Panzer Corp on Android ?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Panzer Corp on Android ?

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Even though this topic is mostly about the Android OS, I will go a little off topic here:

When you develop a game, you are thinking mostly about "Is the game going to be worth its production?". It is released on one OS, usually the one it was designed for, and once it proves its worth on that, then the developers start considering making it for another (in PzC's case - the ipad). The challenge here is where will it get the most purchases - most people do not want to buy the game twice (though I like to!), so it can be difficult. Most people have one phone (either an iOS, Android, Samsung etc.), so If a company chooses to go that way, they will often release it to most kinds of that device (as a third party. If you are the game's designer and the designer of a device, then usually it will stay on the one device).

Alternatively, It may be decided to aim the product at different parts of the market. As an example I have made up 4 devices each with their part of the market.:

- The Minigamer Chip = Used by 32% of the people who chose one of the 4 products / the majority of players are 30+ years old
- The Box of Fun Games = Used by 29% of the "market" / the majority between 7-20 years old
- Fun Joe's Latest Game Device = Used by 17% of the "market" / the majority over 30.
- GameGen = Used by 22% of the market / the majority 20-30 y.o.

In the case of PC, you would as a developer, probably go for Minigamer's product first, as the most people use it, and although it has a similar amount of players to the Box of Fun Games, a large proportion of the Box's buyers are under 20, and are quite likely still "kids" (some would even be too young to play the game). Minigamer is offering a product that is targeted towards the same audiance that Panzer Corps is. Minigamer can be said to represent the iPad in the real world.

OK, so Panzer Corps is released to Minigamer, and has sold 1.5 million copies. Now what? An interesting decision has to be made now - do you aim the game towards the 20-30 y.o. people as with GameGen, or do you go with the remainder of the audiance that you aimed at when you sold it to Minigamer, by going with Fun Joe. Or, you could slightly alter the game so that it would suit people who play the Box of Fun Games. Most devs don't really want to alter the game, so even though the Box of Fun Games has more players, it isn't really all that suitable based on the audiance.

Simply put, many other factors need to be taken into consideration, such as the target audiance. It is better to get 350k sales with a Fun Joe's type console, than to get 700k sales from the Box of Fun Games, but have a bunch of people who aren't mentally ready on the game (social issues may become a problem in 20 years, and we don't want that!) Lots of people already enjoy this wonderful game, and so after a while, porting it to other consoles may start to lose some of its value, and can cost the development team cash that could be better spent on developing Panzer Corps 2 or something else (I am not suggesting anything in the form that PzC 2 is planned etc.)

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
carlisimo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carlisimo »

Flaygor wrote:So you are reluctant to produce PC on Android due to piracy. Is this your only reason? Because if it is, it makes no business sense whatsoever.
They've stated in this very thread that it isn't. Just scroll up a bit.

People are now buying Android phones that cost at least as much as iPhones, and those buyers tend to buy a lot of apps. But that’s not yet true in the tablet world. I can see how it’d be difficult to make money on this kind of game in the Android tablet ecosystem. Give it time. And there are other costs, like having to provide customer support for purchase and install issues (on iOS, Apple handles those).

Besides, Slitherine does have games out on Android, which should provide some data points for a decision to port Panzer Corps or not. It looks like they haven’t been doing well enough.
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Molve »

The harsh truth, at least for me, is that if I were to get a tablet, it would have to be the expensive iPad.

As a boardgamer (including "electronic boardgames" such as turn-by-turn Panzer Corps) there simply is no competition. Unfortunately, I might add... Sure you get a quality product when you buy Apple, but you pay through the nose for it.

In my dreams I could pay the same as for an iPad to get a bigger tablet, enough to work as an "universal boardgame" (perhaps 24"), with the same selection of bgg apps as on iOS today...
schlagbaum
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by schlagbaum »

Hi.

Is there any decision made concerning Panzer Corps on Android OS?
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Sorry, but on Androyd there is no this game Panzer Corps !?
https://www.50gameslike.com/games-like/ ... ps/android
Bondaro

Post by Bondaro »

Sorry I do not speak english ;(

Ich würde mich auch sehr freuen wenn es Panzer Corps auch für Android geben würde... Und ich bin Baujahr 1966

Google translate:
I would also be very happy if Panzer Corps would also be available for Android ...

and I am belly year 1966
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

For me too...

Return to “Panzer Corps”