Let's talk Tournament 2018 (Interaction + Vlog)

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Let's talk Tournament 2018 (Interaction + Vlog)

Post by Lifever »

Hello and welcome fellow Panzer Corps players!

The field of competitors in the Tournament has come down to a more accessible group - out of over 130 initial contestants there are 56 still left. In one weeks time we should be around 39 still standing, so it may not be total chaos to get a little picture on who is still in the running.
Besides: I didn't have that idea earlier. ;(

Therefore I take the first step into uncharted territory... by introducing myself in a more personal behind-the-scenes-way, so you know a little bit about me and what I am up to:

>>> https://youtu.be/iNvDakG82t8 <<<

Question raised:
Who are all the others, who are still alive and kicking?

Feel free to disclose whatever you want to about yourself...

Hopefully we not only get a more colorful picture of the generals around, but also a platform to talk stuff of minor importance or entertainment on the sideline without trashing the official threat.

I will also keep Vlogs in the same style in this thread to feed the campfire.

So..."stick around" ;)
NightPhoenix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Let's talk Tournament 2018 (Interaction + Vlog)

Post by NightPhoenix »

Let me be the first to comment here then.

I'm a 28 year old male from the Netherlands. I'm a teacher, no kids myself yet though, but i do have some cats? =P How did i get into Panzer Corps, well......hmm, how did i get into Panzer Corps? Or even wargaming....... I think it al began with one great game..... Command and Conquer: Red Alert of course! Altering history and conquering Europe since 9 years old and i haven't changed a bit. ;) Besides wargaming, i like reading a lot, mostly the classics, philosophy, but also alternate history, and maybe fantasy and SF, depending on the story. As for the cows, those are really beautiful and should be implemented in more of your videos.

For the minor talking/chatting topic, let me put out a statement and let's see where it goes: Dutch people really know how to brew coffee. Filter coffee, so no pads or whatever kinda stuff, made in the Netherlands is the best. No milk, no sugar, and strong as a cows dung is smelly makes for a perfect brew. ;)
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Not sure what else I can share about myself that I have not already said a bunch of times...

I am, 45, married, 8 children, a confessional Lutheran, who has a passion for history that centers around World War 2.
I homeschool my kids and work as an underwriter at a bank helping people into their homes.

How did my interest in World War 2 begin?
It probably all stems from playing little plastic army men with my brother growing up as well as reading Sgt. Rock and GI Combat Comics in my youth.

I continue to read many books and journals on the subject of World War 2 and yet consider myself still limited in my full understanding of the conflict as I continue to shape my understanding the more I learn.

Where did my interest in this game come from:
That is easy it started with Panzer General which I would play and play at the most difficult levels, I saw a sale for this game about 3 and half years ago. I bought just the vanilla game, played the first scenario, saw that you immediately went to Norway, and wanted more...so the next day bought all the Grand Campaign package...I now own it all, and continually play the Grand Campaign on increasingly more difficult levels. I love the game so much because it is like a puzzle that you sure if you just try something a little different you can beat it, or at least play it better.

This brings me to multiplayer:
I saw this side to the game and decided to test it out a few days into playing.
I found players instantly who were friendly and were willing to show me the ropes to be a better player.
I loved the challenge of playing and learning creative ways to play familiar scenarios.
Based on my love for this challenge I started implementing small scale tournaments on this forum where I would get maybe like 8 participants.

Eventually I came into contact with the Slitherine folks and convinced them to hold a Tournament in 2016.
They had 32 participants, I got 2nd place. :mrgreen:

In 2017 they let me organize and implement a new Tournament that they helped promote and would award prizes for.
We had 64 participants, alexrus was the winner that year.
(I did not play only organized)

In 2018 I went all out trying to have a more inclusive Tournament where everyone felt like they had a shot as they at least had 3 times to win a scenario and everyone would know what the next scenario would be because it would be following a set progression of a campaign.
We garnered over 130 participants, (actual figures are difficult to attain as some people were not able to make it on the 1st scenario and I am not the best at record keeping)
I am participating in this one, but do not expect to even place as I already have 2 losses under my belt.

This has been very fun but also painful as well...ya know all that stuff detailed on the Tournament page.
(Not going to rehash here)

I am happy with this community and with the players of this game, hoping to see more participants share their thoughts here and am really looking forward to hopefully setting up Round 7 next week. ;)

Rush to Moscow!!!
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

I am 42, married, two kids, working in a legal profession. I am probably the only German who is not watching TV right now while the German team is playing soccer somewhere in Russia. The Panter Corps 2018 tournament is much more exciting than the FIFA world cup. I have been playing Panzer Corps since 2012, participating in a few beta-tests for DLCs. I never had much interest in multiplayer ubntil this tournament. I don´t like the symmetric setups most standard multiplayer maps offer. Playing assymetric maps from the campaign against human players is a very novel and exciting challenge, though. In the past,

I played Panter General II a lot in the 90ies. History is a passion of mine, including military history - growing up near the Danish border, I could hardly make a step without coming across relics of past conflicts, be it Viking, medieval Danish vs. Saxons, the Danish-Prussian conflicts of the 19th century.
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

First let me tell you how much I love where you live. Waking up to see that everyday sounds OK to me! I also enjoyed the Arnold reference. :D

A little about me I'm 32, no children, I have a fiance. I live in USA, FL It is so hot right now :(. I am a university student. Big fan of panzer general II, I played that game all the time when I was 12 years old. I have played panzer corps since at least 2012 on and off. I really enjoy multiplayer gaming and competitive gaming, so I'm very thankful for this opportunity in panzer corp. Single player just doesn't interest me. Maybe once we have competent AI I will enjoy single player. However at the point the AI can play Panzer Corp at a competitive level the world may be in trouble. Maybe not? The AI is already better at chess then the best humans, that has been since the 90s with deep blue and its only gotten worse. How much more complicated is panzer corp compared to chess? Is it like chess compared to checkers?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

So...Lifever wanted to understand where the name Goose came from...thinking possible Top Gun connection...good guess but no...

So my nickname Goose, is actually not my nickname at all, except here, it is my eldest sons nickname I gave him when he was like 18 months.

I used to call my oldest a number of different things but when my wife and I were looking for our first house our realtor heard me calling him Goose, short for silly Goose, and she did not like it.

So that sealed the deal, he was Goose from then on...so when I used to play role playing stuff or needed a name for stuff I started using it as a name...
The underslash and 2 is to make sure no one else had taken the name.

That is the origin of goose_2

So thanks to my eldest son I am now known as Goose on Panzer Corps.

I like it and strangely it fits.

(And yes the other 7 children have nicknames, but none stuck quite as solidly as Goose did.)

That leaves the rest of the readers to share their origin of their user name.

Lifever?
goose_2

Lifever

Post by Lifever »

goose_2 wrote:I like it and strangely it fits.
Lifever?
Never got the goose-appeal, that's why I asked. Even in TopGun I asked myself as a kid: Why Goose? All the other guys try to have the most badass names, showing off... Wolfman, Iceman, Sidewinder.. and he is Goose - the nice family-guy, the perfect friend. Like he is actually fully prepared to go in a tragic accident and leave everybody devestated just because of his nickname alone. Could you think bad of somebody who calls himself Goose!? ;)

But it's different if you translate words. "Gans" in German sounds ultra harmless, so "Goose" never shakes that off although it's a little bit different as a word than in German. Similar to "Cat" - sounds fairly sexy in english, but "Katze" in German just... not so much.

---

Now mine is actually not that big of a story.. It's our personal development and goal for the future in one word.

I haven't played multiplayer games for over ten years.
To "qualify" for the tournament (remembering an account password is an accomplishment!) I needed a nickname. I didn't want to use my German roleplaying Ultima Online nerd nickname. Had to be something new.

With the idea in mind to represent or make the joy of living appealing in video format (opposed to all the stuff that you can find on youtube, which is basically a market representation - not all bad, but most of it one-sided) .. it was just a simple step from life to the growing focus on life. Saves creative ressources to find a seperate nickname that sounds dangerous for Panzer Corps and another one for the peaceful stuff. ;)
Life + Fever. It's addictive... and once you catch it, you don't want to go back to just work and ignore all the awesome things we are used to and often just pass by because of that.

Sorry if someone expected something light-hearted :)
To make up for it: Just unlocked a pretty neat "pro-move" in the game - The BF-multikill... if you really feel the need for speed.. (of course somebody will have pulled that of before, but still learning).
There's a lot of funny stuff hidden in the game... so little time for so many ideas. ;)
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

NightPhoenix wrote:let me put out a statement and let's see where it goes: Dutch people really know how to brew coffee. Filter coffee [...] made in the Netherlands is the best.
I can tell you exactly where that goes:
Into a big argument, more countries dropping out of the european union, decades of tainted diplomatic relationships. Everybody knows that the best coffee on planet earth can only be enjoyed in Vienna.
Why is that you may ask? Will explain when "on location", because the whole world needs to understand... ;)
NightPhoenix wrote:I'm a 28 year old male
Wanted to ask that before, thanks for delivering the occasion: Are there women playing Panzer Corps?

(Please don't let me distract anybody from talking about themselves... that's still the main focus.)
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Lifever wrote:
goose_2 wrote:I like it and strangely it fits.
Lifever?
Never got the goose-appeal, that's why I asked. Even in TopGun I asked myself as a kid: Why Goose? All the other guys try to have the most badass names, showing off... Wolfman, Iceman, Sidewinder.. and he is Goose - the nice family-guy, the perfect friend. Like he is actually fully prepared to go in a tragic accident and leave everybody devestated just because of his nickname alone. Could you think bad of somebody who calls himself Goose!? ;)

But it's different if you translate words. "Gans" in German sounds ultra harmless, so "Goose" never shakes that off although it's a little bit different as a word than in German. Similar to "Cat" - sounds fairly sexy in english, but "Katze" in German just... not so much.
Geese have a reputation of being ultra-aggressive maniacs...
Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare »

I am 46 years old, married, 2 children. In Göttingen (Germany) I have studied mathmatics and still living there with my family, working as a programmer.

turnbased computer games are my favourite hobby, starting with Mike Singeltons Lords of Midnight in 1984. So I tried really a lot of turnbased games after that, but I have to admit to never played the famous Panzer General. From 2011 to 2013 I played Panzer Corps a lot, most of the time multiplayer games. I think I played the campaign not more the once, so nearly all I know about the game I learned within multiplayer games. In the beginning of this year I noticed Goose call to arms while playing Field of Glory II. So I reinstalled Panzer Corps, read tutorials I had written years ago and by accident had my first test game with goose in norway, who gave me a bloody nose ;-)

Fantasy roleplaying games are another of my favorites. Gwaylare was originally the name of a Shadowrun character I used in the early 90s. She died very soon because of some capriciousness dice, so I am using her name now for more then 25 years in multiplayer games of all kind.

So I am used to play board games as well, so I like to talk to my opponents to get a picture whom I am fighting against. With all my opponents I had a really good time so far and with most of them I had at least a test game after that, to train the next szenarios.

So overall I am enjoying this tournament very much. Thanks to goose for all the administration. See you in Stalingrad, goose.

Best regards
Gwaylare
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

Gwaylare wrote:Fantasy roleplaying games are another of my favorites. Gwaylare was originally the name of a Shadowrun character I used in the early 90s. She died very soon because of some capriciousness dice, so I am using her name now for more then 25 years in multiplayer games of all kind.

So I am used to play board games as well, so I like to talk to my opponents to get a picture whom I am fighting against.
I have been a roleplayer before I even had a computer, these days turning slowly into a boardgamer because of more playing oppotunities in my vicinity. I shouldn´t be surprised by this - many if not most roleplayers I know play computer games as well, but I wonder if the intersection between these groups is even higher here.
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Picking up a shovel and farming some cheap clicks... ;)

No, seriously - In case somebody is not following the tourney, here is some incentive to do so:

Let me know if there are topics of interest. I got another vlog already shot... including some really enormous cows. I noticed nightphoenix youtube account closed down... hopefully he is doing alright.

What else is NEXT?
I got questions regarding my opinion on Panzer Corps 2... so I will take care of that soon. (Time window for constructive input is closing...)

With the end of the tourney around the corner there will definitely be some content about improving multiplayer game... and my take on some game mechanics.

Vlog topics for the near future are
* Panzer Corps -> Esports?
* Learning curve
* Explanation on how that game works for newbies (yeah, not interesting for the vets, but maybe for friends of those vets who don't get the appeal of the game ;)
* Maybe I will also disect some game mechanis...

Game reports are still overdue and I get how important they really are.
Maybe I will take the easy route of just recording the replays and commenting on them. ;)

Hope you can find some enjoyment in any of that...

Cheers!
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Lifever wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 pm Picking up a shovel and farming some cheap clicks... ;)

No, seriously - In case somebody is not following the tourney, here is some incentive to do so:

Let me know if there are topics of interest. I got another vlog already shot... including some really enormous cows. I noticed nightphoenix youtube account closed down... hopefully he is doing alright.

What else is NEXT?
I got questions regarding my opinion on Panzer Corps 2... so I will take care of that soon. (Time window for constructive input is closing...)

With the end of the tourney around the corner there will definitely be some content about improving multiplayer game... and my take on some game mechanics.

Vlog topics for the near future are
* Panzer Corps -> Esports?
* Learning curve
* Explanation on how that game works for newbies (yeah, not interesting for the vets, but maybe for friends of those vets who don't get the appeal of the game ;)
* Maybe I will also disect some game mechanis...

Game reports are still overdue and I get how important they really are.
Maybe I will take the easy route of just recording the replays and commenting on them. ;)

Hope you can find some enjoyment in any of that...

Cheers!
Love this stuff...so much excitement and energy.

Made me laugh hard
goose_2

Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Now about those women...

The Panzer Corps playing I mean, who are apparently nonexistent.

I would blame marketing, because women like to play a lot of games who share elements of Panzer Corps - puzzles and such, tower defense too, but the military background and seemingly tech-heavy stuff is probably the final nail in the coffin.
Just to be clear: I don't expect a lot.. but there's a steep difference between very few and none. There are so many games out there today though with focus on some of said aspects. You probably have to be pretty hardcore to still play Panzer Corps after 7 years.

All the more impressive to get that many into a tourney. It's the increase in people that got to me... otherwise I wouldn't even have had a lot of ideas for this tourney, probably including participation or doing promos.

Return to “Panzer Corps”