Panzer Corps Tournament 2020

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

coombes545
Panzer Corps Tournament 5th Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 5th Place

Re: Panzer Corps Tournament 2018

Post by coombes545 »

Mr. Lifever, ich bin nicht wirklich Franzose, das war nur ein Witz, da Sie aufgrund meiner frühen Kapitulation dachten, ich wäre Franzose! In Wirklichkeit bin ich Brite. Es tut mir leid, von Ihrer Computer-Tragödie zu hören, die verdammten Dinge ärgern mich manchmal. Freuen Sie sich auf die kommende Geburt, ich hoffe, dass alles gut wird und Ihr drittes Kind sicher entlassen wird. Bist du sicher, dass du dieses Spiel aufgeben wirst? Ich bin mir sicher, dass Ihre Sachkenntnis vermisst wird. Nehmen Sie sich vielleicht ein paar Monate frei und kommen Sie nach Weihnachten mit einem neuen Kind und einem neuen Ansatz zurück. Wie auch immer, viel Glück bei deinen Entscheidungen. :D
Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare »

LiFever I am really sad to hear that. Someone needs a hard disk crash like a hole in the head. Never had a data loss like that so far.

Ok I am aware about this Italy stuff and I have thrown really a lot of dice myself and I saw some extrem dice rolls.
Gwaylare wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 pm Fantasy roleplaying games are another of my favorites. Gwaylare was originally the name of a Shadowrun character I used in the early 90s. She died very soon because of some capriciousness dice, so I am using her name now for more then 25 years in multiplayer games of all kind.
Those dice in Italy turn 1 were really extraordinary and it does not feel right to end a tournament like this. So I did not play against all the others within this tournament, but I feel you are the best player I have met on the battlefield. May be I am on a par with you, if am able to avoid making any mistakes. But I am missing your precision of doing moves, especially in positioning the defence.
So I do not share your talent of making those video stuff, but may be my abilities are sufficient to record the replays of our games to a video.

Overall one important lesson I have learned is real life first. I did drop out of some online games several times, when I realised they were becoming a real burden. So I would favor to have a third and final game with you, but I am totally with you focussing on what is really important.

Best regards
Gwaylare
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Lifever wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:35 pm
coombes545 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:37 am Herr Lifever, merci pour vos commentaires intéressants.
@ Coombes545

Tu as de beaux yeux...

This is the reach of my French... enough for school and a good time in France. More like body language and the polite question to switch to english...
Thanks for your effort to direct your first post towards me. I feel honored... and a little confused!
You don't fatten and eat that animal, do you?

Congratulations for placing that high..

---

Got some sad news - kind of.
Not the match - that is just a tragedy. ;)

A data-issue with the hd killed the final edit of the last vlog in which my wife had invested well over 20 hours. I had to remedy an nvidia update (416.xx+) that killed any rendering support from the gpu in the edit software, making it impossible to finish that project two weeks before that (damn those updates, damn publishers who are too greedy to resolve issues if the license is just 1y old. Still not moving my life into the cloud...)
I would also have to re-record some of the stuff. So don't want to re-edit, don't want to let it just go to waste => Sucks

Broke another finger "in Stalingrad" - yeah, same finger, other hand - the "triggerhand" this time. I know... What the... Built a house without a broken bone just to fall apart once living inside... "It was all downhill after I turned 35..."

Combined with the horrendous rng in Italy, which felt unsatisfying for a final performance, and the consequence of a two month penalty that data loss might have been the final nail in the coffin.

We await our third child in the beginning of december and I really wanted to finish earlier than that... to have my mind as free as possible.

Put together this might be the end of the LiFever experience.

iirc it was third place with the win in Stalingrad? That's as good as a win: in achievement and compared to my initial expectations ten times over.

Don't worry... don't cry! :D ... still doing great, but it might be necessary to put an end here to stay on top in life.

After that hd-accident I might be a little irrational, so I will let my family decide as they have to pay the price and inform you in time to set up the next round.

Kind regards

I am really confused is Lifever conceeding the match or conceeding the Tournament?

Because I kind of agree with GwayLare that you 2 have faced off now twice with both of you winning once against each other.

I want to see a final 3rd rematch in Kursk between you 2 to determine who is top Dog between you too. At the sametime I understand if Lifever needs to back away due to life/family things.

Sucks about computer crash...happened to me earlier this year, so yeah sucks when that kind of thing happens.

I guess I need some clarity on what is happening and possible next steps...
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

Well with Lifever's defeat, 1st is still up for grabs for all remaining participants. How exciting!
Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever »

a432 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:27 pm Well with Lifever's defeat, 1st is still up for grabs for all remaining participants. How exciting!
That's kind of the sad part... overall interest often dwindles if someone is too dominant. Only exception is extension of viewerbase / interest on the outside of the peers at the same time.
Good for you, YOU VULTURE! :D

---
coombes545 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 am Mr. Lifever, ich bin nicht wirklich Franzose, das war nur ein Witz, da Sie aufgrund meiner frühen Kapitulation dachten, ich wäre Franzose! In Wirklichkeit bin ich Brite. Es tut mir leid, von Ihrer Computer-Tragödie zu hören, die verdammten Dinge ärgern mich manchmal. Freuen Sie sich auf die kommende Geburt, ich hoffe, dass alles gut wird und Ihr drittes Kind sicher entlassen wird. Bist du sicher, dass du dieses Spiel aufgeben wirst? Ich bin mir sicher, dass Ihre Sachkenntnis vermisst wird. Nehmen Sie sich vielleicht ein paar Monate frei und kommen Sie nach Weihnachten mit einem neuen Kind und einem neuen Ansatz zurück. Wie auch immer, viel Glück bei deinen Entscheidungen. :D
Am I supposed to think you don't eat turtles now? Especially after seeing all the animal cruelty by your countryman jimthechip in France?
Either way I would finish what was talked about (replays, gamestyle, etc), so it will be no cold turkey quit.
Thanks for your well wishes. All the best to you too!
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Gwaylare wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 amMay be I am on a par with you
You totally convinced me: you really are a good roleplayer!
Gwaylare wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 am Someone needs a hard disk crash like a hole in the head. Never had a data loss like that so far.
Was a dataloss that happened from transfering data from hd to ssd and back probably... having no backup while being on the ssd and the other day the file was empty as I tried to load it. NoW I could have some suspicion how that could happen... maybe it was a save when we shut down the computer and the SSD didn't respond fast enough to the save - sounds unlikely, but I noticed an issue there.
Could also be my mistake by overwriting it and I didn't notice - the very same day I tried to render it. Edit sw always asks a stupid yes/no question ("import video files that are needed?"), that you always answer with yes... maybe I messed that up and answered an overwrite request. Change date of the file doesn't solve it as I overwrote that by doing test-savings to test the hd.
Those are 1Mb files... so not doing a history logging, always creating a new one is just stupid - especially if the source material clocks in at ~50GB. Knowing it's my mistake doesn't make it better though... ;)
No hd-crash for me so far... always swap hds if they get loud or start acting strange.[/quote]
Gwaylare wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 amSo I do not share your talent of making those video stuff, but may be my abilities are sufficient to record the replays of our games to a video.
Thanks... the term talent still needs to be deserved. Hopefully the time to edit that stuff gets better, because thinking and recording is the fun part. Editing is pure hell.. it's fun to see it come together, then kids come in and kiss you goodnight. Then you start looking at the clock more often and then you hate it more and more.

So I would really like to send you to hell - editing hell that is. We could meet there: I also started to do a conclusive video on the matter, but a little more personal - so keep at it.
If it saves you time, drop me a line and I will concede the games. Then you just have to record the replay and be done with it.

EITHER WAY: POST VIDEOS OF YOUR GAMES. :) This is what everybody wants to see...
Hopefully that was capslock enough.

Regards
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

For those interested in my thought process. Remember - recorded two days ago - Analyzing stuff for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RuIzhCux-c

woken
Panzer Corps Tournament 2nd Place

Post by woken »

Battle Report: Italy
woken vs Ratprince

I have won both games.
Attachments
allies15.PNG
allies15.PNG (841.45 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
woken

Post by woken »

Axis:
Attachments
axis13.PNG
axis13.PNG (843.06 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hansstory »

Congrats for the victory Woken. Congrats to Ratprince for making it very deep in the tournament. Good job guys.
woken

Post by woken »

Hansstory wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:04 am Congrats for the victory Woken. Congrats to Ratprince for making it very deep in the tournament. Good job guys.
Thank you Hans, for the most part we have a good group of people here and I hope to see you, Ratprince and the whole crew here next year.
goose_2

Round 10 Results

Post by goose_2 »

I applegize for the delay in posting this.

I had some people putting in overtime at trying to check the stats for the game, and everything is on the up and up.

So this saddens me to have to report the elimination of 4 great competitors.
coombes545 **
Riker **
Ratprince **
fcastrotello **

Do not worry boys I have it confirmed from management that you will all be awarded a new icon for making it to the top 10 of the competitors in this marathon of a tournament.

And we have a confirmed 1st loss for Lifever that he says he knew after the first day of battle.
Rough start I guess... :oops: :P :mrgreen:

So this complicates things while at the same time makes them sweeter.

This means that we will have 13 Rounds not 12. Which means I will have to think what makes the most sense for Round 13

I am open to thoughts, maybe a balanced map, like Return to Kiev?

This means the final 6 will be
* Lifever
* Gwaylare
**A432
alfredoallu **
woken **
Signum **

I will post Round 11 shortly, like in 12 hours, busy until then.

Again sorry this has taken so long.
goose_2

goose_2

Round 11 Kursk Match Ups

Post by goose_2 »

All right Gentlemen the final 6, and a verdict on how the final rounds will play out.
Lifever has finally met his match in the unstoppable Gwaylare in their 2nd face off, so they will face off again in a 3rd match up to determine who is the better man between the 2 of them.
I used an ancient method to determine who goes first between them since both have gone first before. What is this ancient method you ask? The coin flip of course.
Gwaylare gets to set up the match and Lifever has to accept and play his first round.

You two will face off this 3rd time in Kursk, the largest tank battle in history.

This side sets up the match vs This side accepts
Gwaylare * vs Lifever *

This is how this plays out for the remaining 4:

A432 ** vs alfredoallu **
The winner of this match will play the winner between Gwaylare and Lifever's match up.

woken ** vs Signum **
The winner of this match up will play the loser between Gwaylare and Lifever's match up.

So this may still be wrapped up after Round 12, as their will be 4 final players competing for Round 12 Gustav Line.
Lifever is guaranteed 3rd Place, as I said he had a place on the podium for having gone through the 1st 9 rounds unscathed, so now we will see if the others placed on their playing in Round 11 and 12 can knock him out for 1st and 2nd or if he will end up on top and the last 2 players end up getting 2nd or 3rd.

That is the fairest way I can think of playing this out, let me know if their are other thoughts.

Either way same rules apply:

No reloading as always...

Players should be playing both sides subsequently and you will have until Wednesday December 12th, 2018 to complete your match so I can set up Round 12. (Gustav Line)

Please everyone accept the challenge by Friday, November 16th so you can get started and get enough time to finish the match.

Again the Rules for winning:

How do you win a scenario?
Winning conditions will be based on the following:
1) Who wins the match up first. IE: You are playing your opponent and you get the last victory Objective on Turn 12, they do it on Turn 13 You win because you were faster.

2) If you both win on the same day, then it will be determined based on who has the most 2ndary Objectives. IE: You both win on Turn 12, but you have 4 2ndary Objectives and your opponent has only 3. You win because you took over and held more stuff.

3) If you both win on the same day and have the same number of 2ndary Objectives. It will come down to who ends with the most prestige to determine the winner. IE: You both win on the same day and with same number of objectives taken, but you have 500 in prestige and they have 499, you win because of your asset management.

So...If both opponents lose as the Germans, but than it will come down to how much territory the Germans were able to maintain.
Starting with Primary Objectives:

1) You have 3 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary...You win.
If those are the same...
2) It will then come down to 2ndary Objectives. You and your opponent both have 2 Primary Objectives, but you have 1 2ndary and your opponent has none. You win.
If those are the same...
3) If those end up being the same, the 3rd condition will be a little different, it will come down to how many surviving units you have on the map, not prestige.
So, you have 2 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary and you both have no 2ndary Objectives, but you have 5 units remaining, 4 infantry and 1 tank, and your opponent has 4, 2 tanks and 2 inf...you win.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Blessings on your match ups, and as always...Stay Lutheran My Friends!

goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Round 11 Kursk Match Ups

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am
You two will face off this 3rd time in Kursk, the largest tank battle in history.
Oh Kursk! We probably should see some good battle screenshots, shouldn't we? :mrgreen:
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2

Re: Round 11 Kursk Match Ups

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:09 pm
goose_2 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am
Oh Kursk! We probably should see some good battle screenshots, shouldn't we? :mrgreen:
Oh I hope so...that battle is tough all the way around
goose_2

a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

I hope this message reaches your ears fellow participants. This map kursk has an exploit that is OK to use according to goose. I want to inform everyone about this. I have no knowledge of this exploit until my opponent used it against me.

On the map their is hidden code. The code allows for the Russians to receives reinforcements on the map kursk. I initially thought it was a turn based mechanic, say after X turns you get reinforcements. However this is not the case. I'm not sure but I think it is based upon primary objective capture. I think the trigger condition is 4 out of 6 primary cities capture. However I'm not sure exactly what the trigger is more testing would be required. However you can exploit this mechanic by simply not capturing the primary cities and just leaving a weak unit behind to sit adjacent to the city. When you use this exploit you prevent the historical reinforcements the Russians got because the map was coded poorly with an exploitable trigger condition. I was wondering why my opponent was deliberately not capturing cities and then I realized I was not receiving the normal reinforcement prestige and I connected the dots.

To make matters worse this trigger effect is not publicly known. I have searched the web and the forums and there is not information about this effect so I wanted to make sure I posted here for the future.
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

The trigger is documented within the editor. So I agree with you, that maps with a trigger are a problem for multiplayer. You know about it or you do not. But if you know it, you cannot ignore it. Whenever something is triggered in a Panzer Corps map, this is done by a script and everything is visible in the editor.
Attachments
trigger.jpg
trigger.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 4101 times
Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hansstory »

Very interesting. How should gentlemen play this map knowing the trigger? Don't think it matters which way it is played, as long as there is a consensus or agreement on how everyone is going to play it. I know what I would do if I was the Russian and I got 1500 prestige when I got down to 2 primary objectives..I would build 12 conscripts around my two objectives left and 1 in the city too. Then I would build as many more as I could on the map. No way would the German win then. Now that I think about it, the German has to game that trigger or he can't win. 1500 divided by 60 is 25 conscripts on the map. Bam! Bam!! Germans will be entombed and mummified. LOL
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

Gwaylare wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:42 pm So I agree with you, that maps with a trigger are a problem for multiplayer.
So I can see why someone withholds info he found if he is opportunistic... but combined with that comment I call it bad sportsmanship and hypocrisy.
Why didn't you inform your fellow participants of that "problem for multiplayer" that you and alfredo found in your preparation for the map like I did in Stalingrad with the Caucasus? (which still wasn't enough clarification)
It's only a "problem" if the playing field is not level.
Glad I still have guests that withheld me from starting the next round.

It's the semifinals... It's frustrating after that long time of a tournament to lose to a technicality. And technically that's a sucker win.
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

I must voice my disapproval of how goose has handled this issue recently and also his past handling of Rishat.

In the past we had rishat, a person who was caught red handed using exploits at the game. The exploit of reloading the same turn multiple times to get an advantage. When it was found out that he used these exploits he was slapped on the wrist told not do to it anymore and was asked to restart his matches and re-do them.

Now we have alfredo who is using an exploit and is caught red handed. The exploit is preventing a map trigger in order to get an advantage. When found out about the exploit goose says it is an allowable exploit.

To me I see no difference between the two exploits, except one is allowed and one is not allowed.

I asked for restart in light of this new information that we are allowed to use exploits, but why don't I get a restart goose?

Since this exploit is allowable according to goose then things needed to have happened before hand. Number one the exploit needed to be disclosed to all participates before hand by the tournament leader. Usually in tournaments you are not allowed to use cheats or exploits. Exceptions can be made but they need to be documented and known to everyone that it is OK to use an exploit or cheat.

In addition this exploit is hidden. There has been no known posts or webpages about the trigger mechanic on kursk until I made my post so this unfortunate thing would not happen in the future. The only way you would know about it is using the editor program for the game. I didn't know we needed to be familiar with the editor in order to play in the tournament for panzer corps.

I get you are running this tournament for your own entertainment goose but maybe next time think about fairness and the fun of others. Glad I wasted almost a year in this tournament to be exploited on one of the final rounds.

Also if you use the map Andrennes in the future this is even a worse trigger that you can exploit. You can prevent the allies from getting 9400 prestige in that map by exploiting the triggers. Search "Ardennes MP reinforcement trigger" and you can see the post about the trigger and people given suggestions on how to fix the code so people can't exploit it and cheat.

Return to “Panzer Corps”