Panzer Corps Tournament 2020

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Indywise
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Panzer Corps Tournament 2018

Post by Indywise »

Wow, just watched Lifever's video. There's a moment where it looks like he calls up the stats for a battle - Am I misreading that? Or is that a thing? Who knew?

Result just in... fcastrotello Vs Indywise

fcastrotello wins Turn 24 as Axis

Indywise (probably) wins Turn 25 as Axis (unless he sneakily retakes somewhere in his turn 25 as the Soviets)

Super close game, and I enjoyed it a lot - but congratulations to my opponent and good luck for the rest of the tourney.

That's my third defeat, and I'm now out, but as a noob who picked up the game at Christmas 2017 I'm pretty happy to have made the last 16. I'm also quite proud that all 3 players who defeated me are still in the tournament - so my support now goes to Coombes545, Mkoki77 and fcastrotello, good luck guys.

Most of all though, well done to Goose on running a great tournament - I joined it on a whim, but it's been a very fun part of my 2018, and every single one of my opponents, win or lose, was polite and friendly.

All the best,

Indywise
Lifever
Panzer Corps World Champion

Post by Lifever »

Indywise wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 am Wow, just watched Lifever's video. There's a moment where it looks like he calls up the stats for a battle - Am I misreading that? Or is that a thing? Who knew?
That's the top secret ctrl-button. ;) I assume 90% of the regular players know and use it. It's up to us "christmas 2017 noobs" to find out the hard way. ;)

It's kind of a shame: I started using it on a regular basis in Rush or found out about rate of fire after Rush (thanks to a hint by Gwaylare and dug deeper through the forum after that..).
You mostly know by intuition what arty hits... and have to live with the result, so you basically still have to make the shot or move the unit in before seeing the predicted result in a lot of instances.
(Like with the AA in that vid, I had to make the move before actually seeing the prediction, which is 1:1 what the game tells you straight.)

So that detail info is not a game changer; it's like doing some betting. If you know the predicted result by intuition (which everybody does in PanzerCorps because the game tells you directly), you will make the "right call" in most cases if you got all other variables set right.
But of course it helps to finetune the efficiency and on a certain level it makes a difference to know about those extra percent (same as in betting, it helps to calculate and sometimes math proves even good intuition wrong).

Awesome you got some info out of that entertainment video. ;)

Press L and you see the last roles. The game is pretty reluctant to explain itself - a pity, because everything is very clear and a really good system.

I will switch to explain that stuff soon to give some lasting content to the community .. and maybe learn more on my own from responses.

Oh - btw - Great performance throughout the tourney... congratulations.
Indywise

Post by Indywise »

Cheers, I will definitely have to try that out - though right now I think I might take a well-earned break from Panzercorps!

Agreed, you very often have to decide who you're attacking before you even move, and you do already have the in-game prediction to go on, so it often wouldn't make a huge difference.

Rate of Fire? Last Rolls? - wow, 8 months of Panzercorps tournament and I'm still a noob... Still, if you had to figure all this out as you went along too, it just makes your performance in this tournament even more impressive!

Thanks again, and good luck for the rest of the tourney (not that you need it, clearly) :-)
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

I have been defeated by lifever at Stalingrad. I surrendered both sides. There is little doubt that not only would my Stalingrad fall early but that my German attempts would be slow and arduous. Lifever really is a master of the blitzkrieg arts. I can only hope that perhaps Gwaylare on his second attempt can put a dent into this giant.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

These are the last 4 matches left to report and less than a week to finish.

I hope to hear back soon:

Riker ** vs Mkoki77 **
Ins07 ** vs alfredoallu **
woken ** vs hansstory **
Yoky ** vs Signum **

Any word would be welcome
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hansstory »

I am back and playing again.
HerrStumpf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by HerrStumpf »

Can I get into any new tourney games and/or when can I sign up for 2019!?!?!

beherenow1@live.com
Hansstory
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Hansstory »

Woken has defeated me in both games. They were fun, stressful and bloody! Good luck in Italy Woken! Thanks for running the tournament Goose. See you guys next year hopefully!
Ins07

Post by Ins07 »

Ins07 vs alfredoallu : alfredoallu won
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

WOWZERS!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This was an intense battle between competitors and I do not have time to get into it as making supper, but wanted to report results as soon as I received them:

These are the results:
Winners Both sides
Ratprince **
Gwaylare *
Lifever
woken **

won as Axis better than their opponent
fcastrotello **
alfredoallu **
Riker **
Signum **

Loser Both sides
coombes545 **
A432 **

Lost and are eliminated from the Tournament 3 losses
jimthechip ***
Indywise ***
hansstory ***
Ins07 ***
Mkoki77 ***
Yoky ***

We lost some great competitors and Round 10 will be going up soon, but will have to wait until after I put kids to bed tonight
Blessings

goose_2

goose_2

Round 10 Italy

Post by goose_2 »

This is momentous, stupendous, tremendous, and any other kind of dous you can think of.
These last 10 players have weeded through a list of 138 other participants and almost 9 months of battles to make it to Round 10 Italy.
You really are unmatched when playing this game on a competitive level.
Congratulations!!!

This is the final chance to ding Lifever's perfect record. It will be a rematch for these 2, but this time Gwaylare sets up the game and Lifever accepts and plays the first turn.
If Lifever wins this match up he will be the undisputed Panzer Corps World Champion 2018, but it will be a free for all if he loses. No pressure Gwaylare. ;)

Since Gwaylare is from Germany and you are from Austria, it has not escaped notice that this years Tournament is coming down to the face off between the man from the country who started World War 2 and the man who is from the country who fostered the men to get it done.

This side sets up the match vs This side accepts
Gwaylare * vs Lifever

The rest are still competing for a place on the podium, just unsure which place that is going to be, it could still be the top spot, but someone will need to garner a win on Lifever for that to happen.

coombes545 ** vs A432 **
alfredoallu ** vs Riker **
Ratprince ** vs woken **
Signum ** vs fcastrotello **

Either way same rules apply:

No reloading as always...

Players should be playing both sides subsequently and you will have until Monday November 5th, 2018 (My Birthday) to complete your match so I can set up Round 11. (Kursk)

Please everyone accept the challenge by Friday, October 12th so you can get started and get enough time to finish the match.

Again the Rules for winning:

How do you win a scenario?
Winning conditions will be based on the following:
1) Who wins the match up first. IE: You are playing your opponent and you get the last victory Objective on Turn 12, they do it on Turn 13 You win because you were faster.

2) If you both win on the same day, then it will be determined based on who has the most 2ndary Objectives. IE: You both win on Turn 12, but you have 4 2ndary Objectives and your opponent has only 3. You win because you took over and held more stuff.

3) If you both win on the same day and have the same number of 2ndary Objectives. It will come down to who ends with the most prestige to determine the winner. IE: You both win on the same day and with same number of objectives taken, but you have 500 in prestige and they have 499, you win because of your asset management.

So...If both opponents lose as the Germans, but than it will come down to how much territory the Germans were able to maintain.
Starting with Primary Objectives:

1) You have 3 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary...You win.
If those are the same...
2) It will then come down to 2ndary Objectives. You and your opponent both have 2 Primary Objectives, but you have 1 2ndary and your opponent has none. You win.
If those are the same...
3) If those end up being the same, the 3rd condition will be a little different, it will come down to how many surviving units you have on the map, not prestige.
So, you have 2 Primary and your opponent has 2 Primary and you both have no 2ndary Objectives, but you have 5 units remaining, 4 infantry and 1 tank, and your opponent has 4, 2 tanks and 2 inf...you win.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Blessings on your match ups, and as always...Stay Lutheran My Friends!

goose_2

paulwalvoord
2017 Panzer Corps Multiplayer Championship 3rd Place
2017 Panzer Corps Multiplayer Championship 3rd Place

Post by paulwalvoord »

Very glad to see that 2 of the people i lost to are still in the tourney! The final round(s) should be very exciting!
a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

2nd objectives for this map what are they? Are they only all of the circled city objectives in Sicily? or do normal cities count towards 2nd objectives? Primary objectives are all the circled cities on Italy mainland?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Primary Objectives are the boldly outlined objectives...2ndary Objectives are any enemy held territory
goose_2

a432
OoB Tournament Winner
OoB Tournament Winner

Post by a432 »

Ok thanks for the clarification.
AMDonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AMDonline »

Gwaylare vs Lifever
should live streamed on twitch, just sayinn
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

Wow, this is really exciting.
Lifever

Post by Lifever »

AMDonline wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:41 pm Gwaylare vs Lifever
should live streamed on twitch, just sayinn
This is LiFever vs Gwaylare II if we go by common fight nomenclature - the reckoning. ;)

I really thought a lot about twitch and all that since round 4 or 5, but I see no way to do it in a competitve turn based game without having a penalty out of it. It doesn't even have to be the opponent, there will always be friends who tell you "I hope you didn't forget..." or "You will lose xy if you don't .. ". Just changes the comlexion of the games.
Maybe I should have bitten the bullet for the promotion of the game. Seeing those games unfold is definitely something that would create a lot of interest.

At the time the "reward" seemed too low for me... in other words I was and still am under the impression it is more important to salvage the winning spot than to entertain short-term and lose.
Response just wasn't high enough to see it otherwise unfortunately. Maybe if I would have been around for a longer time period... more people would have gotten the entertainment and productive aspect, but that's not for me anyways.
I want to get things done, elevate something to the best of my abilities and move on if there is nothing else to do.

Possible solution:
Cutting together the first 3-5 turns once we have progressed a lot further would be an option that would not influence the game.
But then again... the result will be in while updates are still in the middle of the game.

That aspect by the way is a real obstacle for the promotion of this genre in the grand esport-picture.
People today don't have the interest and patience as they used to 50 years ago when chess games were really big.

I will touch on those matters soon.. and at least the next video will get uploaded this week. :)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

sn0wball wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:10 pm Wow, this is really exciting.
I have to say I find that how this has played out has been better than I expected.

First off getting 138 participants was more people than I could have hoped.

The way it played out to have everyone weeded out to the final 25, then 16, now 10...as such I expect this to get wrapped up with the Tournament after Round 12, so a full year of play to get the top 3 competitors of this epic tournament.

This has been so much fun.

With that said, the last 2 matches I think should be Round 13 Kursk and final battle Round 14 Gustav Line...

Thoughts?
goose_2

ClaireRedfieldU
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ClaireRedfieldU »

With that said, the last 2 matches I think should be Round 13 Kursk and final battle Round 14 Gustav Line...

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Hello Goose_2, with all due respect to you, I want to note that the tournament has been delayed and it’s not so interesting to follow him, it's time to finish with the old tournament and start preparing the new tournament for panzer Corps.

Return to “Panzer Corps”