake Balaton). Once I finished I had a better idea of the game mechanics and how the AI worked so I played through again on Field Marshal. Then I played Afrika Korps, which I really enjoyed as it is more diverse and the scenarios are more creative. Then I moved on to the Grand Campaigns which can be a bit of a slog - I'm currently having my second break from it. My advice would be to play the base game and don't be afraid to restart and try a different tack if it's not working. There's lots of good advice and tips/tricks on this forum that can help with the learning curve. Most importantly, enjoy it!
braccada

Post by braccada »

I think falling one or two turns short is simply part of the package or part of the fun in Panzer Corps. Try again, get better and get them. On the other hand if you just want to enjoy a moderate challenge lower the difficulty level. In my opinion this are two different approaches where in the first you simply have to accept that you will redo maps often until you are above the skill level, the maps are designed for.

As for campaigns I would suggest the vanilla campaign (Wehrmacht) first, because it has a nice pace, well designed maps and it is not as overwhelming as the Grand Campaign. Then switch to Afrika Korps. Now you will be more able to appreciate the differnt style and the creativity of those maps. If you still want more pick whatever you like.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
vonkrieger

Post by vonkrieger »

Thanks for the great replies, I might reduce the difficulty. I'm currently playing on the default difficulty which is level 3.

Interesting to note the default difficulty is level 2 in Order of Battle which made selecting it less of a blow to my pride in that game but it would make sense that it's a good place to start in PzC too. :)
Elkarlo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Elkarlo »

Turn off fog of war. So much to learn and figure out at first. No need to worry about ambushes or aaa knocking out your planes.
I played the GC without fow til 42, really helped me figure out what works and without it making it too hard
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Elkarlo wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am Turn off fog of war. So much to learn and figure out at first. No need to worry about ambushes or aaa knocking out your planes.
I played the GC without fow til 42, really helped me figure out what works and without it making it too hard
This is definitely an option as well. However, be aware that the AI behavior can change a bit as well with fog of war off as it now also “sees” more… :shock:
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Elkarlo

Post by Elkarlo »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:43 am
Elkarlo wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:50 am
This is definitely an option as well. However, be aware that the AI behavior can change a bit as well with fog of war off as it now also “sees” more… :shock:
That it does. But you get a feel for what the scenario wants. Also you're less likely to move units around where they can get jumped, like in transports without blocking units. It's good practice
AnalogGamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by AnalogGamer »

If you still feel like you could use a little boost in the game, go to advanced tab. Add a turn or two. Take away some enemy prestige or over-strength.

General setting, with a few tweaks to make it more favorable, is a great way to get into the thick of it. AI to 2. Colonel and below may seem too easy for a lot of the GC.
vonkrieger

Post by vonkrieger »

AnalogGamer wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:52 pm If you still feel like you could use a little boost in the game, go to advanced tab. Add a turn or two. Take away some enemy prestige or over-strength.

General setting, with a few tweaks to make it more favorable, is a great way to get into the thick of it. AI to 2. Colonel and below may seem too easy for a lot of the GC.
I've bumped it down to Lieutenant for base '39 campaign and am finding it maybe a little too easy but definitely more my speed.

I didn't know you could modify those things in the advanced tab! It could be a great way to ease myself into Colonel when the time is right.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

If you've already started a campaign, you can change the difficulty at the end of a scenario.
AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

Yes, and then there is the cheat code list for in-game adjustments as needed.

https://www.gamespot.com/panzer-corps/cheats/
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

...and be prepared not never quit learning, especially from ones own mistakes and from suggestions of fellow players

Return to “Panzer Corps”