Odd Switch Unit Trick

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Odd Switch Unit Trick

Post by proline »

Sorry if someone else has discovered this already. So I was playing Soviet Corps the other day and realized something special. For most switch units, you can only ever access the base class of the unit, and only ever deploy as the base class. So the 88 always deploys in AA mode, and you'll never upgrade it to a jagdPanther. :cry:

However, the Russian 76.2mm M1942 is the exception! You can buy it as either artillery or AT. Whichever mode you have it in at the last turn is what it deploys at next scenario, and whatever mode it is in right now is the upgrade path you get (either between scenarios or in scenario). When I realized this, it was huge- I love playing with the SU-100, but it is only available the last 3-4 scenarios. In much of the early war, Russian AT are pretty unnecessary as their tanks are so good. Now I can turn a few artillery into 100s.

The reason this seems to work is that both the AT and arty versions of the 76.2mm M1942 are available for purchase under the exact same spelling. This means that the game engine can handle this functionality just fine, and many people have asked for this. All Slitherine would have to do is add the corresponding units to the equipment list, which shouldn't be too hard. Then we could do things like deploy our 88s in AT mode, upgrade an LRDG to a nice 1943 infantry type when they no longer cut it anymore, upgrade our early war Italian infantry to Sahariana when it comes out, etc. Wouldn't that be nice?

Edit- ok this has been known for years, and you can get this functionality by removing the no purchase tags for the switch variants in the equipment list (which doesn't work on the iPad). Why the hell didn't the devs implement this throughout the game? Did they really think letting Italian infantry upgrade to Sahariana would ruin the game?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... de#p496072

Return to “Panzer Corps”