El Guettar Help

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

mcseamus
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

El Guettar Help

Post by mcseamus »

Any suggestions? I was proud of myself for doing well up to now, but this scenario has me stumped. The Axis seems to have superior quantity and quantity that I cannot handle.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: El Guettar Help

Post by ThvN »

Hello mcseamus, it depends a bit on your core forces, but overall I would try not to split up your army too much. Head for Gafsa and the nearby airfield and focus on getting the special trucks to their setup zones. This can be done quite quickly, and with the extra units you get you can set up a good position to advance eastwards from there. I usually ignore the entire Northeastern quadrant of the map.

The Axis counterattacks are vicious so make sure everything is covered by artillery and try to rotate damaged units instead of running the risk of opening holes in the frontline. Retreating/regrouping can save your units and help set up ambushes. Air power works very well here, but watch out for those AA units (there are some 88mm Flaks and mobile AA). I often take two big level bombers with me, which can bomb away ammo/fuel to neutralize the heavy Axis armour.

Some more spoilers/hints:

Ambush as much as you can. Some Axis units are very fast and can be easily baited, esp. the SE infantry in halftracks can often be caught in their transports.

The Axis attack is triggered by setting up the two depots and/or taking El Guettar. If I have enough time I usually try to establish a big block of units right up against the minefields west of Sened; this will leave less space for the AI to attack but there is a risk of them going around you with some fast units.

If you manage to kill the two Panzer IIIN with the glowing strength plates you will be joined by a special unit.
IttoOgami
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IttoOgami »

After playing hours on Panzer Corps, I found this one hard, too. The major issue: they have a lot of 8.8 in their attacking force in this one, meaning its very dangerous for your airforce.. On the second time I found it much easier. After triggering the Axis attack, I pulled back immediately in the areas around El Guettar and the northern supply dump. When they have to stretch out for there, it is much easier. IMO its kind of hard if you don't have a strategic bomber in your core by then. The one Tiger can even rip the best armor you have at the time, the M 10, apart, and you can render it useless soon with a strategic bomber.

Generally, in U.S. Corps its really an issue that your armour is kind of weak You get the Sherman M4A3 early on, but it will be your best tank for a looong time. But the US have great Tank destroyers. The M10 Wolverine is already good, but the Hellcat, which is also superfast, is just awesome! So while, in a German core, I have hardly more than 2 ATs, here I go for 3-4 early on.
Neul
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Neul »

Why does it kick me out after 7 turns just before I get my objectives? Thought it was a 25 turn scenario.
GSlapshot
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by GSlapshot »

In the briefing, you must build the supply depots by turn 7.

Return to “Panzer Corps”