Battle Field Europe on the Mac

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Battle Field Europe on the Mac

Post by dalfrede »

A bad idea whose time has come?
Screen ShotBfE Mac.jpg
Screen ShotBfE Mac.jpg (141.97 KiB) Viewed 4513 times
Not Photoshopped.
Not played either, but does start.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
dalfrede

Re: Battle Field Europe on the Mac

Post by dalfrede »

NiMa wrote: I am having a simple question: How can I play this excellent Mod "Battlefield: Europe" on my Macbook Pro (or even if possible, iPad)? I will really appreciate if you help me with this as I have no clue where or how to begin! Cheers :)
PzC on iPad can not be modded without jailbreaking

PzC on the Mac is an port of the iPad version, not designed for Mods.
Simple Mods like Nico's equipment mod and GC upgrades can be used on the Mac as easily as on the PC.

BattleFieldEurope is a complicated mod that uses GME for easy[?] use.

The cheapest and best way to is to use wineskin to play the PC version of PzC.

Do not buy anything yet.
First get and load 'Unofficial Wineskin Winery.app' and Engine: WS9Wine2.22 .

This is a test, if you can get that far you should be able to run PzC on your Mac. I can help you with getting it to work on your Mac.

Note 1I debug on my MacPro and play on my MacAir.

Note 2: If you buy from Matrix Games, [Download or CD], this forum can create a Steam auth code from your Matrix auth code.
Also the auth code works for Mac version and PC version.
The PortingTeam has ports for Steam, but I have not tried it.[second hint]
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
NiMa
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 pm
NiMa wrote: I am having a simple question: How can I play this excellent Mod "Battlefield: Europe" on my Macbook Pro (or even if possible, iPad)? I will really appreciate if you help me with this as I have no clue where or how to begin! Cheers :)
PzC on iPad can not be modded without jailbreaking

PzC on the Mac is an port of the iPad version, not designed for Mods.
Simple Mods like Nico's equipment mod and GC upgrades can be used on the Mac as easily as on the PC.

BattleFieldEurope is a complicated mod that uses GME for easy[?] use.

The cheapest and best way to is to use wineskin to play the PC version of PzC.

Do not buy anything yet.
First get and load 'Unofficial Wineskin Winery.app' and Engine: WS9Wine2.22 .

This is a test, if you can get that far you should be able to run PzC on your Mac. I can help you with getting it to work on your Mac.

Note 1I debug on my MacPro and play on my MacAir.

Note 2: If you buy from Matrix Games, [Download or CD], this forum can create a Steam auth code from your Matrix auth code.
Also the auth code works for Mac version and PC version.
The PortingTeam has ports for Steam, but I have not tried it.[second hint]

Hiya,

Thank you for your help.

I just could download the "Unofficial Wineskin Winery.app" as well as "WS9Wine2.22" engine. There were many other engines available to download too (like "WS9WineStaging64Bit4.0" and else) which seem quite more updated version (please correct me if I am wrong!)

So what should I do now? Should I buy it from the Slitherine website directly? How should I proceed next? (I bought it from Steam but unlike other games like HoI4 there weren't any of these MoDs available so I returned it).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

And again, thank you for your amazing help! :)

P.S. It would be great if someone could provide a simple manual (and inform others who may come across the same problem as me) or even better, uploading a video on YouTube or here to help out.

Cheers
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

NiMa wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm P.S. It would be great if someone could provide a simple manual (and inform others who may come across the same problem as me) or even better, uploading a video on YouTube or here to help out.
I think I will do that, but it may a few days.
NiMa wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm I just could download the "Unofficial Wineskin Winery.app" as well as "WS9Wine2.22" engine. There were many other engines available to download too (like "WS9WineStaging64Bit4.0" and else) which seem quite more updated version (please correct me if I am wrong!)

So what should I do now? Should I buy it from the Slitherine website directly? How should I proceed next? (I bought it from Steam but unlike other games like HoI4 there weren't any of these MoDs available so I returned it).
The engine issue is complicated. If you go to page 5 of Gcenx's topic on "Unofficial Wineskin Winery" you can read the discussion we had getting things to work.
Download the engines you need through the winery app. One uses the engine that works with your port, not the latest one.

Some issues I noticed during my Mojave upgrade.
On my MacPro
PzC runs on Engine WS9Wine2.5 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.22
jsgme_setup.exe runs on WS9Wine2.22 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.5
jsgme.exe runs on both.

On my MacAir
PzC runs on Engine WS9Wine2.22 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.5

Now leaving the land of plug n play and into actual computing.
Winery.jpg
Winery.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 4262 times
Click on 'Create New Blank Wrapper'

When done be sure to click 'View wrapper in Finder' so you can find it.

If it is not where you want it, move it to the proper location, label wrapper 'PzC' or something similar.

Now one need two things:
PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe or PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe
And
Auth Code
You get the Auth Code from your DVD or when you buy download. ie Buy the download game. The Store button on the top of the site takes you there.

Double Click on your PzC Wrapper, Click Install Software, Click Choose Setup Executable.
Find and choose PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe; Install PzC as you would on Windows PC.

When completed double click on PzC wrapper and start PzC.
The opening video will not play, just click through the blank screen, start a game to ensure it works.
Save the game and quit. You are done with part one.
If the PzC starts but can't start a new game, change the wine engine.

Your saved game should be in ~/Documents/MyGames/PanzerCorps/save/Whatever.pzsav

More later
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I don't know much about Macs (although I admire them in some way)... :mrgreen:

However, as far as I can tell, when playing Battlefield Europe version 1.9 on a PC, you actually don't need the GME Generic Mod Enabler for it, i.e. just in case getting the GME up and running is a showstopper, maybe compare here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 40#p754121
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm However, as far as I can tell, when playing Battlefield Europe version 1.9 on a PC, you actually don't need the GME Generic Mod Enabler for it, i.e. just in case getting the GME up and running is a showstopper, maybe compare here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 40#p754121
Actually the brute force method might work for the commercial Mac port, with a little DRM fiddling that we will not be discussing, but I don't know if it is worth the effort. GME is not that hard.

Here is a first draft:

Edit

Deleted download, has errors, try new version below
Last edited by dalfrede on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:28 pm
NiMa wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm P.S. It would be great if someone could provide a simple manual (and inform others who may come across the same problem as me) or even better, uploading a video on YouTube or here to help out.
NiMa wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm I just could download the "Unofficial Wineskin Winery.app" as well as "WS9Wine2.22" engine. There were many other engines available to download too (like "WS9WineStaging64Bit4.0" and else) which seem quite more updated version (please correct me if I am wrong!)

The engine issue is complicated. If you go to page 5 of Gcenx's topic on "Unofficial Wineskin Winery" you can read the discussion we had getting things to work.
Download the engines you need through the winery app. One uses the engine that works with your port, not the latest one.

Some issues I noticed during my Mojave upgrade.
On my MacPro
PzC runs on Engine WS9Wine2.5 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.22
jsgme_setup.exe runs on WS9Wine2.22 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.5
jsgme.exe runs on both.

On my MacAir
PzC runs on Engine WS9Wine2.22 but not on Engine WS9Wine2.5

Now leaving the land of plug n play and into actual computing.

Winery.jpg

Click on 'Create New Blank Wrapper'

When done be sure to click 'View wrapper in Finder' so you can find it.

If it is not where you want it, move it to the proper location, label wrapper 'PzC' or something similar.

Now one need two things:
PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe or PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe
And
Auth Code
You get the Auth Code from your DVD or when you buy download. ie Buy the download game. The Store button on the top of the site takes you there.

Double Click on your PzC Wrapper, Click Install Software, Click Choose Setup Executable.
Find and choose PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe; Install PzC as you would on Windows PC.

When completed double click on PzC wrapper and start PzC.
The opening video will not play, just click through the blank screen, start a game to ensure it works.
Save the game and quit. You are done with part one.
If the PzC starts but can't start a new game, change the wine engine.

Your saved game should be in ~/Documents/MyGames/PanzerCorps/save/Whatever.pzsav

More later

Thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining it all mate! :)

I installed Engine WS9Wine2.5 on my Mac Pro (it's Mac OS Mojave 10.14.2) in addition to the one I downloaded yesterday (WS9Wine2.22). Also, I created a New Blank Wrapper (for WS9Wine2.5), named it PzC and saved in App. I just bought Panzer Corps (the main version for Mac) from the website and it's downloaded. BattlefieldEurope19 MoD has been downloaded, however from now on it seems really confusing and I am not sure at what to do next (I've tried to do what you mentioned but nothing's worked so far).

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Cheers
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

[/quote]

That would be absolutely fantastic as I am sure there are many people with Macbook who want to understand how to install these amazing MoDs and enjoy Panzer Corps even much more than ever before!
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

Actually the brute force method might work for the commercial Mac port, with a little DRM fiddling that we will not be discussing, but I don't know if it is worth the effort. GME is not that hard.

Here is a first draft:

PzC Mac Wineskin V0.9.doc.zip
[/quote]

Oh sorry, I just saw this file thanks to a reminder from PeteMitchell! I am going to go through it now and will keep you posted shortly.
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:22 pm
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm However, as far as I can tell, when playing Battlefield Europe version 1.9 on a PC, you actually don't need the GME Generic Mod Enabler for it, i.e. just in case getting the GME up and running is a showstopper, maybe compare here: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985&start=2240#p754121

Here is a first draft:

PzC Mac Wineskin V0.9.doc.zip
Oh sorry, I just saw this file thanks to a reminder from PeteMitchell! I am going to go through this and will keep you posted shortly. Cheers
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

Oh sorry, I just saw this file thanks to a reminder from PeteMitchell! I am going to go through this and will keep you posted shortly. Cheers
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

I uploaded my guide yesterday. Look it over, if you have questions, ask.

First install the game.
I found it easier to install the game than to get it working.

Software developers have their own way of doing things. They are usually quite obvious.
But if you don't know their particular style, they can be impossible to follow.
One learns by playing around with the software and making mistakes.

GME is very easy to use. But people have trouble with it.
Over the last few days I installed ~5 times figuring out how it works, and how to document it.
Conclusion, while it has an installer, but would work easier as a zip file.
Just place JSGME.EXE into your 'Panzer Corps' installation folder, create a MODS folder, drop your mods in to the MODS folder, run.
It creates it's own JSGME.INI file.
The only problem I had with BattleFieldEurope was that it had nested folders, and if you place the top one in MODS it clams to have been installed but nothing happens. Look a little closer and Duh!

Frustration is part of the software development game. 'Embrace the Suck' .

Edit
NiMa you can edit old posts and/or delete them, you have some double posts here.
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

ss5.png
dalfrede wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm I uploaded my guide yesterday. Look it over, if you have questions, ask.

First install the game.

Software developers have their own way of doing things. They are usually quite obvious.

Over the last few days I installed ~5 times figuring out how it works, and how to document it.
Just place JSGME.EXE into your 'Panzer Corps' installation folder, create a MODS folder, drop your mods in to the MODS folder, run.
The only problem I had with BattleFieldEurope was that it had nested folders, and if you place the top one in MODS it clams to have been installed but nothing happens. Look a little closer and Duh!

Edit
NiMa you can edit old posts and/or delete them, you have some double posts here.

Hiya,

Thanks for the message.

I've gone through the procedure explained in the word file, however, I am not sure if I am doing it the right way. So after creating a New Blank Wrapper (using the engine WS9Wine2.5) on my MacBook Pro and renaming it to PzC, I am kinda stuck: It is mentioned I need two things either "PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe or PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe" plus "Auth Code"
I bought Panzer Corps (Wehrmacht, the basic version and not the gold one) for Mac from the Slitherine website. I wonder whether I need the gold version or not (I hope not indeed as I had already spent a lot of money to buy quite a few DLCs on my iPad before and am not willing to spend that much money again on my Mac). Also not sure about the Auth code, is it the Serial Number or sth else?

Besides, I tried to install BattlefieldEurope as well. So I copied PzC and renamed it to PzCBeF, right click on PzCBef to show the package content, then double click on the Wineskin icon (I made sure to use WS9Wine2.22), click to install the software, select jsgme_setup.exe from 'BattlefieldEurope19' folder. And then problems begin. I really have no idea where to install it! But anyway, finally I installed it and move the JSGME.exe to the content in Panzer Corps folder in Applications. I also created a MODS folder there (inside the content in PZ folder) and moved all the seven files of BattlefieldEurope v19 into it (including data, audio but without jsgme_setup.exe file). The content (in PZ folder) has got all the main three folders required: JSMGE.exe, JSGME.ini, MODS folder.

Then I tried to install the MoD using "Wineskin Advanced Configuration" but here comes another problem: what location should I put there? I tested "Macintosh HD\Applications\PanzerCorps\Contents\JSGME.exe" and run it, but it did not appear to be working properly and a couple things popped on the screen with some details (ScreenShots: SS1, SS2, SS3) I tried to change a couple of things and try doing it a bit differently, it didn't work out though the outcome was a bit different (SS4, SS5). I attached the screenshots here.

Could you please let me know where you uploaded your guide please? Also is it a video tutorial? It would be fantastic if someone upload a short video tutorial on YouTube or just here.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again for all your help :)

Cheers
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

NiMa wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:22 pm ss5.png
dalfrede wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:50 pm I uploaded my guide yesterday. Look it over, if you have questions, ask.

First install the game.

Edit

Hiya,

Thanks for the message.

I've gone through the procedure explained in the word file, however, I am not sure if I am doing it the right way. So after creating a New Blank Wrapper (using the engine WS9Wine2.5) on my MacBook Pro and renaming it to PzC, I am kinda stuck: It is mentioned I need two things either "PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe or PanzerCorps-Gold-SetupRelease-v130.exe" plus "Auth Code"
I bought Panzer Corps (Wehrmacht, the basic version and not the gold one) for Mac from the Slitherine website. I wonder whether I need the gold version or not (I hope not indeed as I had already spent a lot of money to buy quite a few DLCs on my iPad before and am not willing to spend that much money again on my Mac). Also not sure about the Auth code, is it the Serial Number or sth else?

Besides, I tried to install BattlefieldEurope as well. So I copied PzC and renamed it to PzCBeF, right click on PzCBef to show the package content, then double click on the Wineskin icon (I made sure to use WS9Wine2.22), click to install the software, select jsgme_setup.exe from 'BattlefieldEurope19' folder. And then problems begin. I really have no idea where to install it! But anyway, finally I installed it and move the JSGME.exe to the content in Panzer Corps folder in Applications. I also created a MODS folder there (inside the content in PZ folder) and moved all the seven files of BattlefieldEurope v19 into it (including data, audio but without jsgme_setup.exe file). The content (in PZ folder) has got all the main three folders required: JSMGE.exe, JSGME.ini, MODS folder.

Then I tried to install the MoD using "Wineskin Advanced Configuration" but here comes another problem: what location should I put there? I tested "Macintosh HD\Applications\PanzerCorps\Contents\JSGME.exe" and run it, but it did not appear to be working properly and a couple things popped on the screen with some details (ScreenShots: SS1, SS2, SS3) I tried to change a couple of things and try doing it a bit differently, it didn't work out though the outcome was a bit different (SS4, SS5). I attached the screenshots here.

Could you please let me know where you uploaded your guide please? Also is it a video tutorial? It would be fantastic if someone upload a short video tutorial on YouTube or just here.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again for all your help :)

Cheers
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

NMa
Download "PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe" at Matrix Games:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/399 ... nzer.Corps.

Yes your serial number is the authorization code.

Your Slitherline name and password work at the matrixgames web site.

You do not need the Gold version, nor do you need the Mac version. Your serial # should work for both PC and Mac.

Install the PC version via wineskin. get it working before you worry about BfE. I will be posting a guide to using BFE without GME later in the scenario design area later today.
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 pm NMa
Download "PanzerCorps-Update-v130.exe" at Matrix Games:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/399 ... nzer.Corps.

Yes your serial number is the authorization code.

Your Slitherline name and password work at the matrixgames web site.

You do not need the Gold version, nor do you need the Mac version. Your serial # should work for both PC and Mac.

Install the PC version via wineskin. get it working before you worry about BfE. I will be posting a guide to using BFE without GME later in the scenario design area later today.

Thanks for the message.

Sure. Actually, I just tried to do it, however, in the end, I received a message "The program's executable file currently set in Wineskin is not found". I know I am asking a lot of questions but this is really tricky and confusing! Maybe I installed it in a wrong location (set the location inside the Wineskin folder and not the game's folder). I am going to keep trying and hopefully get it working soon.

PS: Looking forward to seeing the update regarding the BFE MoD on mac. Cheers! :)
Attachments
sss.png
sss.png (535.67 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

That looks like a windows install issue. Not a Wineskin problem as such.
My executable is:
"C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Panzer Corps Gold Edition\autorun.exe"

Your default install directory should be:
"C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Panzer Corps\autorun.exe"

1) PzC should be installed under 'Program Files' not 'Windows'
2) You can manually change the Win Executable
InstallPath.jpg
InstallPath.jpg (89.06 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

NiMa

I have run some clean installs and have discovered some errors in my instructions.

I am still writing, but this update has major corrections. Sorry for any inconvenience .
PzC Mac Wineskin V0.91.doc.zip
(465.54 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
NiMa

Post by NiMa »

dalfrede wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm NiMa

I have run some clean installs and have discovered some errors in my instructions.

I am still writing, but this update has major corrections. Sorry for any inconvenience .

PzC Mac Wineskin V0.91.doc.zip

Thanks Dalfrede,

I've desperately made quite a few more attempts in the last couple of days to install them, according to the manuals you kindly wrote them up here. Yet, it didn't work whatsoever.

To be honest I am utterly frustrated by the fact that Mac users cannot have as easy access to such wonderful MoDs as Windows users. This is just so disappointing indeed.

If there are any videos here or elsewhere I will really appreciate if you please let us know.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time and doing a great job to help me here.

Cheers
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

NiMa

One an go to Youtube and search 'wineskin.

Here are two links useing an older version of wineskin that may not work in Mojave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapHnz717do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZEcuYQjmto

PzC Mac Wineskin V0.92.doc.zip
(481.77 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
I've updated the guide.

Return to “Panzer Corps”