Should AFVs

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

JagdpanzerIV
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Should AFVs

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

with thin armor such as half-tracks be made into soft targets?

Discuss...
(currently, infantry, at guns and artillery are soft targets)
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Should AFVs

Post by Yrfin »

Thin ?
SdKfz 250/251 (in real) have same armor like Pz I/II, SdKfz 231-232, Soviet T-26, BT-5 (15 mm): GD 6 in game terms.
But for unknown reason ("game balance" ?) dev's make it lower than 8 mm: GD 3. And unarmored half-track SdKfz 7 have same "armor" and target type.
So, solution i think, just correction GD for AFV, but not a changing target's type.
When im died - I must be a killed.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

JagdpanzerIV wrote:with thin armor such as half-tracks be made into soft targets?

Discuss...
(currently, infantry, at guns and artillery are soft targets)
What units are you talking about? Recon and light tanks? Making them soft would have the effect of making them hyper-vulnerable to artillery and air, while making them stronger against heavy tanks and much, much stronger against anti-tank. That would seem to be exactly backwards of what 'thin' armor is for, which is protection from shrapnel from artillery and air, not fighting off an IS-2.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

units such as halftracks...
the reasoning is somehow like this, airplanes fighters attacking halftracks is done vs hard targets. Should not it be vs soft targets instead?
Because .50 machine guns could probably get thru them, but not thru tanks at all. (ok maybe thru pz 1A & B but those are more like minitanks with thin armor)

Also, if i were attacking an halftrack with a tank, i would fire an HE round into it, i would not use an AP round.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

JagdpanzerIV wrote:units such as halftracks...
the reasoning is somehow like this, airplanes fighters attacking halftracks is done vs hard targets. Should not it be vs soft targets instead?
Because .50 machine guns could probably get thru them, but not thru tanks at all. (ok maybe thru pz 1A & B but those are more like minitanks with thin armor)
Airplanes fighters attacking ground targets have 1/1 (Soft /Hard Attack). Nothing will be changed with changing target from hard to soft.
Its just another Deveropers Team stupidness thing, maded 1/1 for air fighters. Must be 1/0, IMHO.
JagdpanzerIV wrote: Also, if i were attacking an halftrack with a tank, i would fire an HE round into it, i would not use an AP round.
What Tank do you have ?
I didn't mean in your garage :)
With 2, 3.7, 5, 7.5, or 8.8 caliber gun ?
For 2 - 5 cm calibre dont matter what you shoot (HE or AP) to unarmoured (soft) target : explosion effect will be same for both types (HE or AP).
When im died - I must be a killed.
proline

Post by proline »

If you want to familiarize yourself with how this would affect gameplay, read some of the threads about the new Russian recon car that came with Soviet Corps. They made it a soft target so that it would be more survivable, which is a real issue with recon. Boy did they succeed. That thing can stand up to numerous shots from a jagd panther. Very annoying in practice.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

Yrfin wrote:
JagdpanzerIV wrote:units such as halftracks...
Airplanes fighters attacking ground targets have 1/1 (Soft /Hard Attack). Nothing will be changed with changing target from hard to soft.
Its just another Deveropers Team stupidness thing, maded 1/1 for air fighters. Must be 1/0, IMHO.
JagdpanzerIV wrote: Also, if i were attacking an halftrack with a tank, i would fire an HE round into it, i would not use an AP round.
What Tank do you have ?
I didn't mean in your garage :)
With 2, 3.7, 5, 7.5, or 8.8 caliber gun ?
For 2 - 5 cm calibre dont matter what you shoot (HE or AP) to unarmoured (soft) target : explosion effect will be same for both types (HE or AP).
i'm asking opinions because i made a mod were i removed all HA from fighter planes. But i think it's silly that halftracks are hard targets. If they were soft, then they could be strafed and destroyed by fighter airplanes.

Agree that small caliber guns won't make a difference either AP or HE, but that's just early in the game. A tiger 2 for example should not use its HA vs a halftrack.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

proline wrote:If you want to familiarize yourself with how this would affect gameplay, read some of the threads about the new Russian recon car that came with Soviet Corps. They made it a soft target so that it would be more survivable, which is a real issue with recon. Boy did they succeed. That thing can stand up to numerous shots from a jagd panther. Very annoying in practice.
i know how it affects gameplay, i make mods all the times :P
i just want opinions. to increase the scouts survivability, i raised their initiative and gave them 4 spotting instead of 3.
tds in the game have very low SA so harder to destroy soft targets. I don't think it's bad, most carried AP ammo exclusively i think.
JagdpanzerIV

Post by JagdpanzerIV »

for Pz Corps 2, maybe they could make everything with less than 10mm of armor as soft targets?
and also remove HA from most fighter planes, except those with powerful cannons should keep HA 1 (maybe?)

Return to “Panzer Corps”