Full size Battle reports (Tournament play)

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Full size Battle reports (Tournament play)

Post by Lifever »

I've taken the liberty to open this thread primarily for the battle reports of the tournament games to come. (This is not a restriction and limited to Tournament play, just it's roots.)

The idea: A full size battle report should contain a little bit more than just mere stats, facts and results of your games.

More information, more entertainment, a personal note - to get your fun and fascination with the game across.

You want to share a really funny experience in the game? Welcome.
You want to tell the story of a game... and how it turned out? Welcome.
You want to tell others how you handled the game... your misperceptions, your fatal mistakes, or how a really lucky roll ended a game...? Welcome!
Any sort of deep game philosophy is also welcome.

All I'm really gunning for is a little bit of extra entertainment value.

Get the creative juices flowing after all that heavy strategic lifting. ;)
Lifever

Re: Full size Battle reports (Tournament play)

Post by Lifever »

(This is just a copy of the report from the Tournament thread)

2018T - ROUND 1 GAME - LiFEver [Austria] (W) vs Robterdam [Holland]

LiFEver Axis win turn 10 ("My Austrian English is a little rusty. What's the word I'm looking for? ... Blitz.... Blitzcorp? So close..." )

Robterdam Axis win turn 17 ("Polish forces are holding the east side of the Vistula river... re-grouping. 2 guys make a group, right? And by group I mean army...")

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Shielding the potential loss of an AT-gun with my juicy tank and blocking it's retreat while at it. I mean hey... those tanks are bad for the planet anyway. I can recommend it if you want to convince your opponent you are new to the game and... maybe also an idiot...

* Hiding the solid Polish bomber for the whole game to get the precision kill (in one of the last turns) when the enemy is crossing the river.... Everything set up perfectly... just 2 strength to kill right on the bridge. Easy prey ... easy... and the game was polite enough to spare me the "blub"-sample of artillery missing in the river. :(

* Counterattack with the polish close to the start.. up until the point where I found out Rob really is into artillery - and fireworks. And Polish Infantry can do a lot of cool stuff like looking like tough mountain guys. That only works as long as they are not actually fighting...

* Flying my glorious 105 artillery piece out of Cracow when it got too krauted. At the airport: "What do you mean no flights? Did you check with all the airlines?" - "You can always take the train..." That's where that story ended - violently.

* Pure delight when I noticed a guy from Holland, who is even named after a town in Holland (Robterdam), is trying to sneak attack an Austrian over the mountains. Know your role! That's why I would never try naval assault.. or invasion. No need to anyway. Norway sounds like a lot of mountains and snow. Should be great!

* Pure delight changed to pure paranoia after crushing said sneak attack, so I ended stalking the south mountains with a fighter and 2 units right until the end. "Where is that damn unit? They got to be somewhere... I saw them... I saw them..." Well, revealed map shows: Nobody there. But I know better: Rob disbanded them to tap me into doubting myself. Didn't work. I know they are still there - I just need to look closer!

* Paired game led straight into an identity crisis, so I refueled my Stukas at the Polish airfield... not so much, but it was the last round and there are a lot of flat plains around for a landing ... or touchdown. "I'm convinced those guys will be safe and fine. Besides: Nobody saw it. It may never have happened.."

* Finding out in the replay those Stukas actually were safe! Not that I didn't expect that. I knew it, because it's all part of the plan! (I took the airport close at the end of the turn just to complete the secondary objectives.. .without noticing it obviously had an effect on the planes.)

IN CONCLUSION:

We had our ups, had our downs, but most importantly we had a great time.
Hats off to a classy opponent, Rob..sy... however you call yourself sometimes. ;)
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

2018T - ROUND 2 GAME - LiFEver [Austria] (W) vs NightPhoenix [Holland]

We could go through this by the numbers, strategy, all that... but nothing special there.

RESULTS:
LiFEver wins axis turn 15.
NightPhoenix wins axis turn 17.

SHORT NOTES:
It's really hard to say what role the destruction of the enemy fleet can play. I couldn't capitalize on it the way I wanted to; guess the games were "too fast". Otherwise it sure is key to victory.
Weather was pretty much even.
We had some pretty crazy dice roles. The high dmg crit rolls were more his; the "can't be killed"-category was more on my side.

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Paratroopers
A little bit of insight right at the beginning.
So that was no coincidence in Russian Corps: If you buy paratroopers they don't actually start in the plane, but on the ground. (I really thought this is because Russia couldn't afford the equipment and they had to go to the airport to hijack or commandeer a plane. No discrimination here... those were my honest thoughts regarding the game mechanic...obviously incorrect.) Anyway - those paras were not on the airfield since I was sure they fly. They didn't... They took a walk to the airfield.

Those delayed Paratroopers had the total sightseeing package: Boy could they see a lot. Their target destination changed seven times... They even got in the sights of the dreaded Hurricane (* to that later), but it didn't bite cause we got our boys covered and safe through the air. Then we dropped them spot-on behind enemy lines... just to form a solid meat-shield (=defensive position without enough ammo to hold out. Hey - I would drop ammo boxes right in the middle if I could..)
So no recapture of Trondheim, two survivors at the end of the game. "They sure have stories to tell." Of course they were massacred right after the credit roll in the midst of the Norwegian army.

* The dreaded Hurricane
(*) The hurricane finally came in our sights after lurking him out for the third time. Twice rain and thunder had saved him. Not a third. BF & Heinkel were on the case... nicely lined up... How did it go? Did you see Dunkirk - the movie from last year? That were Spitfires you may think - I know. The Hurricane in our game filled the role nicely though...
It even haunted me to the Low Countries (training game). 3 full stack BFs at the same time. Result: More dmg on the BFs overall than on the Hurricane. At least it doesn't have a cool name for nothing. It even has a song.. of sorts. Screw those numbers - nothing rocks you like a hurricane. :(

* Who doesn't like surprises?
As Allies it started even better!
To my surprise I was faster than in my training game against myself! Crazy. Those two German infantry units in the North were dealt with in record time. With that great victory as motivation the defenders stood tall and everything was ready at the front. "I'm holding him off until turn 20...", I told my wife at the dinner table. That got her very excited... as anything panzer- or strategy-wise does.

Now imagine my surprise as one of that infantry units came back from the dead to haunt my backland. And by the dead I mean woods... because that's where they had been holding out for a few turns before finally going to work. I was so sure they had died like in the training game. My opponent made a smart decision by marching into a minor city since he suspected at least one guard unit in Trondheim. ("Haha.. it was empty, who's smart now!?" Tragic, it would have won him the round.) I told the troops to forget about that convoluted defense plan and instead try to catch the enemy far behind our lines. It's all about cardio with the infantry.. trust me!

It was at that moment I rediscovered my northern roots and launched ..

* Operation "Viking Corps"
It didn't have the impact I had hoped for, so it was more or less a sidenote since I held out longer than expected near Trondheim. Nevertheless: This was basically the whole main event for me!
I prepared a little jpg-comic. I just had that idea with 3 to 4 pics and it got completely out of control...
Doing this with MS paint was a great challenge in patience and time waste management. I succeeded and wasted maximum time while being on the verge of freaking out.
Well - I finish what I start and so it's done.
If you like it, you better love it because this won't happen again in that format. ;(

--> attachment of this post
Viking Corps comic strip.jpg
Viking Corps comic strip.jpg (3.13 MiB) Viewed 2470 times

* Finding out ships don't hold their ... water... ground in harbours. They leave the harbour. Hm... smelling insubordinance I couldn't let that slide. "Come on.. you know the rules. You only move if and when I click." Solution is pretty simple: All you have to do is block the escape routes. There will be no surrender because they didn't fight - sooo: Then they have to fight, right? - Thinking and logic can take you far! :D

* I learned a new English word: Scuttle. It means a destroyer activates some sort of experimental cloaking device and disappears. Crazy stuff... but it happened!

* In conclusion:
Another really interesting and fun match against another nice and smart opponent from Holland.
Let's see what happens in the future in the first "open-world" map :)
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I love this. Absolutely love this kind of stuff.

I think I found the one person who may love this game more than me to invest this kind of time and energy into a match. God Bless you Lifeever. I am facing Rishat for round 3, but I would love to face off against you for round 4 just so we get an opportunity to share in our enjoyment of this game.

You appear to be super adept having beaten your opponents in round 1 and 2, so if you keep up this streak and I can manage Rishat I think we might have to face off. ;)

Keep this kind of stuff up, because it is amazing and makes my AAR reports look pedantic.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

goose_2 wrote:I love this. Absolutely love this kind of stuff. [...]
Appreciate your kind words - glad you like.

I don't love this game as much as I love games in general that still enable some creative context.
Not just play it, play with it.

Panzer Corps is a pemiere example of this. The irony of it being a WW2 strategy game just makes it sweeter.

Keeping it up may be hard. You can't force those kind of things or they are already gone. Some novelties will were off... because I won't make the mistakes any more that lend me material to some extent. ("That should set me up for some cruel mistakes - yes!")

That's the thing with being competitve or professionell... suddenly you notice you are, you turn around and all the fun is gone.

You calling your own stuff pedantic made me think - still not so sure whether I encourage people to have fun in the game or disencourage them to post some fun stuff out of their own repertoire. Just do it people, you can't get it wrong..

Anyway - I will make up for it with some solid promo work for future Tourneys when we are through! Cause without this Tourney, I would have never had this kind of fun with the game. Wouldn't even have tried multiplayer which really just gets the game going.
So consider yourself important in this chain - you defined the playground for this.
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Time to dig this out.

A little off schedule with the battle reports - but it has not been forgotten: Just a change in format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obbEoc9qm4U

1st episode of PANZER CORPS HARDCORE Tournament Talk: LiFever vs Rishat

(As mentioned: If somebody knows how to embed this thing properly - please enlighten me on it. Video-Tags result in a "Too few characters"-failure.)

BattleReports will follow suit. Some catching up to do... got the footage and it will happen!
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Love this enthusiasm and passion
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

Return to “Panzer Corps”