New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update for me.

Finished Budapest on Manstein successfully ;)

Started 1st Day of Dunkirk on my Super Hard Playthrough...

But I will be out most of this weekend on holiday with my wife.

Very much looking forward to time with her alone.

Thanks you Grandma's. :D

Ps. I was thinking: I have an awesome Core with over 130k in prestige that I am ready to import into 45 East.
I was thinking about having hurly post that on the forum for anyone to download and use, is there any interest in having this resource?

Blessings
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Dunkirk in the bag... I will try and type up the aar today and tomorrow...

It will be a while before I tackle Reims as I am playing catch up on watching Braccada's playthrough's.

I am deeply saddened by Night Phoenix's exit from the youtube community. His work is gone and this is really unfortunate as he was so close to the end and his work was a great illustration of the learning curve of this game and was a great resource for the Panzer Corps community with finding the best way to tackle difficult maps.

Anyway I am playing more mp again, and should be making my fellow gamers happy.

This should give me a chance to start catching up on some of my other AAR's.

Reims is not the easiest of maps, and want to prepare my strategy accordingly, so feel free to share your thoughts on what I should bring and anything else weighing on your mind.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:16 pm I am deeply saddened by Night Phoenix's exit from the youtube community. His work is gone and this is really unfortunate as he was so close to the end and his work was a great illustration of the learning curve of this game and was a great resource for the Panzer Corps community with finding the best way to tackle difficult maps.
Dear goose_2, I had noticed this as well. Do you know what has happened? Thanks
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:53 am
goose_2 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:16 pm I am deeply saddened by Night Phoenix's exit from the youtube community. His work is gone and this is really unfortunate as he was so close to the end and his work was a great illustration of the learning curve of this game and was a great resource for the Panzer Corps community with finding the best way to tackle difficult maps.
Dear goose_2, I had noticed this as well. Do you know what has happened? Thanks
Yes, I have had several questions on his exit. It is sad, but something he felt was necessary to remove the temptation of trying to start recording again.

He says it is soaking up way too much time and his ability to make videos is just not working out. He wants/needs to spend time with work and family.

I understand his reasons, it still saddens me, and really miss his content and voice on youtube.

I really wish I could join the youtube streaming community but I have no tech that I would know how to get our utilize.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks for your reply goose_2. This is sad to hear but I do understand. And yes, I do agree, he did provide many interesting perspectives on several maps as well as in general...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok another busy weekend gone by, got many rounds of mp in, but also busted through Reims with much success, and am trying out Dijon, but may need to reconsider the playthrough as I checked my Manstein playthrough aar, and I was faster on that difficulty which barely got the Decisive, I may have to settle for Marginal and that feels unacceptable.

So we will see...

The bigger news is I have sought out advice on gearing myself to being able to record and post game play...I am struggling at figuring out how to record it using OBS, and hopefully my 17 year old son can help me figure it out. That way all I need is a microphone to be able to start posting my playthrough's.

That would be great, but getting microphone will probably have to wait for my Birthday in November, so...still be writing up AAR's.

If I am able to post videos then I will stop writing out aar's, except maybe for beta testing because I think it helps out the developers.

My thoughts on what I would post for videos is Manstein 1945, which I just wrote down the army I will be importing. 145 heroes....145
That is insane amount of heroes.

I think it would be nice to wait out my East playthrough until I catch up on my type ups...one more being able to post today, in fact right after this type up... ;)

I am working on my Reims type up and should be done before lunch.

This way I can focus on just playing my West Campaign and this Super Hard playthrough...sorry I am not waiting to complete West for posting videos, at least the losing campaign side, may consider the winning campaign side, but I expect to need to have to retry several times on the winning side on Guderian as need all Decisive's after Bastogne.

Thanks for all of the encouragement on joining the youtube community, if I can make it happen :| :| :? :? :roll: :wink:
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:28 pm The bigger news is I have sought out advice on gearing myself to being able to record and post game play...
That's great news! 8)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Well I am having trouble figuring out how to work OBS...I followed the youtube directions and it is not working. I am hoping maybe my tech savvy Nephew may be able to give me some insight....hopefully...I am just an idiot when it comes to these things.

Anyway,
I tried busting through Dijon, and finished with Marginal Victory this morning without acquiring the Char B1 capturable tank, so of course I am going to try a 2nd time with a different army configuration.
I need more speed and power, so using different tanks, like +1 Movement Pz4D and planes like all of my Tac Bombers, and faster inf like Oleh Dir and +1 Movement Gebirsjaeger.
That should do it, as the airforce in Dijon is almost non existent, and even the AA guns are minimal.

Once they start buying spam equipment it becomes next to impossible to push past their little pin cushions with enough time to seize all of the objectives so I need to strike hard and fast, move quickly to garner the Decisive, and the Char B1.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Started Dijon again, it is going much, much better this go around as Day 9 and beginning to pressure Dijon already...

The key is use highly mobile units and use creative ways to flank around their well held areas...overcome them with overwhelming force and you can push through to victory.

Oleh Dir really helps.
goose_2

captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Last time I played Dijon, I sent a lot of troops round the left hand side and managed to block every enemy hex with a unit before bringing the flaking troops bring them against the rear the central cities in time. It's one of the few scenarios where I can make paras work, but with a bit of careful planning and good scouting the trains can be useful too. A strat bomber or two to neutralise spam hexes can also help.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am Last time I played Dijon, I sent a lot of troops round the left hand side and managed to block every enemy hex with a unit before bringing the flaking troops bring them against the rear the central cities in time. It's one of the few scenarios where I can make paras work, but with a bit of careful planning and good scouting the trains can be useful too. A strat bomber or two to neutralise spam hexes can also help.
That is a good idea, using Para's to seize the highly vulnerable and weakly held southern objectives should be very possible.
Not on Manstein unless you bring 3, but at this point I will be finishing this 2nd playthrough probably this weekend, as no time last night or tonight.
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

On standard settings one para can take the Char B1 city if starting at 12str and with 2 or 3 * and an attack hero, although two ground units and preferably a strat bomber are much faster and less likely to go horribly wrong. Paras then move to the nearby airport while you air freight and rail troops into the area. Paras then fly to the southernmost VH while Char B1 heads north or to the right depending on what supporting troops you can bring in.

The big advantage of taking the remote cities first is that you can usually get units into contact with all the more central VH cities and with any other cities that haven't yet been neutralised, so you can be confident of victory quite early on.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:18 pm
captainjack wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 am Last time I played Dijon, I sent a lot of troops round the left hand side and managed to block every enemy hex with a unit before bringing the flaking troops bring them against the rear the central cities in time. It's one of the few scenarios where I can make paras work, but with a bit of careful planning and good scouting the trains can be useful too. A strat bomber or two to neutralise spam hexes can also help.
That is a good idea, using Para's to seize the highly vulnerable and weakly held southern objectives should be very possible.
Not on Manstein unless you bring 3, but at this point I will be finishing this 2nd playthrough probably this weekend, as no time last night or tonight.
I lied...I got home from my men's group and busted through the rest of Dijon...No prob's this 2nd time around...

I will try and type up the aar today and attempt Maginot Line this weekend...

My thoughts on what to bring are my 2 Panzerjaeger's; 6 or 7 arty's; 4 or 5 inf; 4 tanks 2 reg 2 se; 2 Strat; 3 Tac Bombers; 1 recon; 2 88's
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Maginot on normal settings can be good for training up new pios, paras, artillery and strat bombers (the short distances allow a Do17 to be developed to 2* for later conversion to a 217). The key is to spot the fortresses early (especially the overstrength ones) so you can plan assaults and otherwise keep out of range. I usually take avoidable casualties becuase I rush a bit too much or try to do everything instead of wiping out one sector at a time. Using methodical battle against the Maginot line is kind of ironic.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

captainjack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm Maginot on normal settings can be good for training up new pios, paras, artillery and strat bombers (the short distances allow a Do17 to be developed to 2* for later conversion to a 217). The key is to spot the fortresses early (especially the overstrength ones) so you can plan assaults and otherwise keep out of range. I usually take avoidable casualties becuase I rush a bit too much or try to do everything instead of wiping out one sector at a time. Using methodical battle against the Maginot line is kind of ironic.
I agree Cap'n but...I am far from playing on normal settings...

I was a busy boy this weekend...

Busted through Maginot Line, and even powered through Belgrade...

I was going to wait to share my thoughts about possible changes to my line up...but decided to make 'em and will post my army imported into 1941 and post what changes I made, and thoughts on the future of my army/forces...

I do not see myself buying any additional units except for artillery...maybe 1 more Anti-Tank to build up, but they are extremely difficult to get built up.

I will work to type up my aar's before I tackle Metaxas Line.

Thanks for the continued feedback
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Super Hard Army importing into 1941
I have Bolded and Super Sized the questions below

37 units total (I had 59 in Manstein and 55 in Field Marshall)
5425 in prestige (This is a very respectable amount about ¼ of what I had in Manstein and now that I have been awarded an SE Pz3H, Daddy is very happy)

8 Infantry: 8 Heroes
(I thought I would buy some more but on 2nd thought these 8 and the super heroes that come in on the latter campaigns should help round out my force. I want Kradschutzen, but now need to wait until I get a 2nd +1 Spot Hero. What would you do buy and build more or stay with this small infantry force?)
2 Regular Inf’s both with 2 stars experience and with +3 Att heroes. (I have been blessed with an outpouring of +3 Att heroes, much to my enjoyment)
I am not sure what to do with these Regular Infantry units, for the time being I plan on using them as is and wait to see what the 2nd hero turns out to be to possibly make an upgrade on them.

2 Fallschimjaeger with 2 stars both with 2 Stars 1 with +3 Att and Oleh Dir.
I am enjoying these guys more than I have in the past and will keep them as Fallschimjaeger through at least 42.

4 Gerbisjager’s
2 with 1 Stars experience and +1 Att Hero other with +2 Def Hero.
+1 Att Hero is one where I am using only sparingly, but not going to disband as may still work on occasionally.
+2 Def is still being worked on.
2 with 2 Stars 1 with +1 Movement other with +3 Att Hero.
Plan for Infantry in 1941 is to build them up to 3 Stars and/or 2 Heroes, once 1 or the other happens will save those units for Vyazma and Streets of Moscow.

7 Tanks 4 Heroes
1 Pz1B’s with 2 stars of experience
(Still waiting for the 1st hero for him, but in Belgrade was awarded with +2 Att Hero for him. My thoughts is to keep him as a Pz1B and only use sparingly as a mop up unit for soft targets because it is really cheap to pay for replacements and as such should be easy to get him to 3 stars at which time I will sit and wait for him to become either a Tiger or a Panther.)
2 Pz4D’s including 1 Star Albert Kerscher and 2 Starred +1 Movement. (I like keeping Albert low as it makes me want to build him up and using him will help him get to that 2nd hero much quicker.)
1st SE Pz3f 1 star +1 Movement
2nd SE Pz3F 1 Star
3rd SE Pz3H just awarded
1 Star +2 Def Somua S35 (This has been a nice unit but I realize that it will be tough to get this one to 2 stars and even harder to get a 2nd hero so I think I will eventually sell him off, but unsure.) Thoughts?

I plan on using a lot less tanks in this playthrough because I am not able to use them very much in my Manstein playthrough.

2 Recon 2 Heroes
Both with 2 Stars of experience and 1 with +2 Att hero and other with +3 Att hero…ok than. :D

3 AT’s 0 Heroes
1 3.7cm Pak with 1 star of experience. (Still hoping to build him up to 2 stars and using them to help round out my force as I upgraded to 5cm in 41)
2 Panzerjaeger’s with 1 with 2 stars the other with 1 star. (2 stars will sit for an Elephant Upgrade, the other will continue to be used until I get to 2 stars and then build up 1 more for later upgrades. These Panzerjaeger’s are difficult to use, but better to build up now instead of waiting until 1942 to use a green StuG 3/F.)

8 artys (6 Heroes)
2 star 10.5cm arty.
3 star 10.5cm arty
2 star +1 Range 10.5cm arty (Should I upgrade to a Nebelwerfer or Wurfrahmen, or 17.5cm arty?)
+2 Att 3 star 10.5cm Arty that will be upgraded to a 17cm.
1 Star +2 Att Sturmpanzer
2 Star +3 Def Sturmpanzer (I upgraded to a StuG3B to help defend my forces)
2 Star +2 Def Polish Arty (I upgraded this to a StuG3B to also help defend my units)
(I bought 1 more Sturmpanzer and 1 15cm Nebelwerfer in Belgrade.)
I am unsure if I should buy or use any Wurfrahmen. I like them, but do not love them as they are so very vulnerable and expensive to buy replacements for. Thoughts?

2 AA
1 8.8cm Flak with 1 Star and +3 Def Hero. Should I convert this to a mobile AA since it has a defense hero or keep it as an 88? Also how many Mobile AA’s would you buy? I ask because they are limited in their effectiveness as once the airforce is shot down they have nothing to do. Should I instead work to build up another 88?
1 8.8cm Flak with 2 Stars and +1 Movement Hero. (Everyone needs one of these)

4 Fighters (Still only 1 Hero Heinrich Bar)
All with 2 Stars.
This is it. This is my force that I will use no matter what I am awarded for heroes as these take so much finesse to build up and have the needed experience to help them survive in the air.

4 Tac Bombers 4 Heroes
1 Recon Rudel with 1 star just saving to get Uber.
1 +5 Att 3 star’s JU-87B
Helmut Lent Bf-110D 2 Stars.
1 Bf-110D with 2 stars and +3 Att Hero
I thought about buying another 1 but 2 Fighter Bombers and 2 Tac Bombers is all I will ever need, especially with these great 1st heroes.

2 Strat Bombers
2 Henkels both with 3 Stars. (This is it unless 1st Hero is crappy, because building these up in Experience is easy at any level, but getting Heroes is always hard.)

Let me know about my questions, but 1941 is the last year to build up any green units, as such I do not see myself building up very many other green units except for the ones I discussed above.

My thoughts about how I will play 1941 is to push for Decisive Victory’s on every single battle, because I have a strong enough force to handle even the increased difficulty, in fact I should be able to handle Decisive’s into maybe 1943 but as soon as I start to weaken my forces in 1944 I plan on settling into the Marginal zone rather quickly.
I am hoping to be able to garner 12 to 15k in prestige by the end of 1941 and have most units with either 2 heroes or 3 stars of experience.
I will keep trying both paths and keep the one which garners either the most prestige or the better heroes.
Please share thoughts on my questions.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I guess there are no thoughts on my questions...so...I had some time and started Metaxas Line...I am getting chewed up a bit as I have a 4 Str Panzerjaeger, 5 Str Gebirsjaeger, 3 str SE Pz3H, and 4 Str SE Pz3H.

So attacks are greater at this level and they can hurt as several aux units have been one shotted.

I think I will keep this playthrough though as my hero's awarded have been +3 Def Fighter Hero and +1 Spotting Fighter Hero. I did not want a Spotting hero, but better on a plane than on AT, AA, or Bomber.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Well, there are some thoughts of course, however not sure if relevant at this difficulty level and given your experience though... :D

I would probably stay with 8-10 infantry in total. Somua is nice but not sure how long it will last. I like Wurfrahmen for its mobility and its ability to cover armored advances at the same pace as tanks. Mobile AA and 88, well they will be helpful later on, although I prefer units that have something to do every turn. Mobile AA can follow armored advances as well...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 pm Well, there are some thoughts of course, however not sure if relevant at this difficulty level and given your experience though... :D

I would probably stay with 8-10 infantry in total. Somua is nice but not sure how long it will last. I like Wurfrahmen for its mobility and its ability to cover armored advances at the same pace as tanks. Mobile AA and 88, well they will be helpful later on, although I prefer units that have something to do every turn. Mobile AA can follow armored advances as well...
Thanks Pete...the AA question is the one that has me going back and forth the most as of late...My +3 Def 88 is boss on the battlefield , but is tricky to set up.
My +1 Movement 88 is the actual real boss as has close to 500 kills already and 2 stars, but I cannot expect all 1st heroes to be +1 Movement.

So it is a longtime until Poltava a loooong time...so I think I will start with 1 Mobil aa and may keep the +3 Def 88 as an 88 until I see the need for a 2nd mobile AA.

I just love tapping units hard with an 88 after I suppress them...so fun to hear that sound effect.

There really is not enough said about the great sound effects that were put in this game. Just love hearing that BOOM!
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I think the choice for +3D on AA depends a lot on whether you are attacking of defending.

On normal difficulty, mobile AA is very good for protecting spearheads, and the 3D will definitely improve survival when you get caught, shelled etc. While useful for providing defensive fire, it isn't so good for softening up enemy aircraft before your own attack, and with poor GD it is not effective as an emergency blocking unit until the Mobelwagen arrives. I can see these being bigger problems against +5strength enemy.

If you are mostly defending, whether as AA or AT then that +3d means one or two less casualties per attack (maybe 3 to 5 against a 20 strength conscript)
Maybe keep it as an 88 for (slow) dual purpose AA/AT (reserve and damaged units can sit next to it while it creeps forwards) and upgrade the +1 move to a 128 later for pure air defence. At least the switch back to an 88 is free.

Return to “Panzer Corps”