Anyway to tell if you are prestige capped? "soft cap" means?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

econ21
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Anyway to tell if you are prestige capped? "soft cap" means?

Post by econ21 »

I've read about the soft prestige cap that starts to kick in when your army averages 400 cost. Is there any way in game to see if/how much you are capped? I'm coming into GC43, so suspect it may start to be an issue. If I hover my mouse over the prestige total on the map, it says "soft cap 100%". Does that mean I am getting 100% prestige - i.e. not capped? It seems to have been that way since Poland, which is reassuring, as my army was cheap then.

How is the average 400 calculated? Is it just from the units you deploy on the map (excluding SE)? Not the ones in reserve that you can deploy if a unit is destroyed?

Thanks for any advice.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Anyway to tell if you are prestige capped? "soft cap" me

Post by huckc »

100% means 100% prestige, so optimal.

I believe it's total number of deployment slots for the scenario divided by 400. A good way to suppress it is by not deploying fully.

Correct, SE units don't count so it pays to have them be the most expensive.
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Anyway to tell if you are prestige capped? "soft cap" me

Post by hugh2711 »

I believe its the average value of all the units. total value deployed divided by number of slots SUPPOSED to be used. There are ALOT OF threads on the 'softcap', it can get quite complex. e.g. if you deploy 10 tigers (at 703) for a 10 unit mission you are stuffed with the soft cap; as a guess you get about 60%. however by the time you get to gc43 by the end you really need tigers as even with farmed heroes and experience bonus's cheap tanks wont cut it. I think with gc44 you need some king tigers at 990per unit, ouch!, it forces you to put weak/cheaper units in the mix and be very particular about which unit you use for any job. Overstrengthening anything beyond ten counts even more towards the softcap and can become prohibitively expensive! However the free SE units are not counted towards the softcap so it makes sense to farm your SE units to be the most expensive ones you need. I am in gc44 and I have 7 SE tigers/king tigers as overstrengthed as I can afford because they dont count toward the soft cap. I am still getting about 40% softcap. My game improved considerably when I gave up (cheaper) infantry for SE units. I actually quite like the softcap, it makes you be more creative and economical. in above case i get 40% of the usual rate for taking a victory hex etc and also if e.g. I was supposed to get 100per turn i would only get 40% of that.

Return to “Panzer Corps”