Overlord mission - Possible to win ?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

JUmpingJAckFLash
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Overlord mission - Possible to win ?

Post by JUmpingJAckFLash »

Hello there

Just bought Panzer corps (Iplayed in Panzer general in past),
Its a beautifull game but damn..... I try the German mission (For noob i suppose) ,
After 6 games i can t win and finish Overlord mission and i cant understand how is possible :

Can't put off boats and planes so what the problem

Maybe you have some tips..... ill check others topics too

Maybe you know a french community (forum...) ?

Have a nice day
JUmpingJAckFLash

Re: Overlord mission - Possible to win ?

Post by JUmpingJAckFLash »

116 view not any reply ..nice forum :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Hehe...Are you playing it in campaign mode or as stand-alone scenario?

If you're new to the game and play only that scenario it is probably quite difficult, and I would recommend to use an easier one to get into the game.

However, as for tips - if you're in campaign mode you should have some heavy hitting tankks and SPAT at this point in the game, like Tiger, Panther, Jagdpanther, probably incl. overstrength. Tiger II and Elefant are also very usefull here, just make sure you do not get overwhelmend by enemy numbers, and put back those units for resupply if needed.

In my game the allied advance towards Paris could be stopped with just a few units, but the avance southwards was quite serious. Form a defense line somewhat south from the coast to stay outside their naval artillery. Isolated attacks elsewhere should be dealt with by fast units that can cover a lot of terrain easily (Panther, Jagdpanther).

Have artillery as backup units, possibly air defense too. I kept inf back in cities or in close defense terrain and used it mostly against weakened enmy units (many of them advance in transports)

Try to take out their air force first, IIRC I had four experienced fighters upgrade to FW190D plus a number of tac bombers upgraded to FW190F/G or Me-410 to take out weakened bombers.
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

I played the Overlord some times ago but already with 1.11 version. Short campaign, Rommel level. It was earlier also almost impossible to make a DV - not because I couldn't recapture all objectives but because of the Allied units stranded on the mainland.
Now it is fully impossible to win because the AI buy swarms of Canadian Inf (20-30 at least) wich you cannot simply destroy all because the Germans did not have the Atomic bomb... I made already thoughts to adjust the developers to update the vanilla maps also on 1.11 level because if somebody buy the game today and wants to play with the vanilla campaign than he/she will encounter such things - which should not happen...
And the scenario is anyway in this version too boring: after you destroyed the Allied airforce - which is quite hard but it can be made - and destroyed the first wave of Allied units nothing more stands in your way. A few units are stationed near to the Objectives but that's all. But when you are at the vicinity of the Cherburg region than the AI suddenly casts a half dozen Sherman 76's (apart of the Canadian Inf swarm) from one town. It's OK, but not very interesting... Now with the scripts a very good scenario could be made of this but surely it needs work.
dimitriszzz
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by dimitriszzz »

Overlord is great in multiplayer, giving a +2 or even +3 to the axis! :-)
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Overlord mission - Possible to win ? NO not really

Post by promytius1 »

Not "REALLY" because it is not a real scenario. I've played many, many games based on D-Day and this is the worst ever by far. Even in the scenario you do not experience D-Day. There's no beach defense, no weather rolls, no landing reproduction at all. You apparently cannot do a "real" amphibious assault in this game format. In the SSI D-Day board game, the board was 6 feet long, just lining up the amphibs took forever, there was rial interdiction, etc., etc., etc. This is just a dumb way to start the invasion. Dumb because it is stupid! Dumb because it is completely unrealistic and completely ignores the mechanics and considerations (and great excitement) of an amphibious assault. Do not misunderstand - I think this is the best wargame EVER, period. It just does not know how to handle amphibious assaults, or how to represent beach defense. It is completely stylized, symbolized and distorted. Otherwise, did I mention this is the best game ever?
In the Campaigns it is even worse. I had two units to defend Europe's shores with 2 infantry units. That is stupid and just plain insulting to my game sensibilities. 2 units. All of Europe. The Third Reich has two meager infantry units to defend Europe with... I'm sorry, but this one misnomer really bothers me every time I try to play through a campaign. I end up playing to either before or starting just after, because there is no game inbetween, IMHO. :D
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Nikivdd could surely make a really good, challenging, well scripted scenario about it. 8)
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

I have only ever played the official version of this game - I never considered the idea of MODs or user scenarios - color me stupid! Where does one find these things? thx.
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

viewforum.php?f=147 - mods overall
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=39055 - mod campaigns
My first signature is also one. :) (Second is not yet finished.)
promytius1 wrote:I have only ever played the official version of this game - I never considered the idea of MODs or user scenarios - color me stupid! Where does one find these things? thx.
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

So is that the way MODs are pretty much handled? Everyone does their own thing, there's no central download list or ratings or reviews; each mod is its own little game apart from all the others? I read through several of the threads, and got discouraged with all the 'development' talk, meaning the mods aren't really finished? Too complicated and scattered for me to follow; I'll stick to the official game for now and just avoid Overlord. :)
Thanks for the links and the interest. Best of luck developing your mods!
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

Well, you can try GTPG v1.10. It's a finished MOD with 70 scenarios. And quite good.
I'm sure there are other good, finished, MODs, but this is the one I've been playing recently.

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=29747
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

Thanks for that; I will take a look!
babis2900

Re: Overlord mission - Possible to win ? yes!

Post by babis2900 »

After realising that I cannot win in the air, I reached a decisive victory by doing the following: I placed 6-7 Tiger Panzers II and 2 artillery units with 4 anti-aircraft units in the left side. 3 infantry, one artillery and 1 anti-aircraft unit in Paris. 1 infantry, one artillery and 1 anti-aircraft unit in each of the two bottom capitals. Plus a Tiger II for support in the south. I just waited for invading units to attack these 4 cities and conservatively counter attacked after round 11. :mrgreen:

Return to “Panzer Corps”