Panzer Corps 2

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Panzer Corps 2

Post by nikivdd »

If we would ever be lucky to have a Panzer Corps sequel...
What should remain the same and what should be improved?

I prefer to keep the 2D graphics which allows faster game play and keeps the AI turns reasonably short.
There should be more units for a nation that plays a major role in a campaign; the Axis minors so far are neglected.
Let's dump the SE bonus units and make them available for purchase, at least then it is possible to create a SE division besides the regular units.
Let's introduce the prototype unit and expand the heroes like in PG2; i do miss the trait for an aircraft to conduct missions during any type of weather.
Artillery defensive fire to any friendly unit within it's range, not only adjacent to.
Possibility to tell the AI which units it should purchase with prestige.
Units should not be able to resupply when cut off from the rest of the army, a frontline needs to be introduced.
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
BJGeary
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Panzer Corps 2

Post by BJGeary »

nikivdd wrote:i do miss the trait for an aircraft to conduct missions during any type of weather.
It should be noted that so-called "all-weather" (radar-equipped) aircraft didn't enter service with the Luftwaffe until 1942 and was used only on fighters in the first half of the war (the RAF had radar-equipped fighters as early as Nov. 1939). It wasn't until 1944 that the Allies began using radar-equipped bombers. The Germans, AFAIK, never did mount radar for bombing purposes. Such a trait should be a factor for selected units and not something that heroes can provide.
edahl1980
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by edahl1980 »

Recon planes for all major nations.
Soft cap calculator so its possible to know if one is under the cap, at the cap or over the cap.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I remember in Panzer General 3 that they had several paths for you to chose, I enjoyed that.

What would really make Panzer Corps 2 stand out, is if the set up to the scenario, had several ways the enemy was set up, that would add to the replay value and make it more difficult to just come up with a standard mode of assault or defense depending on the scenario.

What I mean is have 3 or more ways the set up of the opposing force can be arranged so the player is not sure where each enemy unit is and forces them to use caution in there approach and to utilize recon.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

My main thought would be to combine Europe and Africa (and America) into one great campaign, keeping the scale roughly in line with the vanilla campaign.

I could list a million other things, but its late and I don't really feel like thinking about it much.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
wargovichr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by wargovichr »

I'd like to see the game, units and map sized correctly. A panzer corps did not conduct battle on a strategic scale like in the game over multiple army sized fronts.
The possibilities are endless for such a scale from 5 years of war on the eastern front, making the game immortal. THIS is where panzer corps action happened.
Also, I would enjoy an eastern front sized version and no, not with all the complicated private mods download jazz.
If such a theater sized game was done the one thing I would love would be to add optional control of unit development and production.
ElDude
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ElDude »

A better way of mapping movement. too often the computer will choose a route you know looks like an ambush. Way-points or a way of telling the computer you reject that path, choose another.
Something done with line of sight. When there's cloudy weather, air units should have trouble seeing units in surrounding forest hexes, probably shouldn't be able to see the hex below them if it's forest.
HalfLifeExpert
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

nikivdd wrote:If we would ever be lucky to have a Panzer Corps sequel...

I prefer to keep the 2D graphics which allows faster game play and keeps the AI turns reasonably short.

I personally don't want a direct sequel-remake of Panzer Corps, at least not for quite a long time.

But if that were to happen, I fully agree on keeping the 2D Graphics, improve their quality perhaps, but keep them.

I tried Order of Battle: World War II, and I didn't like that I could barely run it on my laptop which I have logged most of my 300+ hours of Panzer Corps on. I also think that the 3D modeling of everything the way it is done and the way the gameplay is done is just so much less efficient than Panzer Corps. I know it wont happen, but having played OOB, I still would be very happy to have a Pacific expansion for Panzer Corps.

One of the main reasons why I love Panzer Corps is that it is a relatively simple game from a technical standpoint compared to a lot of the stuff out there now. It does make me think of an older era of games from the 1990s and early 2000s that I do kind of miss, with of course the stability of modern software.

But if I were to throw down my own idea for a Panzer Corps sequel-remake, it would be to have more 'alternate' scenarios and paths in the main campaign to add more variety and intrigue to changing the outcomes of key engagements.
charge62
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by charge62 »

In no particular order.

Improved AI. Use artillery to soften targets in support of another unit, rather than fire after an attack has gone in. Use units to maximize value of their own zones of control. Avoid throwing armor into close terrain, when possible.

Leader bonuses that align better with the unit type.

Fix the soft cap. Make the soft cap status part of the regular interface. This doesn't have to be a hard number. It could be a percentage or a color coded light depicting how close to the cap you are or how far over. Include a toggle for the soft cap in the options interface. Perhaps even include a slider to change its setting, rather than just an on/off selection.

Recon aircraft for all nations and time frames.

All ground recon units can interrupt their movement, then resume. Ground recon needs to remain viable into the end game. The ability to move up, take a look, then withdraw behind your line, whether in offense or defense will permit this.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

nikivdd wrote:If we would ever be lucky to have a Panzer Corps sequel...
The gameplay from Panzer Corps in combination with the look from Order of Battle, or even better!

In my opinion is an improved graphic the most important thing for a Panzer Corps 2! :wink:
Rood

Post by Rood »

- improved AI
- choosing hero traits instead of getting random (and often useless) values
- re-balancing of artillery and air (tactical bombers), too powerful now
- dynamic LOS, like it's implemented in OoB so depending on the terrain a unit has reduced LOS, also a ship on a coastal hex should not be able to see 3 hexes inland
- some improvements to the UI notably the ability to see hero traits (and a toggle to see them added to the default stats)
- graphics wise: personally I loved the style of PG II, really would like to see a HD version of that
- I don't like how the soft cap is implemented now, I understand the reasoning behind it but since it was implemented when the GC was already released (?) it always felt too harsh for me. Maybe add a few sliders for that so we can easily play around with the values
- AT should be more interesting, could be used in the same way as it's in OoB now, so just like artillery we could have supporting AT. Not sure about this

That's of the top of my head.

An improved AI would be the most important thing for me though.
KarlXII
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by KarlXII »

Totally agree that the A.I is the most important factor when buying a strategy game for single player use. So that should be the focus of a Panzer Corps 2. Would also see some sort of supply system in place but that might break the whole concept.
Biomech242
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Biomech242 »

It is a small fix but the German translation for russian "Guard units" is not "Wachen" but "Garde" I know the german army had/has Wachbatallion ect but in the german litaratur the Russian guard units are always translated with garde
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

Biomech242 wrote:It is a small fix but the German translation for russian "Guard units" is not "Wachen" but "Garde" I know the german army had/has Wachbatallion ect but in the german litaratur the Russian guard units are always translated with garde
Yes, agree!
Naxor
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Naxor »

I wish there would be separate core slots for ground and air units. Most of the time in multiplayer it is not worth have any air units at all because ground units are cheaper and a lot more effective and most importantly don't waste your precious core slots when it is bad weather. Desert maps are only exception when air can be useful but again after gaining air supremacy you have 3-4 expensive fighters each worth around 500pp and you can't do almost anything useful with them if enemy has no air units. Another solution would be to double ground attack values for fighters and tactical bombers to make it worth fighting air supremacy.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Your request goes hand in hand with this thread.

So I will link it here. That way we may be able to eliminate duplicate requests.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 21&t=72849
funat
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by funat »

I think OOB is Panzer Corps 2 (from Slitherine's perspective). So it probably won't happen.
demyansk
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by demyansk »

In Panzer Corps when the unit gets bonuses it's difficult to see what unit has them when attacking
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

I would agree with keep it 2D - stuff the eye candy. Most sequels change the visual stuff and it actually looks and plays worse. BUT I would add higher resolutions so that (particularly for the big maps) when zooming out larger areas can be displayed.
I would agree with concentrate on the AI, ITS ALL ABOUT THE AI, make it better.
more maps bigger maps.
more info on units; DISPLAY RATE OF FIRE FOR EACH UNIT (and maybe next upgradeable date?)
All data/information on the soft calculations be displayed (similar to pressing L and displaying the conflict data)
when CTRL L for projected results ALSO display the projected experience increase.
Ability to use multiple monitors and to keep windows open (e.g. the ctrl L data) or the strategic map on another display.

Streamline the ridiculous install process:
Currently installing every dlc and expansion including putting in the serial for each one takes MANY HOURS. Since i bought the grand campaign in one go I only have 8 serials to put in and then install the next enormous file for each episode, the people who bought the grand campaign one by one have an extra 9 as well. Its actually really insulting/penalising to those who support the game by buying it - no wonder there is piracy.
Last edited by hugh2711 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bcnkor5
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by bcnkor5 »

[quote="nikivdd"]If we would ever be lucky to have a Panzer Corps sequel...

Panzer Corps 2: A great idea is a good game and a new version would be very well appreciated.

Return to “Panzer Corps”