Steam Achievements

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Steam Achievements

Post by Rork »

Well, I checked my two saves, the final one and the one at V-Rocket site (I went to the Bulge, made historic sense on Patton difficulty).

At the start of the V-Rocket scenario, I had two 4+ stars Marauders with two medals and three heroes each, one +3 Attack (purchased in Sicily), the other +1 Attack (purchased in Torch). And yes, I did exactly the same things as you did, plus upgrading to Invaders at the Battle of the Bulge. Mayhap that the V-Rocket path offers overall more targets than the Bulge.
Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delta66 »

Indeed I think it is the "easier", or most rewarding path.
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

I'll give it a try and report back. Many thanks for your suggestion.
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

Checking the steam achievements I realized that they don't work anymore. I don't use any mods. So what can be the problem? Certainly these achievements are not essential for playing the game but would be nice to get anyway. :wink:
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

Most likely problem is using the cheat codes or playing custom difficulties. Other than that, you'll need to be more specific, because sometimes there are pretty weird going-ons with some of the Steam achievs.
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

I've finished today the AK campaign on Rommel difficulty, with only decisive victories except a (programmed) loss at Alam Halfa so as to go in defense and somewhat simulate the historical situation. Much to my annoyance, the Desert Fox achievement was not unlocked :evil: . Does anyone know if said achievement needs only victories, making the long campaign mandatory? Other than a stupid bug, it's the only reason that I can think of for not unlocking that damn achievement. As usual, if need be, I can provide a save.
CommanderNico
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by CommanderNico »

The Rommel achievement requires you to WIN the campaign, the Alam Halfa route does not lead to a victory
this steam guide is very helpfull: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =244331746
As you can see, only British india leads to a "Victory"
"Field Marshal diff nearly broke me, not doing Rommel/Guderian/Mannstein.......yet..."
Campaigns completed:
Vanilla : Field Marshal
Campaigns active:
Afrika korps: Colonel
GC39: Colonel
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

Thank you for the answer.... and bookmarked the link for future reference.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Finally finished 1943 Campaign and received my 1st Minor Victory

Any guesses on which scenario?

I am hoping that my next achievement will be highest German Award, but we shall see.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Rayrard
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Rayrard »

I got awarded steam achievments for stuff I didn't do (no airforce, no artillery, etc.) which kind of ruins the system.

I don't think I can win a scenario with only one core unit without losing objectives when I go run around to get the other objectives. The ones with lots of auxillaries are faced by lots of enemy units. Even a Super unit tank cannot attack cities and an infantry is too vulnerable to armor and artillery.

I got the Bagration medel and and can get the Berlin medal but it takes hours to fight that battle.
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

Rayrard wrote:I got awarded steam achievments for stuff I didn't do (no airforce, no artillery, etc.) which kind of ruins the system.
Yup, it happened to me too: most disappointing. On the other hand, what you mention might simply have to do with unclear achiev conditions: if you didn't buy those units during battle but only in-between battles (while managing your core army), then, as far as I can tell, it worked as intended.
Rayrard wrote:I don't think I can win a scenario with only one core unit without losing objectives when I go run around to get the other objectives. The ones with lots of auxillaries are faced by lots of enemy units.
Start Afrika Korps, play the first scenario and make sure that you get at the end the elite unit and that it's a tank. Second battle is Ras el Mdauuar, deploy only one regular unit (preferably also a tank, second choice an artillery) + elite unit and you're all set. You probably won't get the extra prestige awarded for destroying the overstrengthened bunkers, but you'll be able to achieve a decisive victory and both Under Strength Army and Lone Wolf steam achievs.
Rayrard wrote:I got the Bagration medel and and can get the Berlin medal but it takes hours to fight that battle.
Haven't yet got to those two, still struggling with Rommel difficulty in Afrika Korps. Something tells me the save function will be your best friend and bet there... :twisted: .
Last edited by Rork on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Rayrard wrote:I

I got the Bagration medel and and can get the Berlin medal but it takes hours to fight that battle.

I tried Bagration a couple of times, but got spanked pretty hard.

Any suggestions on beating that scenario that doesn't involve starting and reloading, I like playing straight up.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

goose_2 wrote: Any suggestions on beating that scenario that doesn't involve starting and reloading, I like playing straight up.
"Learn thy enemy". Well, its not a real quote but sounds good.

Playing the first AI turn over and over will let you understand what to expect. Study the AI deployment so you know what he has. Then use the intelligence, and move your forces accordingly.

That should work for any scenario, not just Bagration.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

goose_2 wrote:I tried Bagration a couple of times, but got spanked pretty hard.
Any suggestions on beating that scenario that doesn't involve starting and reloading, I like playing straight up.
You might consider tackling it on Guderian difficulty: since it's a defensive battle, 5 less turns might work a lot in your favor 8) .
Other than that, use the editor for intelligence work, plan your buys accordingly, exploit the AI stupid patterns and set up ambushes*, save aircraft for critical situations, fall back to more defensible positions or aggressively defend choking points if any. Last but not least, keep your fingers crossed for lucky rolls :mrgreen: . Hope this gives you a starting point, otherwise these are considerations so general as to be meaningless.
Honestly, the whole achievement thing is something designed to make you spend more play hours. While some of them are understandable and challenging, like beating the game on various difficulties, others, like beating Bagration or Germany, are just to add numbers, so any means the game offers to win without cheating, I'll gladly use. It's not like it means or proves something; after all, playing the non-Steam version of the game doesn't need any of this stuff.

*Sorry, can't resist: what was wrong with the old PG "Out of the sun" aerial ambush? Seriously, "Unexpected encounter" :shock: ?
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

I think Bagration and Germany are good scenarios to play (versus all those others that are easy to win as defender or attacker) as a medal-earning achievement. Germany is actually not so hard to beat as the AI is stupid and attacks on predictable axes. I just concentrate around Berlin (with lots of heavy equipment to concentrate rather than strung out over a long line) and a couple localities against the West (usually in the north on the river) and the enemy comes to you. Then occupy the cities when you've ground the enemy to dust. There is plenty of time to accomplish all of this.

Bagration used to be a reloader/repplay turn type scenario when you reload until the IS-2 doesn't smash the crap out of your PZ4's on turn 1 and wipe out the Pionere and ATG on turn one. Also if the Sturmoviks get a good turn and smash 3-4 points off the Panther or Jagdpanther. Now I can play it without reloads (still vulnerable to bad rolls) and the last time I wiped out the entire Russian Army on the last turn to win the medal. First time I managed to wipe the map clean on that scenario. You have to manage the troops as a battlegroup, as in ignore the defense of most of the objectives. You will lose all the cities at least once, and this helps since you can get prestige by recapturing them. Just don't lose them all at once! I will put infantry in the middle city with the forests and take out as many Russians as I can before they die. I buy a couple Tiger 2's, a Jagdpanther, and retreat my Panther and other assault guns immediately into a cluster in the north of the map. The Russians will all run for the river hexes and cross the river toward the objectives and will never flank the river to the north. Your battlegroup is safe in the north. Let the Russians waste time driving to the western cities and splitting up their army, while you try and take out outliers and ones on the rivers. Then go east with the battlegroup and take the city that had the Pionere (you can sometimes save the Pionere by retreating west). Then send stuff to take the Soviet starting city which is guarded by only a AA gun. The Russians will start streaming back to retake those cities, and you destroy them as they come. Don't let them mass against you or you will die. Beat pieces of the army in detail and destroy them. Important to buy a FW-190D9 and join the 2 Me-109's in wiping out the Soviet AF immediately before you lose the middle airfield and have to retreat to the western field. The Soviet AF will not challenge you after turn 5 or so and you can regain airfields in the east later to keep the planes alive.

I think the ultimate steam achievement for a stand-alone scenario is Advance to the Elbe. :twisted: I actually won that as the Germans ONCE on colonel. Don't know if I can pull that off again.
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

Rayrard wrote:I think Bagration and Germany are good scenarios to play (versus all those others that are easy to win as defender or attacker) as a medal-earning achievement. (...)
I think the ultimate steam achievement for a stand-alone scenario is Advance to the Elbe. :twisted:
There's also the fact that all these scenarios are designed for the campaign, not for solo play. Imho maybe the early war scenarios might be the ones more suited to solo play and MP, as the disbalance there is relative and more or less historically accurate.
I can think of only one real worthy achievement: win any campaign without saving :lol: .
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

They should add steam achievments for all the stand-alones to beat them as both defender and attacker. One will be easier than the other but the achievement would hang on beating from both sides.

You could get such gems as AK Mareth Line as the Germans, AK Fort Capuzzo as the Italians, and Overlord as Germany on the original. Even Manchuria on Soviet Corps is a challenge.
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

Rork wrote:
Rayrard wrote:I think Bagration and Germany are good scenarios to play (versus all those others that are easy to win as defender or attacker) as a medal-earning achievement. (...)
I think the ultimate steam achievement for a stand-alone scenario is Advance to the Elbe. :twisted:
There's also the fact that all these scenarios are designed for the campaign, not for solo play. Imho maybe the early war scenarios might be the ones more suited to solo play and MP, as the disbalance there is relative and more or less historically accurate.
I can think of only one real worthy achievement: win any campaign without saving :lol: .
That could be done but I fear the game crashing. The casualties and prestige usage would be much higher and I probably couldn't get to Berlin with any prestige. I can't imagine not reloading the turn when I accidentally fly my best fighter into a pile of Flak, or drive my halftrack into a T34, or those fun times when a fighter strafing takes 5 off your 15 strength SE Tiger. :)
Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

I've finished Afrika Korps on Rommel difficulty, got the achievement and, thank God, I'm forever done with all the damn difficulties.
But - and for this I'm pretty pissed-off - no Elite Anti-Air :x . I had an 8.8 Flak unit purchased right at the start and used throughout the entire campaign, mostly as an AT gun; it reached 500 XP in India by taking out some bunkers. Let me tell you, it was hard work for those 5 stars, so I really really would like to know WHERE THE HELL IS MY ACHIEVEMENT! In the vague hope that someone may need them, I kept the saves for the beginning and end of the British India scenario.
Rayrard

Post by Rayrard »

Oddly enough I finished the Grand Campaign 44 East and the achievement still sits unlocked. I beat every scenario with a DV.

I have a AA gun with 495 experience points with Berlin redux ready to begin. I hope to hit enough YAk9U's and Sturmoviks to get over 500.

Return to “Panzer Corps”