Restoring Strength Points

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

jdarocha
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Restoring Strength Points

Post by jdarocha »

I’ve always wondered about this but never bothered asking; If I have a Stuka that is at 13 strength points, and that Stuka gets hit by enemy antiaircraft and goes down to 9 strength points, why is it that my Stuka when back at the airfield can only be brought back up to strength one point at a time? Is this a setting or just a reflection of how long it would take to bring a squadron back up to full strength?
Thanks in advance
Halder
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Restoring Strength Points

Post by goose_2 »

Standard strength for your unit is 10, so if it was brough down to 6 strength, you could restore it to 10 strength in one turn, but overtstrengthening during a scenario is 1 strength at a time.

I would not recommend doing this because it is very expensive, and you will need the prestige later in the game.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
ycloon
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ycloon »

The strength point restoration mechanics is the same both during the deployment phase and during the scenario (except for cost differences). As goose_2 said, the first restoration/reinforcement - if current strength is below 10 - brings the unit's strength back to 10. Thereafter, each reinforcement (must be elite reinforcement) adds one point of overstrength.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Keep two things in mind at all times- first, there is a discount for elite replacements between scenarios, so don't repair during the scenario more than necessary. Second, each point you add over 10 costs more than the last one. So repairing a Stuka from 10 -> 13 costs far more than 7 -> 10. Playing PzC as the Germans at a high level requires being very careful with your money. For that reason, good players use over strength sparingly. Oh, one more thing- over strength units have a proportional effect on the prestige cap, so a 15 strength Tiger 2 can have a serious effect on your income.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

in the Deployment Phase

Replacements up to 10 cost nothing but as these are defacto green units they lower the overall experience of a unit

Elite Replacements up to 10 cost half the regular price of a unit and keep your level of experience at the same count
(Eg if a new unit with 10 strength costs 200 Prestige each Elite Replacement costs you 10 Prestige, keep in mind that you have to buy an transport for units that need one as well, so a 250 Prestige unit with a truck (50 prestige) total cost of 300 prestige costs you 15 prestige)

Overstrength is always Elite and have a progression in cost for each step (can not confirm this is true for all units as I have not done it with all, but I think it is the same for all)

11 strength cost you the Regular Price of 1 Unit (EG a 300 Prestige (costs for Transports included) unit cost you 30 Prestige)
12 strength cost you 150% of the Regular Price (for the 300 Prestige Unit example this 45 Prestige)
13 strength cost you 200% of the Regular Price (so that's 60 Prestige for our Example)
14 strength cost you 250% of the Regular Price (now we are at 75 Prestige)
15 strength cost you 300% of the Regular Price (which means 90 Prestige)

Note the Total Cost for a 5 Overstrength Unit is exactly the same as for the Regular 10 strength Unit so a 15strengther costs you 600 Prestige for our Example. Or in modified Game Show Terms "The Price is Twice !"

A 15 strength Unit is definitely a force to be reckoned with and a 12, 13 or 14 strength Unit is no slouch either, but the Costs to keep Units at that Strength can be devastating. The Nonchalant typical 1 unit nibbled off a 500 Prestige Fighter by these nagging Mobile AA Units is a "nice" 150 Prestige Points lost or the unfortunate roll of a Tiger cut off 2 Strength by a resilient Infantry Unit even if its 1-shot cost you a whopping 385 Prestige to Replace, which is the equivalent to a Nice Medium Tank

So while having 15 strenghters is very nice, the maintenance side costs may kill you especially for Units that directly engage in Fights like Tanks or Fighters. So it is wise to fully overstrength Units like Arty or AA cause they are not as likely to get hit.
But they are not the same in the Pecking Order of the Enemy (EG a Wurfrahmen is always a Premium Target for the Enemy Air Force and unless you are sure you can defend them well with Air Cover or AA a 3 strength loss by a "kamikaze" attack really stings at almost 400 Prestige lost. So I often consider to go Regular or 1 strength with the Wurfrahmen to stay fiscally effective.

Although on some Campaigns or Scenario even a Close Combat 15 Strength Unit makes a lot of sense as the enemy shies away from attacking them directly (EG in Afrika Korps the Allied Fighters leave your 3star Experienced Overstrenght Fighters and the Bombers they cover alone, so they have a Free Run as long as you can avoid AA, I have seen 15strength Infantry left untouched in a City Hex even though were encircled and completely surrounded, Warning don't try that with guys like goose though, he is a notorious and relentless mass attacker and forces surrender after surrender with his menacing Infantry/arty combos :roll: )

Like all things in Panzer Corps nothing is carved in stone though and that's good. If you just work over a spread sheet with predictable results all the time this game would get boring very soon.

Just saw I have babbled about the Deployment Phase only :oops:

Just Short
I'm sure the Ingame Costs have a similar Progression, but I cannot say anything about it, except it costs more.
Why Not? Very simple I avoid replacements let alone Elite reps in the Game as much as I can and just do it in Desperate Mode when a Unit is in Grave Danger to get killed off

Especially in the GC East in the later years the burned Prestige for constant Ingame Reps will bite you ......

Return to “Panzer Corps”