Steam Achievements

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Steam Achievements

Post by goose_2 »

As of this weekend I was able to get Steam Achievement #69 as I saved my last round of Berlin before I took the last 2 cities for a Decisive Victory and allowed myself to get a Marginal Victory which gave me that Steam Achievement and Yay! 69 of 80 only 11 more to go.

I have started my blind playthrough of Reconnaisance in Force on Rommel Level attempting the Italian Challenge so once that Campaign is done that should be 3 more Steam Achievements, maybe by the end of the year.

I have also restarted 1939 on Guderian and on Manstein.
The Guderian Campaign I am intending on taking West for a blind playthrough.
The Manstein Campaign I am intending on taking East for a 2nd playthrough.

I am going to let my playthrough be a playthrough as if I am being recorded so no reloads for better results or different enemy attack, however I will replay scenarios from the start if I see a different strategy is needed to try and win.

I was able to complete the first 2 scenarios on Guderian level without any losses and on the first try Decisive Victory's.

Manstein on the other hand has been a different animal as the first scenario required me to restart and try a different strategy each time with different units based on the increase in enemy strength. It was on my 3rd try that I was finally able to squeak out a Marginal Victory, and then my 2nd scenario my newly purchased Pz38(t) with 9 str was destroyed by their 15 str Bomber and their Superior 7TP was no match for my green Pz38(t).

I could play it again, but I was rather pleased with my performance in my first time ever playing that particular scenario and at this stage of the war I am ok with losing a green unit.

The one quirk that has appeared in my Manstein playthrough is that I have exceeded the 39 experience cap.
I have 3 artillery units that are over 225 experience. I do not have any units with over 300 experience but I did not think it was possible for me to get above 225 prestige in 1939. Not sure what is going on, but it has me concerned that I will not be getting the Manstein Steam Achievement, when I did not change anything on the custom setting after I clicked Manstein, so is there any logical explanation as to why I am experiencing this?

Thanks for your thoughts.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Rayrard
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Rayrard »

Yikes, 39 on Manstein would be a tough challenge. On the Polish counterattack and Warsaw scenarios it could get bloody. The Modlin fortress with 20 strength, and the other fortress and train, would not let your army get within range.

I did my Rommel on 39 as the prestige hit is not as hard to handle, and Rommel would be easy from 39-43 but tought when the cap hits. I did Guderian in 40 as the scenarios are doable in the faster turn limits imposed. The Eben Emael was a hard one to do in time, and a few scenarios I has to use 2 paratroopers far in the rear to take critical cities. Guderian is doable from 39-45 as turn limits are not a big deal unless you are doing Sealion 40 or 42 in the regular game. Manstein is definately more difficult early and becomes easier later (post 41). Then you can get tons of prestige from surrenders and your 12-13 strength multi-star units can stand up to 15 strength attackers. I did Manstein in 41 for Greece and Barbarossa and it was a methodical grind rather than a blitz, but it was pretty easy.

I switched to Colonel for the rest of the war post-42 because my prestige was only about 30K to begin 42. I don't know if it's possible to play Rommel from 39 to 45 as you'd have no prestige left by 44-45 with the soft cap.

I am still on 73 achievements. I tried 39-42 on Field Marshal to see if I could trigger "Grandest Campaigner" given I played the GC at different difficulties before (maybe you need to play at one level for the whole time) but that didn't work. I will have to play through to 45 again, but if I can't get the Grandest Campaigner then I don't know what to do. The US Corps I don't own yet so the American medal won't come soon. Multiplayer is 5 medals though.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Rayrard wrote:
I am still on 73 achievements. I tried 39-42 on Field Marshal to see if I could trigger "Grandest Campaigner" given I played the GC at different difficulties before (maybe you need to play at one level for the whole time) but that didn't work. I will have to play through to 45 again, but if I can't get the Grandest Campaigner then I don't know what to do. The US Corps I don't own yet so the American medal won't come soon. Multiplayer is 5 medals though.

Multiplayer are some of the easiest and funnest medals to earn. ;)
goose_2

Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

goose_2 wrote:I have started my blind playthrough of Reconnaisance in Force on Rommel Level attempting the Italian Challenge so once that Campaign is done that should be 3 more Steam Achievements, maybe by the end of the year.
Interesting choice, same one I made and kinda makes sense from a historical point of view. Viel glück, Herr General!
goose_2 wrote:I have also restarted 1939 on Guderian and on Manstein.
The Guderian Campaign I am intending on taking West for a blind playthrough.
The Manstein Campaign I am intending on taking East for a 2nd playthrough.
There's a name for this, it's called masochism :twisted: . And it's an extreme one at that: I can think of several '45 battles which at first glance may well prove to be impossible on these difficulties. Most of those will be defensive, but some have objectives that require a path to that requires time (read "turns") to clear. And I don't even want to think about Berlin facing hordes of 20-overstrength armor... So yea, good luck, you're gonna need it.
I did Guderian - Patton that is - on the US Allied Campaign, for the sake of some realism: shorter campaign, based on fast victories against weaker Germans.
For Manst... er, Eisenhower, the choice was the British Allied Campaign, again for historical accuracy (at least, when facing the Germans; the Italians really didn't count :lol: ): fewer enemy units, but far more dangerous and tougher, takes some real planning to tackle them.
goose_2 wrote:The one quirk that has appeared in my Manstein playthrough is that I have exceeded the 39 experience cap.
I have 3 artillery units that are over 225 experience. I do not have any units with over 300 experience but I did not think it was possible for me to get above 225 prestige in 1939. Not sure what is going on, but it has me concerned that I will not be getting the Manstein Steam Achievement, when I did not change anything on the custom setting after I clicked Manstein, so is there any logical explanation as to why I am experiencing this?
Very strange. I'm currently playing the GC (just started '41; can't wait for Rudel :mrgreen: ) and, for obvious reasons, I constantly watched the units' XP and there was no going over (cap was usually hit halfway through one campaign). Check the achievement status and see if anything False shows up. Other than that, I think you can upload the save to the tech support part of the forum and ask for clarifications before you advance any further.
Last edited by Rork on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I now officially have 71 out of 80 Achievements as of this weekend as I busted through 39 on Guderian and Manstein.

you can follow here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=75632

and here:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=75627

I hope to type up updates sometime this week.
goose_2

Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Erasermarek »

Can i ask guys... how to set Guderian or Manstein difficulty? I play on Colonel now (Lillehammer - GS 1939) and before i start whole campaign i see only Field Marshal difficulty or something like that.

Next question... I save KMS Blücher in Oslo - but is not with me in Lillehammer mission - its bug or ...?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Erasermarek wrote:Can i ask guys... how to set Guderian or Manstein difficulty? I play on Colonel now (Lillehammer - GS 1939) and before i start whole campaign i see only Field Marshal difficulty or something like that.

Next question... I save KMS Blücher in Oslo - but is not with me in Lillehammer mission - its bug or ...?
First question: You have to finish the last mission with a Decisive Victory of either the Vanilla, Allied, Afrika, or Soviet Corps, to unlock the bonus difficulties of Rommel, Guderian, and Manstein.

2nd question: The KMS Blucher is an auxiliary unit, and as such will not be part of your core force and will not carry over into subsequent scenarios.
goose_2

Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Erasermarek »

goose_2 wrote:
Erasermarek wrote:Can i ask guys... how to set Guderian or Manstein difficulty? I play on Colonel now (Lillehammer - GS 1939) and before i start whole campaign i see only Field Marshal difficulty or something like that.

First question: You have to finish the last mission with a Decisive Victory of either the Vanilla, Allied, Afrika, or Soviet Corps, to unlock the bonus difficulties of Rommel, Guderian, and Manstein.

2nd question: The KMS Blucher is an auxiliary unit, and as such will not be part of your core force and will not carry over into subsequent scenarios.
Thanks for quick answer... Sad i cant use it in Narvik naval battle ( i hope there will be something like that in Narvik scenario) bcz i expect superb naval superioty of Allies.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

All the Norwegian scenarios are pretty easy in comparison to the last 2 Polish scenarios, imho
goose_2

Erasermarek
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Erasermarek »

goose_2 wrote:All the Norwegian scenarios are pretty easy in comparison to the last 2 Polish scenarios, imho
wait... you tell me that Narvik (first lost battle for Germany in War) is in this game easy mission? Jesus why? I expect something like great Royal Navy unit... French, Polish, Norwegian and British unit against small army of Germany... they lost 10 destroyers! I try save Blucher only for this great naval clash...

Unhistorical?
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

I have reached 74 steam achievements. Unfortunately, despite having all GC achievements individually, I did not get the Grandest Campaign achievement (however that is called in English). I guess I won´t play the GC just for that again.

I lack Guderian and Manstein and I am not sure if I like to try them. Does anyone know if you can get them for playing on the equivalent ALLY levels ?

Mutual destruction seems to be impossible to achieve. In all these years, this has never happend.

Also, I need to play more MP, as it seems :).
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

sn0wball wrote:I have reached 74 steam achievements. Unfortunately, despite having all GC achievements individually, I did not get the Grandest Campaign achievement (however that is called in English). I guess I won´t play the GC just for that again.

I lack Guderian and Manstein and I am not sure if I like to try them. Does anyone know if you can get them for playing on the equivalent ALLY levels ?

Mutual destruction seems to be impossible to achieve. In all these years, this has never happend.

Also, I need to play more MP, as it seems :).
I will gladly show you the ropes in multiplayer. ;)

Mutual destruction will happen there. ;)
goose_2

Rork
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rork »

sn0wball wrote:I have reached 74 steam achievements. Unfortunately, despite having all GC achievements individually, I did not get the Grandest Campaign achievement (however that is called in English). I guess I won´t play the GC just for that again.
On my way to that, now starting '44 East. If I don't get it once the West branch is also done, I'll probably be very pissed off :mrgreen: .
sn0wball wrote:I lack Guderian and Manstein and I am not sure if I like to try them. Does anyone know if you can get them for playing on the equivalent ALLY levels ?
Yes, you can get them on every campaign, just make sure you select the correct equivalent, as they have different names in the non-German campaigns.
sn0wball wrote:Mutual destruction seems to be impossible to achieve. In all these years, this has never happend.
On any given scenario, just work yourself into a 1 str. vs. 1 str. situation (hint: use F5 :wink: ), save before the final attack and reload as many times as you need in order to get it. Keep in mind to not alter the difficulty and have fog of war on at all times. The result is much more likely to occur with the same kind of units (same type of infantry, for instance) or with units which usually stand a good chance of destroying themselves (sub vs. destroyer, AT vs. tank, AA vs. Air).
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

sn0wball wrote:Mutual destruction seems to be impossible to achieve. In all these years, this has never happend.
On any given scenario, just work yourself into a 1 str. vs. 1 str. situation (hint: use F5 :wink: ), save before the final attack and reload as many times as you need in order to get it. Keep in mind to not alter the difficulty and have fog of war on at all times. The result is much more likely to occur with the same kind of units (same type of infantry, for instance) or with units which usually stand a good chance of destroying themselves (sub vs. destroyer, AT vs. tank, AA vs. Air).
[/quote]

That´s 75 now. For whatever reason, it never crossed my mind to artificially orchestrate this situation. With two SPAT units in hotseat mode, it was a matter of minutes. :)
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

goose_2 wrote:I will gladly show you the ropes in multiplayer. ;)

Didn´t we cross blades once, quite some time ago ?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

sn0wball wrote:
goose_2 wrote:I will gladly show you the ropes in multiplayer. ;)

Didn´t we cross blades once, quite some time ago ?

I am sure we have, I always like showing people the ropes. ;)
goose_2

sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

Beating GC39 on Guderian was pretty easy and comparatively fast.

Also, I am aiming at completing some MP levels.
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

Now I am trying for GC39 on Manstein, which is a weird challenge. Especially the Polish airforce is a serious threat with its squadrons of 15.
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

77. I just made GC39 on Manstein. Especially the urban polish scenarios were a drag. Infantry backed up by str 17 artillery is very hard to crack. Str 15 AA guns allow no mistakes. Now I need to finish a few MP scenarios. Only I will probably never achieve the GC reward. I don´t think I will play it again completely. Has anyone ever gotten it ?
sn0wball

Post by sn0wball »

78. Gladiator, Silver, wasn´t that hard. Gladiator, Gold, will take some time, though.

Return to “Panzer Corps”