Arras - intended trolling

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PapaHausser
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Arras - intended trolling

Post by PapaHausser »

I try Arras countless times and it seems like the whole battle is just scripted. I dont defend at start, i attack to the middle of the map and then start building defensive positions. In my last try, after crumble the first assault wave in really short time while receiving barely damage (best start in maybe 12 tries) the game starts to toll me really hard.
While i try to defeat the distracted remains of the first wave, its only possible to damage the units with one lousy point. Before i attack, game says "oh look, such a nice 1:6 for u" but gives me a 0:1 or 1:1. Ok, lets attack with another Unit. Game: "Nice, here you get a 0:4".....and trolls me with a 0:1 or 1:1. Hm, ok, another Unit. Game: "2:5 for u sir".....i know u guess whats happening.
At the end, i attacked ONE enemy with 6 Units and get trolled with four 0:1 and two 1:1.
But it was not just this unit, all units i attacked in the south of the map = 0:1 and 1:1. At the same time Artillery was mostly unable to supress any unit. So i am pretty sure that was intended.

This trolling hinder my blitzkrieg. But trolling starts with new s*it. From now on, no matter what and how i attacked a unit, i receive 1 damage in every 0:X. Artillery suppression and tactical bomber, game says "Here you go with 0:6" and gives me a 1:6. 0:2, 0:7, 0:4....doesnt matter, i got 1 Damage in almost every f*king fight.

So its intended to have a hard fight, no matter how good u play this map. I am a perfectionist, so i try different tactics and stuff. And this try was virtually the perfect try....meh, i am really annoyed. :evil:
Never got this on any other map.....exclusively on Arrrrrrrghas.

Sponsored by Google Translator :wink:
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Arras - intended trolling

Post by captainjack »

Sounds like you're having a hard time.

First, maybe play on Dice Chess. Variation is +/-2 from predictions. It's a bit like the old figure gaming days using average dice (2,3,3,4,4,5) instead of normal dice (1,2,3,4,5,6). Change the setting in the Advanced difficulty screen. You can select it at the start of a campaign or after each scenario under Difficulty.

Second, Arras can be tough. Maybe try a different plan - spend a few minutes looking at the strategic map and focus on objectives and relatively good terrain to send your armour, infantry etc and try to stick to your plan. I think that last time I almost completely ignored the centre and attacked on the edges - still some tough fights in nasty terrain but not too bad. I think it's also a good map for lots of small very aggressive attacks, reform and refuel, and repeat. That means that when the enemy counters you are less likely to be caught while disordered.

Otherwise try changing the mix of units a bit - a few more planes a few less planes one or two more or less tanks. While tac bombers are good for damaging tanks, I like to use strategic bombers against heavy tanks. A Matilda 2 isn't much use when out of fuel and ammo. Strategic bomber suppression can also help force surrender, which is especially useful for removing well armoured units like Matildas (and KV1s and KV2 later on).
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I STILL remember Arras on Manstein, I walked away with a Marginal and was thankful with that.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

I've just played Arras for the first time today (vanilla game, Colonel difficulty level, default rules and settings, and supply OFF) and I got slaughtered!
My plan was-
Phase 1: Seize a few objs and dig in.
Phase 2: Bleed the Allies white as they counterattack.
Phase 3: After I've broken him, resume my advance on the remaining objs, mopping up his remnants on the way.

Phases 1 and 2 went perfectly but although I bled him heavily, HE SIMPLY KEPT ON COUNTERATTACKING, throwing an endless stream of fresh tanks and infantry at me FOR THE ENTIRE 24 TURNS OF THE GAME, and I ended up losing objs and hanging onto just two by the skin of my teeth.

The only bright spot was that I easily and quickly gained total air supremacy because I bought 3 extra Me109's early on, but they cost a packet and left me with scant funds to buy tanks. Mistake?
So at the moment I'd say Arras is biased in the Allies favour; my excuse for losing is that the Allies get 75 prestige pts per turn but jerry only gets 25 per turn which is barely enough for his troops to buy paper and envelopes to write home..:)

PS- historically too, jerry had a rough time at Arras-
BRITS PANIC SS-TOTENKOPF, France 1940
Gen Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' page 114-
"On the 21st of May a noteworthy event occurred to the north of us: English tanks attempted to break through in the direction of Paris.
At Arras they came up against the SS Division Totenkopf which had not been in action before and which showed signs of panic"
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

The key in France is that the Allies have heavy tanks (Matilda, Char) and you don't. So don't fight them tank to tank. Use the 88mm anti-aircraft gun in ground mode to absolutely crush them. They are helpless against the 88. Send your tanks after their soft targets only. And when the 88s aren't enough, use infantry in close terrain.

France is going to be pretty hard in scenario play where you don't get to control what units you deploy, however that's true of most of the game. Generally you'll have to have the difficulty a level lowering scenario play vs. campaign play.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

To add to Proline's good advice, the 88s can help gain air superiority by weakening enemy fighters before yours have a go at them. Two fighters is enough to wipe out the enemy airforce if you have the hero Me110 from Skirmishing with the Russians, but two or three 88s should make this a bit faster and less costly to your planes.

Incidentally, you don't need to wipe them out - aircraft at 3 or 4 strength almost always fly to an airfield to reinforce, so that's two turns out of action even if you don't destroy them. The AI only uses green reinforcements so they will come back with less experience and may be easier to kill of next time round - or to drive off for more reinforcements. Then while they are away, your fighters have fun with undefended blenheims, Potez etc.

Return to “Panzer Corps”