Favourite Scenarios

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Favourite Scenarios

Post by PoorOldSpike »

turn4441 wrote:...if you like relatively small and short scenarios, I'd suggest you try Battle Academy if you haven't already..
I've got BA but the toytown graphics put me off and its gathering dust on my shelf.
PS- regarding PzCorps scens, we can always open them up in the editor and tweak them to our hearts content, for example if one contains too many units for our taste we can delete whatever we don't want with a few clicks of the mouse.
Or we can even build our own scens from scratch, it only takes 20 mins to make a neat little scen, and creating is FUN..:)
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

Found the original converted AG and PG campaign/scenarios.

I just unzipped them and transfered the pzloc and pzscn files into the scenario folder and opened them up via the custom button.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 55#p365410

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 20#p431928
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ab067 wrote:I purchased PzC Gold and I'm trying to find a scenario I really like.
In AG, I play Pskov endlessly and in PG, Byelorussia is my favourite.
I tried to locate a thread with players favourite scenario, but no joy.
Are there scenarios similar to ones I mentioned, or do you have a favourite?
A possible reason why there's no favourite scen thread is because everybody has their own idea of what makes a scen good; for example I can't stand big claustrophobic cityfights like Stalingrad and Warsaw, yet other people love 'em..:)
My first priority with scens is that they should be nicely balanced so that each player has about the same chance of winning.
I just came across one such scen today, 'Kasserine Pass' (below) which is well-balanced, today I narrowly lost a game as the German attacker against the US/British AI defender (vanilla PzCps, 'Colonel' level, default settings, supply Off), so I nominate it as one of my personal favourites.
The Germans start split into two strong battlegroups which have to advance down the arrows along the mountain roads to take just one of the far objectives (circled), what could possibly go wrong?..;)
(PS- another thing I like about the scen is that the Germans start with a healthy 2670 prestige pts and get a very useful 70 more each turn. I bought 3 Tigers during the game to fill combat loss slots and can still hardly believe I lost all 3 and never captured any of the two far objectives! I'll put a brief AAR at the foot of this post with a spoiler alert)

AAR SPOILER ALERT- (don't read this if you want to play it blind)-
I think I know why I lost, it was because American P-38 Lightning fighters put in a strong appearance in the second half of the game and wiped my 2 Stukas and Sparviero from the sky, eliminating my ability to launch airstrikes to clear the narrow mountain roads.
I had 3 fighters of my own but the P-38's outnumbered them and I lost them too.
Next time I shall make sure to buy at least 4 fighters and a few Flak vehicles rather than sink the cash into Tigers..:)
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

[quote="ab067"]Found the original converted AG and PG campaign/scenarios.
I just unzipped them and transfered the pzloc and pzscn files into the scenario folder and opened them up via the custom button."
This...

If I want to play a "Campaign Scenario" I just copy the 2 required files to the 'My Games/Panzer Corps/Scenario' folder & load through the 'Custom' feature. Appears to work just fine.
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

Playing the various scenarios, I am finding a balanced force of armour, flak, artillery, etc for combined arms is the better approach.
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

I'm trying to find a link for Velikiye Luki, but any link seems dead.

Does anyone have a copy or know of a valid link?
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ab067 wrote:I'm trying to find a link for Velikiye Luki, but any link seems dead.
Never heard of it mate, but you could always build it yourself in the Editor, I build stuff all the time, it's great fun..:)
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ab067 wrote:..favourite scenarios...do you have a favourite?
I can tell you the ones I DON'T like, namely those that don't give us a prestige point allowance each turn!
For example I just abandoned the 'Second Offensive' north African scenario because my Axis ran out of their initial lump sum of 2325 prestige points about one-third of the way through the game and I ground to a miserable halt because no new pp's were coming in and I therefore had no way of replacing unit strength to maintain the momentum!
So what I do now is to firstly check out scens in hotseat mode so I can run a few turns on either side (without playing it) just to monitor the prestige income readout at top right, and if my side gets zero pp's per turn I'll think twice about playing it..
I know we can open scens in the editor and give ourselves whatever pp allowance we want, but I wish the designers had done it in the first place..:)
PS- Another thing that I wish designers would do is to tell us if a human can choose to be any side against the AI, or if a scen is meant to be played as Axis or Allied only.
Last edited by PoorOldSpike on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Are you still playing individual scenarios? If you play scenarios individually you will almost always find them harder than if you play them in a campaign. During the campaign you will accumulate prestige, experience, heroes and SE units and accumulate a reserve of experienced units you can drop in at short notice if you lose a core unit.

The initial goal with Second Offensive should be to get everything back to your supply base (El Agheila) and secure the nearby airfields, not to stand and fight, so you shouldn't need a lot of prestige to do that. If you do this soon enough, the British army over extends itself so you can pick off isolated units and the counter attack. If you get El Agheila in time, you will get reinforcements to aid your attack, and these include units that will make future scenarios much easier as part of the capmaign. You would miss out on these in future batttles if playing one-off scenarios.

Per turn prestige is only one possibility. The usual pattern is that you don't get prestige per turn in an attacking scenario with a lot of objectives as capturing objectives gives you a prestige award, but you almost always do on a defensive scenario where capturing objectives is only a secondary objective. There are also scenarios where achieving a mission objective gives you extra prestige or one or more bonus units (often permanent but maybe just for the scenario). Finally you can have scripted prestige dumps during the game (not often) and get prestige for forcing surrender - Goose2 is the master at this. You also usually get prestige at the end of each scenario, which is often influecned by the loss/MV/DV result.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

captainjack wrote:If you get El Agheila in time, you will get reinforcements to aid your attack..
Aha, there's my excuse for losing 'Second Offensive' then, I got no reinfs..:)
I got back to EA in time but my Afrika Korps was on its knees crying out for replacement points but I didn't have any and the British just kept on bleeding me white and I was crumbling like a house of cards so I threw in the towel.
Yes it was the standalone scenario, I might get lynched for saying so but I don't like the campaigns; I tried a few and won some battles, but sooner or later the tree will dump a battle in our lap that is just plain boring and I think "why the hell am I playing this?", so I abandon the camp and go start a standalone scen that I like..:)

PS- for the record the prestige allowances for both sides in standalone 'Second Offensive' are-
Axis: 1712 at start, and 0 per turn.
British: 2325 at start, and 0 per turn.
So you see, my pp's ran out long before his did, and I was dead in the water, the maths beat me!
However I shall have fun playing it again and again in different ways until I win, that's the addictive quality of scenarios!.
Thanks for the tips, yes I think I wasted too many pp's slugging it out in the open desert instead of building a solid defensive line at El Agheila..:)
(If anybody else wants to see if they can do better than I did, I played it vanilla with default settings, Colonel level and supply Off)
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

PoorOldSpike wrote:
ab067 wrote:I'm trying to find a link for Velikiye Luki, but any link seems dead.
Never heard of it mate, but you could always build it yourself in the Editor, I build stuff all the time, it's great fun..:)
Russian Front, nov 1942.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

PoorOldSpike wrote:
captainjack wrote:If you get El Agheila in time, you will get reinforcements to aid your attack..
Aha, there's my excuse for losing 'Second Offensive' then, I got no reinfs..:)
I got back to EA in time but my Afrika Korps was on its knees crying out for replacement points but I didn't have any and the British just kept on bleeding me white and I was crumbling like a house of cards so I threw in the towel.
Yes it was the standalone scenario, I might get lynched for saying so but I don't like the campaigns; I tried a few and won some battles, but sooner or later the tree will dump a battle in our lap that is just plain boring and I think "why the hell am I playing this?", so I abandon the camp and go start a standalone scen that I like..:)

PS- for the record the prestige allowances for both sides in standalone 'Second Offensive' are-
Axis: 1712 at start, and 0 per turn.
British: 2325 at start, and 0 per turn.
So you see, my pp's ran out long before his did, and I was dead in the water, the maths beat me!
However I shall have fun playing it again and again in different ways until I win, that's the addictive quality of scenarios!.
Thanks for the tips, yes I think I wasted too many pp's slugging it out in the open desert instead of building a solid defensive line at El Agheila..:)
(If anybody else wants to see if they can do better than I did, I played it vanilla with default settings, Colonel level and supply Off)

Ha my biased Afrika Korps Alternate Ego says

Thou shalt Never Ever realize the absolute brilliant Design of the Afrika Korps Scenarios til you start your Epic Quest in Campaign Mode on the Sandlot Realms of the African Desert. Most likely not even til you try it in a True Valiant Effort on Rommel Mode and without any German Units.

I just say there is a reason why Afrika Korps is the Favourite Campaign for so many Players.
And it has probably the most Replay Value of all Campaigns as there are so many Twist and Options along your path.
And all without obscene endless Mass Hordes of enemies or SciFi like Wunderwaffen at Hand.
For me AK is Panzer Korps how it is meant to be, at least if you don't want to Stick to a real Historical Path.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ab067 wrote:Russian Front, nov 1942.
I meant I've heard of the historical Velikiye Luki battle but I haven't seen it anywhere in the Pz Corps scenarios and I haven't seen a link anywhere.
I know that Akkula once said he was creating a scenario of it but I don't know if he ever finished it, scroll halfway down here-
https://www.designmodproject.de/forum/m ... m?start=30

He's also a Slitherine member and I was talking to him only the other day, so try dropping him a PM..:)-
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/memberl ... le&u=59118
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

Thanks. I sent him a pm.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

I agree with Hurly. Afrika Korps is for me the most enjoyable expansion. It includes some interesting and challenging scenarios (Dash to the Wire, Persia), and withstands multiple replays - eg with Italian only, different core compositions. On top of this most scenarios allow more than one way to win.
ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

PoorOldSpike wrote:
I'm trying the editor :D

When I edit an existing scenario, how can I change which side starts first? I was was able to do this quite easily in PGF.

I have looked through the manual, but this simple item eludes me.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

ab067 wrote:..When I edit an existing scenario, how can I change which side starts first? I was was able to do this quite easily in PGF..
Parameters>Sides brings up this screen, just select which side you want to be Attacker, and they'll be the first to move in the game.
(But if you're doing it with an existing ready-made scenario be careful it doesn't mess up the scen because the designer might have created it specifically for the other side to be the attacker)

ab067
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ab067 »

Great!

Thanks. :D
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

I'm on my 4th playthrough of the Grand Campaign, using the 1935 mod, so it means I have an earlier start. This has taking me 3 years, to my full enjoyment. It's like a good game of chess, to be enjoyed with a glass of red wine and some fine music - each scenario takes me 3-5 hours, preparation included.
At the moment I'm at Stalingrad, at Manstein level. Survived the Docks - now decided for the "Escape from Stalingrad" (love to go against orders ;-) ). Its these type of scenarios I like best: defensive strategy and then decide when and where to counterattack...
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Another standalone scenario I'm putting on my favourites list is 'Battleaxe'
SPOILER ALERT-
Rommel arrived in the desert in April 1941 and immediately surrounded Tobruk (what cheek!), so Battleaxe was the hasty Brit attack in June 41 to rap his knuckles out in the open desert.
The main feature of the game is that the Brit force is very small and scattered at the start (but has some tough cookie Matilda II's) and doesn't have any aircraft, but reinfs (including planes) begin appearing in dribs and drabs around the map edges (including the west edge) later, so keep checking every turn to see if they've arrived or you might not notice them.
You have to capture 8 of the 10 objectives, I played it vanilla/default at Colonel level and captured 9, my strategy was not to rush at the Axis too gungho early on, but to take it more steadily and give my reinfs time to keep trickling onto the map.

Below-The start positions, (I've added a red dot to the 10 objs for clarity) the Brits begin at the bottom and must drive north.
Brit starting prestige=2000, and none incoming per turn. Experience=10 (ie far less than 1 star)
Ger starting prestige=600, and 100 incoming per turn. Experience=57 (ie about half a star)

Return to “Panzer Corps”