New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Moniker
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: New Difficulty Level for Grand Campaign

Post by Moniker »

On Rommel player prestige is 50%, on Manstein player prestige is 100%. So ptje63 gets only half as much prestige for each victory, objective, secondary city that Goose2 gets? Surrenders for ptje63 would also be half of Goose2 surrenders for equal strength enemy but many of Goose2 surrenders would have five more strength points at 100% prestige?
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Moniker wrote:On Rommel player prestige is 50%, on Manstein player prestige is 100%. So ptje63 gets only half as much prestige for each victory, objective, secondary city that Goose2 gets? Surrenders for ptje63 would also be half of Goose2 surrenders for equal strength enemy but many of Goose2 surrenders would have five more strength points at 100% prestige?
The units base price starts at 15, so it is not more expensive then the units you force surrender at 10 Strength, at Rommel though you would only get 50% of that prestige, that is why I am considering playing at this new progressive level
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

dalfrede wrote: PC registry values ??
Editing the gamerules.pzdat file it the way it's done.

You will not get 100,000 prestige on Rommel, unless you are playing Nic'o's upgrade and are exiting all your aux units and selling them off.
And maybe not even then.

The 35-39 MOD has horse transport, can save prestige by using it.
Note: The 35-39 MOD has it's own equip file which must be copied to use in other campaigns. The same is true for gamerules files.
Each campaign has an 'overwriting' gamerules file so you must edit it in each campaign for it to work.
Yes you are correct - I mistook "registry" for the gamerules.pzdat file - I changed the "maxprestige" value.

I am not using Nico's upgrade and I also think it would not make 100k prestige.

Yes - I use the equip and gamerules files from the MOD.
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

Not sure what 'MaxPrestige' does, but it doesn't remove the soft cap. To do that, change the 'UseSoftCap' value from 1 to 0. It is located just above the 'MaxPrestige' line in the gamerules file.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

turn4441 wrote:Not sure what 'MaxPrestige' does, but it doesn't remove the soft cap. To do that, change the 'UseSoftCap' value from 1 to 0. It is located just above the 'MaxPrestige' line in the gamerules file.
It smears the softcap.

From gamerules:
# *** Prestige soft cap
# 1=use soft cap, 0=don't use
UseSoftCap 0 # turns softcap on/off
NormalPrestige 400 # where softcap turns on
MaxPrestige 800 # where soft cap maxes out
MinKoff 20 # softcap prestige does not drop below 20%

Feel free to experiment.
For example a post in the SoftCap topic a little below lead me to test:

# Overstrength cost, in percent of ordinary elite replacements cost
OverstrengthCost 300
OverstrengthCostPerPoint1 100
OverstrengthCostPerPoint2 150
OverstrengthCostPerPoint3 200
OverstrengthCostPerPoint4 250
OverstrengthCostPerPoint5 300

to:
# Overstrength cost, in percent of ordinary elite replacements cost
OverstrengthCost 300
OverstrengthCostPerPoint1 -100
OverstrengthCostPerPoint2 -150
OverstrengthCostPerPoint3 -200
OverstrengthCostPerPoint4 -250
OverstrengthCostPerPoint5 -300

I now get more prestige every time I overstrength :D
Have yet to play a scenario with this 'upgrade' but it does work.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

I decided to test out my New Difficulty Level on Poznan.

I bought 2 75mm arty's with trucks and saved up for a Gebirsjaeger.

I barely squeaked out the Decisive, I did not buy any in game replacements, I considered it, but opted not.

Thank God!

I am now at Danzig with only 150 prestige. I need to buy one more unit but I cannot buy elite replacements for any of my units, and none are even close to 1 star. I can't even upgrade my 75mm arty's because I cannot afford it.

This is the exact right difficulty level for me! Daddy is super happy as it will be an uphill slog and makes me consider options I hitherto never had to worry about.

So I am considering my single purchase, I see 3 options.

Another 75mm arty no truck, but will upgrade to a truck once earn enough.

Another Gebirsjaeger, to help in my assault.

Another Recon, to help suppress, surround, surrender. Which without I wouldn't even be at 150.

This is so much fun, I am not sure I will be able to up the difficulty in latter years, like I detailed on the 1st pot, but we shall see.

Please share your thoughts
goose_2

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

You may not get out of '39.

I suspect a Sgt Double Rommel [with buy your army] would be a better play.
You start with a strong army, but have to work hard to maintain it.

In general I recommend experimentation.

I have been experimenting with Mods, and with McGuba's help may get you a no overwrite, no GME version of Battlefield Europe.
Any other Mods you would like me to look at?
It appears that everyone may have misunderstood how Mods work with the PzC engine.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

I'd suggest keeping away from recon because there are no (or almost no) in-series upgrades. Since you need every point of prestige available, I'd suggest the gun over 39 infantry or gebirgsjager as you need as much defence as you can get to minimise damage and the gun will increase your ability to force surrender. In some ways the 75 is better than a 105 early on as it does less damage, so more chance of suppression and thus more surrender prestige, the 2-range encourages more caution (maybe a downside on attack but good for defence) and it has a lot of ammo, so less chance of running out at a critical moment (just lost an experinced SPAA due to having 2 ammo left in the gun and taking four attacks - the battery commander has been sent somewhere unpleasant to retrain!). It's a shame you don't use mods, as your current challenge is perfect for horse transport.

I'm just having a go with +2 enemy strength and have had a lot of last-gasp DV's on the final turn, so there's a way to go before I try double Rommel.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I also busted through Danzig this weekend...

It took 2 times to get through Danzig...

This is crazy hard.

I am not sure why but prestige is even more anemic then I was expecting as I am starting Lodz with 280 prestige.

I did buy a 75mm arty in Danzig and upgraded 1 Pz1a to Pz1B. That was all I could afford. (I was able to get the 75mm arty to a city where I finally had enough prestige to upgrade to 10.5 cm and a truck.)

This level is almost too hard but I will keep trying with no more than 1 mission a week so I can hear thoughts from you guys on possible purchases strategy, and overall thoughts.

So I have 280 to spend in Lodz. I want to buy another unit so that I do not have to continue bringing Recon Rudel.
Ideally I would have liked to buy a Fighter Bomber, but I cannot afford.
Thoughts?

The reason why I love this level is based on the following reasons:
It feels real...
I am forced to really ponder over purchases and consider upgrade path's.
Because of this I cannot buy the best equipment, I can't field the air force I want.
I am forced to rethink my strategy, and what makes the most sense based on the overall punch it gives me.
The anemic way I am earning experience forces me to avoid damage at all costs.
No ingame replacements, and based on the amount of experience each unit has I really consider my options for replacements versus elite replacements at deployment.

Based on my nihilistic approach to prestige I am forced to give regular replacements.

The progressive Manstein level will have to be reconsidered, as just giving them 1 extra strength right now has made it super difficult. Any more I think would make this unplayable.

I have 3 of my 7.5 cm arty's with 1 star of experience, barely. I would like to upgrade one more of them to a 10.5cm arty, but I also want to purchase a Fighter Bomber for Piatek.

Thanks for the interest and advice, you guys are the best.
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Is that 25% prestige and experience of the normal amount? So capturing a victory hex will get you 25 prestige instead of 100?

That, combined with the enemy strength increase will eventually be harder than Ultimate I think. I vote for Ultimate as it's simpler and within the normal game rules.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote:Is that 25% prestige and experience of the normal amount? So capturing a victory hex will get you 25 prestige instead of 100?

That, combined with the enemy strength increase will eventually be harder than Ultimate I think. I vote for Ultimate as it's simpler and within the normal game rules.
Yes, that is exactly what it is. 25% prestige, so 2ndary objectives get me 12 prestige, Victory hexes garner 25 prestige.

Very difficult, but I am enjoying so will continue, as makes me feel like I am dealing with the decisions the Commanders had to deal with.

Field Officer says, "I need better guns and better tanks to storm the Battlefield."

High Command says, "We can get you another 75mm battery and upgrade your 1A's to 1B's."

Field Officer simply shakes his head, "Yes sir, I will do my best with what I have."

High Command responds with, "You will succeed and lead us into a new age of dominance."

Field Officer leaves muttering under his breath..."Or fold under the weight of the task being asked of me."

I am not sure how long I can keep this going, or if I can increase level any greater than this in subsequent years, but for right now this challenge is reminding me a lot of my blind playthough on Rommel in Afrika Korps, I enjoyed the challenges and prestige management needed to be employed in that fun run.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Upon reflection and watching other peoples playthroughs of the next scenario, I think I am better off upgrading 1 of my 7.5cm artys to a 10.5 cm, and staying as is with the unit composition.
That way I can save enough prestige to either buy a Fighter or Fighter Tac Bomber for Piatek.

? Which 1 would you buy and why?
2nd ?
Would you upgrade the other Pz1A to a 1B as it only increases the Initiative by 1, which does not seem worth it.

I would really appreciate any input.
goose_2

sorenthewild
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by sorenthewild »

goose_2 wrote: Would you upgrade the other Pz1A to a 1B as it only increases the Initiative by 1, which does not seem worth it.

I would really appreciate any input.
Pz1A initiative is 2, but Pz1B initiative is 3.
Polish tankette TKS has initiative 2.
So upgrading to Pz1B might save you some casualties, 'cause you'll fire first.
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

goose_2 wrote: I would really appreciate any input.
I have a few ideas, most you may not like.

1) Go to Youtube and find some inspiration, suggested:
Charge of the Light Brigade.
'Suicide is Painless' the Mash theme

2) Save after last turn of each scenario, reload until you get 110C SE.
Sell.

3) Sell Rudel, if you don't make it to '41 he is useless anyway.

4) Download Nico's equip file.
Unrar.
Place in /Programs/Slitherine/PanzerCorps/DLC/GC39/Data .
No overwriting required.
You get horse transport for your artillery.
equipNicoV32.rar
(33.96 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I've just had a go at some Polish scenarios with enemy at 11, 12, 13 and 14 strength.
11 was a step up from 10. 12 felt the same as 11 (maybe easier). Perhaps 11 was mainly me worrying about it rather than real.
13 wasn't too bad but the 13 strength AT were extremely dangerous to tanks. [It's not really a surprise that AT guns are bad for tanks]
14 strength was enough for me.
I'm normally a strategic bomber advocate, but I learned to appreciate stukas especially at 13 and 14.

So I'm not yet ready to have a go at sub 50% and 15 strength yet, but I'll have a bit more appreciation of your progress through your challenge (Goose2 difficulty?).
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok, I believe tomorrow will be my pull the trigger time for my Lodz run as I have been pondering all that has been discussed here and on my AAR.

I have decided not to buy any additional units this round and will simply keep using Recon Rudel for 1 more round, at least.

I still plan on spending about 130 in prestige, by upgrading Pz1A to 1B for 13 prestige the opportunity to more readily fire first is worth it in my mind.
My Pz1B has 80 experience, and elite replacements will be like 50 prestige that is almost too good to let go to half that as experience is so difficult to garner at this difficulty level.
I will also spend another 60 upgrading 1 7.5cm arty to 10.5cm.

This will hopefully allow me to garner enough prestige in Lodz, to purchase a Fighter for Piatek.

NightPhoenix is right that I will need another Fighter or 2 to help rule the skies later in the war, based on the planes with heroes that are given to me I agree with that.

So building up somewhat of an airforce is the goal right now.

My hope is to have enough to purchase an 88 for Kampinoska Forest.

Then enough to purchase a Strat Bomber or 2 for Modlin...after that who knows, but these are the plans so far.

Thoughts?
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I did Lodz this weekend, it was not too bad, I did buy 2 reg reps for Oleh Dir during the battle as wanted to make sure I had him at full Strength.

I will try to bring my notes tom so I can type up AAR.

If I remember right I have Fighter, Bomber, and 1 Pz1B at 1 star, as well as all my artillery.

I have enough prestige to buy Fighter and keep my units at 1 star to stay at 1 star for Piatek. I will be keeping 2 of my artillery at 75mm and 2 at 10.5cm...
My goal is to get Decisive at Piatek and get Decisive despit the enemies aggression, I will be following similar strategy as Lt. Joker and Braccada pulled off.

My goal is to be able to get an 88 and maybe another 3.7cm pak for Kampinoska Fortress so I can get kills and exp with those units on the trains.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I got excited and tried Piatek last night/this morning and I think I will have to restart.

I have taken some serious damage to many units, I was hoping to get Rugged defense, or at least fire first on many planned traps, but have not turned out the way I hoped...experience really makes a difference and that 1 extra strength are really costing me on this scenario.

I really want to make it to Kampinsoka Forest, so I may need to retry to make that possible. This is definitely not an easy battle at this level especially playing under these conditions.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Nope, got some time last night to hunker down and try to finish the scenario as is and I pulled it off.

Did not need to retry, but man was it painful. One of my units reduced to 1 Str, 1 other reduced to 4 Str, and several others painfully hurt, but many units reached at least 1 star of Experience that I will try to retain going in to Kampinoska Forest.

This is quite a relearn for me as all other strategies for building strong diverse force is out the window where I have to make due with what I am given try to build up to at least 1 star to experience and no longer able to hero farm because I will not be able to sell units and retry to build up with a new unit because that experience and star of experience is much more important than trying for a better hero.

I was awarded another SE Inf going into Kampinoska, that I will have to sell so I can get enough experience to buy the 88 I want and retain experience on damaged units with 1 star.

I do have 1 artillery at 2 stars, that I would like to buy another artillery but I cannot afford.

This is crazy tight and extremely challenging. I see myself continuing to sell extra SE units to help garner much needed prestige. (Since this is the first time I can do this because now I have 2 SE units, I am not sure how often I will be rewarded with SE units but it is a nice way to raise much needed prestige.)
goose_2

captainjack

Post by captainjack »

This is great stuff Goose2. All that agonising about which units will actually add something and whether an 88 is more useful than an extra unit. It will be interesting to see how far you get from a combination of careful planning and sheer determination.

Return to “Panzer Corps”