Grand Campaign difficulty Field Marshal

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Rizzospeed
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Grand Campaign difficulty Field Marshal

Post by Rizzospeed »

Hello

I have played the original Panzer Corps campaign on the difficulty level "Colonel" without any problems.

I'm currently playing the Grand Campaing on "General". I have just finished the Sedan scenario and until now (May 1940) it was way too easy so I'm planing to switch the difficulty level to "Fiel Marshal".

What do I have to expect? Hordes of bolshevik tanks, especially 43, 44, 45? Is the AI playing more intelligent?

I'm playing the 1.25 version of the game.

It would be nice if an experienced player could tell me something about the Grand Campaign diffulty settings.

best regards
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Grand Campaign difficulty Field Marshal

Post by huckc »

Going from General to Field Marshall the AI will actually have the same amount of units and will be at the same intelligence (the highest).

The only difference will be that your units will gain experience slower thus will generally be weaker due to this.

General
Player Prestige: 100%
Player Experience: 100%
Player Strength: 0
AI Prestige: 150%
AI Experience: 100%
AI Strength: 0
Turns: 0
AI Level: 2

Field Marshal
Player Prestige: 100%
Player Experience: 50%
Player Strength: 0
AI Prestige: 150%
AI Experience: 100%
AI Strength: 0
Turns: 0
AI Level: 2

From here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=43127
NightPhoenix
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by NightPhoenix »

The difference between General and Field Marshall is the limited amount of experience your troops get. 50% instead of 100%. This means your troops will take more damage overall, as their relative combat odds are worse. The AI will not play better on a higher difficulty level.

As of the Grand Campaign, it is designed to be easier at the beginning (1939-1941) With the more difficult mission here or there. During this time the main goal is to gather as much prestige as possible for the harder years of 1943-1945. It seems the game becomes more difficult once you get to Russia in 1941, at which point i think the intermediate level starts (Arguably until end 1943). Depending on how you look at it, the game takes it up another notch in 1944-45 which will be the hardest difficulty. Depending on which path you will take East or West, you will either face a very limited amount of prestige and overwhelming Allied air force in the West, or you will face endless hordes of Soviet tanks in the East.
As a general guideline many people seems to think 60.000 prestige by the end of 1942 (in the East) is the minimum amount of prestige you need in order to finish the game in 1945.
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

If you are playing on field marshall (because of the above mentioned slower experience accumulation) you need to deliberately use the earlier 3 scenarios to 'farm' heroes and experience so you have some really tough units for the harder scenarios of the later campaigns. e.g a tiger or king tiger against a heavy later russian tank would greatly damage it but also take some expensive losses. If it is heroed up and experienced it might kill the russian completely without taking any losses at all!. The airforce as well it is very important and economical to have heroes.
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

You will face more units (they will definitely spam a lot more late game if given the opportunity) at General/Field Marshall than at Colonel level due to the increased prestige for the AI. I haven't noticed much difference in the AI's ability except that it is more aggressive. However, this often makes the game easier at the supposedly harder levels because a heavily entrenched unit can easily be lured out of it's entrenchment and out of close terrain by placing an appetizing unit just within sighting range with an artillery backup whereas, at Colonel level (AI=1), you typically have to spend a couple of turns knocking down high entrenchments with air/artillery as they won't foolishly give it up.
Rizzospeed

Post by Rizzospeed »

thanks for your replies !

I have started a new Grand Campaign on Field Marshal level from the beginning on. Now I have just arrived in France and I've got my 3 SE Unit slot.

Until now I have 2 SE Units (Infantry). In the 1940 Campaign you can get Tanks as SE Units.

Does it make sense to disband both of my SE Infantry units in order to have 3 free slots for maybe 3 SE Tank units?

best regards
Last edited by Rizzospeed on Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Rizzospeed wrote:thanks for your replies !

I have started a new Grand Campaign on Field Marshal level from the beginning on. Now I have just arrived in France and I've got my 3 SE Unit slot.

Until now I have 2 SE Units (Infantry). In the 1940 Campagin you can get Tanks a SE Units.

Does it make sense to disband both of my SE Infantry units in order to have 3 free slots for maybe 3 SE Tank units?

best regards
Before you start your next match add regular replacements to your SE unit that you are going to sell.
Sell the one you see as least important to you, until you get the SE tank you want.
Once you have 2 tanks do the same to your last infantry unit so you can maximize the prestige you receive for disbanding.

No sense in disbanding both as you cannot get 2 SE units in one scenario.

Having completed The Campaign at Field Marshall level I wish you the best in your endeavors, and check back here with any questions or any additional items you may be curious about.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Rizzospeed

Post by Rizzospeed »

How much prestige should you have after finishing the DLC 40 campaign?

I'm now at Reims, this means 3 Scenarios until the end of the DLC 40 campaing and I have 19.500 prestige.

With how many prestige points should you start the DLC 41 campaign on field marshal level?

Another question, am I the only one who is NOT using towed artillery units? I'm using 8 self-propelled "Sturmpanzer" units and I'm planing to upgrade them to "Hummels" later.

I like them because they are very flexible but after reading some other threads I'm not sure whether they are the best option for the Grand Campaign.

What's your opinion on that ?

best regards

Return to “Panzer Corps”