New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by goose_2 »

shawkhan2 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm Albert Canal and Arras are two of the most difficult battles to get a Decisive victory. Took me three tries for each in order to get the decisive w/o excessive casualties. Double Rommel is a killer. I play both branches of the campaign and find the French path is much easier on the pocketbook. Going to be interesting to see how far we get.
Agreed thanks for making this journey with me...even if the progressively Manstein is altered slightly it will still be very hard for both of us
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
shawkhan2
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by shawkhan2 »

Actually, Nikivdd's changes have strengthened the opposition quite a bit. I am fighting overstrengthed units in 1940. 11 and 12 strength units seem pretty common. Fighting overstrengthed Matildas is lots of fun. Even Crusader IVs are quite a handful at times. Already experiencing hitting the prestige wall trying to fight the British. Scraping the bottom of the prestige barrel in 1940 does not bode well for 1941.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Interesting...I am about 10 days into Albert...Marginal is assured as extremely easy to acquire, but it amazes me how deep a dive I can go on these scenarios playing at this level trying my best to minimize losses and maximize kills...no heroes awarded yet, but I am expecting some soon...I forget how long it kind of takes to get 1st heroes when I play the way I play.

Hoping to finish before this weekend, so I can start setting up Return to Kishinev, unsure when I will finally set up and try Liege...super intimidated still...
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

OK...I muscled through last night and am probably going to pay for the lack of sleep here today at work...
No heroes rewarded at all in this scenario :? oh well :roll:

I will try and type up my playthrough but unsure I will have time to get it all done today...the important point is I am going to try for The Hague next and remembering my difficulty with this mission on Manstein, I am desiring to get a Decisive at this new level as I want that extra prestige, but am considering trying for a loss and still maximizing prestige, but will try for Decisive first.

I just remember getting upset at seeing so many tanks in a mission that historically had a couple of dozen armored cars and 5 tankettes...not much of an armored force to pull into a scenario, but oh well

I will dive deeper this weekend and may play test, but think I want to concentrate on attempting Return to Kishinev
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok...just a quick update where I am at...still debating what to do for my Hague playthrough so feel free to share any thoughts that you may have...

At the present I am at the mid point of Return to Kishinev...which at Manstein has not been too difficult as of yet...awaiting 2nd Wave assault...that may change, but what has been the ease of this difficult mission has been 13 Str SE King Tiger's 7 of them ... 7...6 of them now have 3 heroes and 7th has 2 heroes and 3 stars of experience...

Do not get me wrong attack waves come from all sides, even from the back sometimes, but I have been more aggressive in my playstyle and have forced surrenders in many, many places helping to whittle them down quickly...

My hope is to finish this scenario before this weekend so I can focus on The Hague for next weekend as I will be out of town this weekend.

Not sure there will be enough time but will keep on trying to muscle through.

(Let me know any thoughts for conquering The Hague, because I see no other option but to back away with aux units and focus on central airfield defense...push through Rotterdam to bolster defense of Central airfield and slowly push up on all Victory hexes, and only after Decisive is assured do I go for tertiary objectives...it is not what i would like, but not sure How I can take it all over.)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Nevermind,... the ease of Return to Kishinev just reached a new level of difficulty...
Day 13 and 14 is breaking me at the moment...their 2nd wave has been a little unexpectedly overwhelming so I will attempt to redo those days a 3rd time as the first couple of times has not gone well at all...I just was not expecting as much stuff as I am seeing everywhere.

Need to prepare better and hunker down for the assault...Kishinev is a no hold area, and I am trying to rethink my defense of Torgu Formus...

Either way dog it will have to wait for next week as I am gone this weekend...family stuff at a county fair...Yay!
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I've been doing some thinking and would appreciate your thoughts...on The Hague
I see myself bringing the following:
5 to 6 artillery
6 planes 2 fighters/2 Fighter Bombers/ 1 Tac Bomber/1 Henkel
1 AT Panzerjaeger
3 tanks: 1 Pz4D; 1 Pz1B; 1 SE Pz3F
1 Recon
2 88's
4 to 5 inf

I have been thinking about upgrading Oleh Dir to a Grenadier, and buying another Fallschimjaeger, as giving them a truck works well, but might use him without a truck this 1st scenario...?

Thoughts?
goose_2

Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

My apologies if you are already aware. You can directly deploy Fallschirmjager to ground with out purchasing organic transport by using the ground/air toggle button during deployment phase.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Buffalohump wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 am My apologies if you are already aware. You can directly deploy Fallschirmjager to ground with out purchasing organic transport by using the ground/air toggle button during deployment phase.
Are you serious?

I wish I would have known that before I bought the truck, oh well, now I am considering changing Oleh Dir into Fallschimjaeger
goose_2

AnalogGamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by AnalogGamer »

Buffalohump wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:07 am My apologies if you are already aware. You can directly deploy Fallschirmjager to ground with out purchasing organic transport by using the ground/air toggle button during deployment phase.
Sweet Christmas!

How many years have I been playing this game without knowing that little tidbit? When I think of all the trucks I have bought and disbanded...

(walks away from comp to bang head against wall)

:)
Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

Again my apologies, I discovered this by accident about three months ago. I was adding some of Guille’s excellent unit icons to my roster and assumed I had stumbled on to something that was general knowledge.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update: (Not on New Difficulty Level)
Return to Kishinev progress on Manstein...

I am now on Day 17 in my playthrough...I have been able to eliminate all of the Mobil AA...thankfully.
I have eliminated almost all of the 2nd Wave Air Force, just 1 Strat Bomber that was able to get away. (Unsure if there will be more, but eliminating all of those Fighters felt really good)

I have been able to hold Kishinev with a single 9 Str Grenadier +6 Defense that they do not touch...

The problem is I have 6 days left and like 6 or 7 Main Objectives left to seize...

I think based on the strength of my remaining units and what I have left arrayed against me that Victory is still possible, but it will be a tough one.

Hoping to see Night Phoenix's final days uploaded when I go home to get an idea on what I have left to face...If he is able to pull off a Decisive with what he has done I should be able to pull one off myself.

Than I should be able to concentrate on The Hague, which I plan on tackling this weekend ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Day off yesterday and spent mostly with family, however I was able to bust out the finish of Return to Kishinev...spoiler alert...Marginal Victory... :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops: :roll:

Oh well, I was about a day short from getting the final needed victory hex...I am just moving forward as I do not want to attempt better than I did, as what I accomplished is, in my opinion, good enough.

I actually started The Hague and am definitely having some troubles as of turn 7...may need to restart or retry based on how it is meeting itself out...I have needed to buy some in scenario replacements for the beleaguered aux Fallschimjaeger. I have already been awarded 3 heroes...SE Geb +1 Movement...Pz4D +1 Movement...Reg Geb +1 Att...so ok heroes but nothing that is a must save.

I have Monday and Tuesday off this next week and plan on busting through The Hague and Sedan, and than may even consider taking a look at Liege in my Guderian blindthrough...I am not sure but have spent a lot of time contemplating and preparing for The Hague and Sedan so those come first... ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I was highly productive this extended weekend...I busted through The Hague and Sedan...then even busted through 1st French and 1st British mission...I just couldn't help myself...

I will try and type some aar's up and will try and step back on continuing the playthrough until I at least catch up on my aar's
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

In honor of my stepping back while I allow time to type up my aar's...I busted through the historical scenario in the Guderian Blind Campaign...Nordwind...3 days left to play and unsure how I can get a Decisive, but have Marginal for sure...

Hoping to play through either another round of Guderian: Colmar Pocket, or at least prepare for my latest hard playthrough...the thing that stinks is I am still not being awarded with a 2nd SE tank...I want tanks, not these SE Inf with trucks or half tracks...
Arras will be exceedingly difficult with the tanks I have, but I am hoping the +1 movement 88 helps, which I plan on overstrengthening...

I now have 2000 prestige and as such am considering overstrengthening some units, maybe some of my arty and Tac/Strat Bombers...Thoughts on what to bring and how to crack Arras and Wassigny would be appreciated.

Thanks
goose_2

AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm Hoping to play through either another round of Guderian: Colmar Pocket, or at least prepare for my latest hard playthrough...the thing that stinks is I am still not being awarded with a 2nd SE tank...I want tanks, not these SE Inf with trucks or half tracks...
Eh? I am not completely sure I understand that. If you get a decisive on an SE-capable battle... you get what you want, if you want it. Re-load allied final turn until the SE you want comes through, or take and play what the gods of war give you. It seems that you are taking a unit you do not want, disbanding it, then hoping for the one you want later. I suppose this is a slow prestige faucet in its way, but an experience vacuum... and a huge hole in one's OOB. SE's don't count towards core limit, and having the maximum allowable at all possible times would seem to be indicated.

Enjoying the thread. :) Good luck!
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

AnalogGamer wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 am
goose_2 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm Hoping to play through either another round of Guderian: Colmar Pocket, or at least prepare for my latest hard playthrough...the thing that stinks is I am still not being awarded with a 2nd SE tank...I want tanks, not these SE Inf with trucks or half tracks...
Eh? I am not completely sure I understand that. If you get a decisive on an SE-capable battle... you get what you want, if you want it. Re-load allied final turn until the SE you want comes through, or take and play what the gods of war give you. It seems that you are taking a unit you do not want, disbanding it, then hoping for the one you want later. I suppose this is a slow prestige faucet in its way, but an experience vacuum... and a huge hole in one's OOB. SE's don't count towards core limit, and having the maximum allowable at all possible times would seem to be indicated.

Enjoying the thread. :) Good luck!
Thanks Buddy...glad you are enjoying...I really try and avoid reloads...as much as possible...so when I am awarded an SE Unit I rejoice...when I do not, oh well...I just was not expecting not getting a 2nd Tank as I highly value the extra tanks.

I am satisfied with the amount of prestige I have and hoping to get Decisive Victory on Wassigny and Arras...Wassigny seems like it will be no problem, but I remember Arras being a huge heartache on Manstein...as such I think I will splurge for some Overstrength on some units for Arras....those Matilda's are very tough, and Arras itself is one tough cookie.

I forget did you go for Arras, or the French way? If Arras what did you bring?

By the by I also busted through last 3 rounds for Nordwind on Guderian.
I thought I was going to be unable to garner a Decisive Victory on the map, but I was wrong the units around Strasbourg were easily destroyed for total seizure of Strasbourg for the Decisive. I am rather pleased with myself, and now comes time to study Colmar Pocket which seems tricky...want to try in the next couple of weeks I think. (Or this weekend if I get ambitious)

Please no spoilers for Colmar because I want to play blind. Thanks
goose_2

AnalogGamer

Post by AnalogGamer »

I went through France on my way to Russia. Still at Streets of Moscow in the '41 campaign. Should finish that grind in a day or so or after-work play.

So if I understand you, the SE inf that you get... you keep and play. Good on ya mate. The first three battles of almost every vanilla campaign I ever played over the years got me three SE panzers, no matter how many reloads it took. Trying the more honorable route this time. I took what they gave me this time, except for the last panzer. I didn't need another SE grenadier, so I hit reload and got a panzer next go. Definitely do not reload due to poor battle results. Re-load for better gain... sometimes. Reload to avert pain... never.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

AnalogGamer wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:58 pm I went through France on my way to Russia. Still at Streets of Moscow in the '41 campaign. Should finish that grind in a day or so or after-work play.

So if I understand you, the SE inf that you get... you keep and play. Good on ya mate. The first three battles of almost every vanilla campaign I ever played over the years got me three SE panzers, no matter how many reloads it took. Trying the more honorable route this time. I took what they gave me this time, except for the last panzer. I didn't need another SE grenadier, so I hit reload and got a panzer next go. Definitely do not reload due to poor battle results. Re-load for better gain... sometimes. Reload to avert pain... never.
No I sell if I get SE Inf...and at this difficulty level I see an advantage playing 1 shy in se area...just unsure what to do if I am able to get to 2nd hero on SE Gebirsjaeger may just keep him to turn him into a Grenadier 43 for extra punch in close terrain...I just don't know.

I do not reload though, I sometimes go back in my saves based on rethinking certain strategies and detail those times in my playthrough's
goose_2

TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

goose_2 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:41 pm No I sell if I get SE Inf...and at this difficulty level I see an advantage playing 1 shy in se area...just unsure what to do if I am able to get to 2nd hero on SE Gebirsjaeger may just keep him to turn him into a Grenadier 43 for extra punch in close terrain...I just don't know.
My SE units are usually the first ones - aside from Albert Kerscher - to get to their second & third heroes. It's simply because you use them in every scenario. So, that can be something of a yardstick for you. I imagine that you'll get another SE unit soon.

I believe that SE units are assigned randomly, regardless of class. In '40, there are 3 types of infantry units available, and two tanks - the Pz IIIF & Pz IVD. So, if my belief is correct, odds are that you will draw an infantry unit. Once you get to '41, there 5 tanks availble, the Pz IIIF-H and the Pz IVD&E. So, at that point, the odds should tilt more in favor of getting a tank.

Return to “Panzer Corps”