Lets talk about stuff that annoys you in PzC.

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Lets talk about stuff that annoys you in PzC.

Post by Yrfin »

1. AI actions
2. Rugged Defense
3. Combat rules
4. Bonus system
5. Unbalance at units setup
6. Maps design
7. Hot keys

Anything else ?
When im died - I must be a killed.
AMDonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Lets talk about stuff that annoys you in PzC.

Post by AMDonline »

The negativity is strong with this one.
robman
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by robman »

Always with the negative waves, Moriarity!
Seriously, if I could change only one thing, I would like to be able to install and play community mods and campaigns on my iPad. That's my Number One Ask for PzC II, should there ever be such a thing.
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

robman wrote:Always with the negative waves, Moriarity!
lol. I just re-viewed "Kelly's Heroes" today :)
And I think we are never see PzC II in future :( (Negative waves mode switch on.)
When im died - I must be a killed.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Kelly's Heroes is a great film.

The Sherman vs Tiger scene could provide the basis for a nice bonus mini scenario in US Corps to upgrade to a Tiger.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

1) The installation of up to 14 serial numbers (if you bought it as the dlc's came out) and files to install the complete thing is the most ridiculous thing i have seen in 30 years of using computers.

2) One of the most crucial pieces of information in making choices in the game - the rate of fire - being carefully hidden somewhere in a file so you basically have to hack the program to get at it.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Yrfin wrote:1. AI actions
2. Rugged Defense
3. Combat rules
4. Bonus system
5. Unbalance at units setup
6. Maps design
7. Hot keys

Anything else ?
I would enjoy reading some elaboration, constructive criticism can be very helpful.

Especially regarding AI actions, is it because they are too slow/take too long or are they too fast. For brand new players, the complaint is almost always that it's too fast, you can't really keep up with the map moving around and unit's damaging each other so quickly. For veterans, including me, I always find it to be too slow. Sometimes I just hit end turn and walk away from the computer for a minute and stretch my legs rather than watch something I can't interact with or affect.

I think I'd like it to be both slower, and faster. Slower in the default settings for first time players to better be able to watch and absorb everything happening. Warp speed for experienced players, almost as fast as not even seeing the AI turn at all. Just a listed summary of actions the AI took instead of playing out all its move and attack animations. Not on by default, but an option for those who want it.
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

AI takes no more than 20% of time of the turn, 80% are an animations and pauses.

AI is good to learn to safe units, to take away to the back and replacement strongly damaged.
[MOD] RUSSIA AT WAR:1941 - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=75743
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

Ok.

6. When a veteran air unit runs out of fuel and dies. :x
5. When 1 strength enemy unit manages to survive a massive attack and hides somewhere to reinforce. Sometimes It's a pain.
4. Gazala Line and all other lines in AK. :twisted:
3. Neverending AI Tank Hordes in some scenarios / Waiting for the AI to move all his airplanes in late war scenarios.
2. AI Unit spam in some scenarios / Scripted spawning AI Armies or huge Airfleets.
1. There is a Sea Lion expansion, but no official Pacific content. :cry:
Make love, not war.
Rayrard
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Rayrard »

When you attack a 11 strength La-5 with 3 fighters in mass attack and it gets knocked to 1-2 strength, and you lose no fighters. Then you attack the singleton and he gets one hit on you.

When you smash an infantry and it retreats into a forest and you go and finish it off and it takes off 1-2 points from you "mopping up unit"

The stupid Allied Flak halftracks that zoom across the map and attack 2-3 at a time sometimes, always going for the Bf-110's.

Rugged defense on entrenchment = 1

Dropping a paratrooper and it always falls off course into the spotting range of an enemy unit, always with a tank or artillery present, OR always onto the river.
captainjack

Post by captainjack »

Rayrard wrote:Dropping a paratrooper and it always falls off course
That sounds familiar! It is one of many reasons I very rarely use paratroops. However, most of the other reasons are due to a problem with the quality of the general rather than annoying game mechanics.
AMDonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AMDonline »

it annoys me that you can't choose the path a unit will take from A to B, sometimes the unit will choose the one route that will get blocked by enemy unit in fog of war although it's capable of going through the safe path.
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

captainjack wrote:
Rayrard wrote:Dropping a paratrooper and it always falls off course
That sounds familiar! It is one of many reasons I very rarely use paratroops. However, most of the other reasons are due to a problem with the quality of the general rather than annoying game mechanics.
Two are more bad luck than generalship. The strength 1 fighter getting a fluke hit on you is a bad dice roll because fighters do not have rugged defense. Rugged defense on E=1 is also very unlucky and should not be assumed when determining to attack a unit on clear terrain! Entrenchment of +2 would get me to think about a single artillery strike to get it to 1.

The mobile flak-halftracks from off map are also not foolproof to avoid unless you refuse to use your bombers on frontline targets, or you know the maps and enemy dispositions so well you know exactly where each Flak is coming from. Even in scenarios like Bukinova Depot where you have a ton of American units, I know there are four halftracks on the map but I want to take out the 3 Soviet fighters in range. Even holding the airforce back for a few turns isn't good because the land forces need air support from the KV-5's and Churchills. Better to just live with the Flak mobbing one of the Me-110's or fighters for a turn and then wipe them all out in the next one.

The annoying 1-2 hits by a smashed unit in the forest should be avoided by a good general. But how many times does a routed unit fall back on a hilly terrain and turn around and inflict heavy casualties relative to the remaining strength? Seems like defeated units will be demoralized and unable to defend.

I always wonder if singleton units have a bonus on defense because I've hit full strength units one on one and knocked off 8 without loss, and then I go in with another experienced unit to finish it off and the weakened unit gets a "consolation hit"
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

Another annoying thing that happens is when I take HEAVY (relative) losses in snow or rain when I ambush enemy units. It is better for me for the AI to run up to my front line and stop without engagement (and take them in my turn), than them to run into an ambush when it is raining or snowing. I have had T-34's and KV's run into my Tigers with artillery behind them, and actually SHOOT FIRST because of the initiative loss in the rain. So they can shrug off the artillery and force it to use ammo, AND get 1, 2 or even three hits on a tank they would not dare to attack normally. So a unit gets punished by ambushes in the rain/snow. I will actively avoid setting up ambushes in crap weather for that reason. In one of the 1945 battles with the multiple Soviet pincers I lost HEAVILY because of snow. I had several units that should be untouchable reduced to under 5 strength because the AI just "runs into" multiple ambushes and gets free first shots!
AMDonline
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by AMDonline »

i remember one of my allied infantry ambushes a german Tiger and (my unit) gets annihilated taking a -8 hit :shock:
what a disastrous ambush it was.

Return to “Panzer Corps”