Extra Content for Panzer Corps Announced!

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Molve wrote:
iainmcneil wrote:Yes we will need a patch to add the ability to play DLC to the game.
If that was a reply to El Condoro, I think his question was more

"will the DLCs be accompanied by general upgrades"

and not so much

"how will the DLCs be supported by the program?"
From my understanding, yes the DLCs, at least the first one, will be accompanied with updates. For example, tt's possible that the devs will have to create new units in some of the campaigns. These units will be available for everyone through updates.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VPaulus wrote:
Molve wrote:
iainmcneil wrote:Yes we will need a patch to add the ability to play DLC to the game.
If that was a reply to El Condoro, I think his question was more

and not so much

From my understanding, yes the DLCs, at least the first one, will be accompanied with updates. For example, tt's possible that the devs will have to create new units in some of the campaigns. These units will be available for everyone through updates.
I personally do want to – but if someone doesn’t want to get the DLC; then how will the “update” part be available for everyone? Will that part of it be offered through a patch on its own?
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Xerkis wrote:
VPaulus wrote:
Molve wrote: If that was a reply to El Condoro, I think his question was more

and not so much

I personally do want to – but if someone doesn’t want to get the DLC; then how will the “update” part be available for everyone? Will that part of it be offered through a patch on its own?
Lots of quotes within quotes...

Iain's answer is what I was getting at with my question. To me the word 'needs' implies the DLC will not function without a patch. The patch is free, so everyone can have that - they will choose whether or not to spend the $4.99 for each campaign on top of that.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

So many ideas, so many options to work with. In the end, it isn't my property of course :)

I personally think Steam could work. I've had the evidence dumped in my lap. It's never easy to argue a losing viewpoint in the face of proof.

DLC also clearly works. I've also seen it crammed in my face as well as proof the idea works.

But in a crowd of say 10000 clients, the idea all 10k clients will like something is just plain crazy of course.

Soooo if Slitherine makes as much money as Slitherine desires, in the end, as long as THEY made the level of success THEY desired.

Some things though just have no numbers to work with, and a lot of us spout off opinions pretending to be facts.

I personally couldn't care less how many of the wargaming world are self evident cheap skates. I'm not one of them. Which is not to say I am not capable of being a cheap skate elsewhere in gaming. Just not in wargaming. And no, it's not out of some undying love of the hobby, or some peculiar love of a company. Ian has gained my respect, he's profiting from it too. There ARE wargame makers that most assuredly don't have my respect.

I hear that Matrix Games never puts their prices down meaningfully. You should try HPS, they never reduce their prices ever at all. In fact, if you like that company's games, you should be buying them from NWS instead. Often a difference of 15 bucks on anything even new.
But it's not correct to say Matrix Games never has sales. And their sales are often fairly good too. For those die hard cheap skates, you can always wait till Christmas, they usually have some good deals. Just don't expect 50 dollar games for 10 bucks.

Not all of the industry makes transitory play only once titles.
A lot of the console games out there go for 50 bucks to 70 bucks new, and have no replay value and are likely only good for a month.
Most of my wargames from Matrix Games/Slitherine will still be as good as they were the day I bought them, endlessly replayable, and not really losing any original dollar value. So people just need to accept it, not all games lose value in a month. You either like the game and it's what it cost the day it was released, or move along and get over it.

But I am sure Steam could move more copies all the same, even for a lower price, but that's just the dynamics of volume.
I don't advocate spoiling the cheap in society though. Maybe people have just gotten cheap at heart.
I don't support Steam because it is a cheaper option, I support Steam because it's a more VISIBLE option.
It has nothing to do with re downloadability as much so either.

And I too have watched almost every name in quality wargaming disappear.
And not just computer wargaming. Wargaming in general has had a rough life since 1970. Not sure there was really ever a 'golden age' at all. Likely foolish rose coloured glasses.
Avalon Hill is gone. So is SPI. Can't think of any meaningful names actually that made it out of the 80s.
ASL has been on a sort of life support since the 90s. More like the living dead as a game.

So I welcome DLC. I welcome anything Slitherine can make work. But we all know, most games live for about 3 years regardless. Because by then all the hardware has evolved, all the OS programs change. I can barely play a lot of my classic game, not because they stopped beuing great, but because we stopped being able to run them in the conditions they were sold in.
I figure Panzer Corps will have run it's duration as a product in 2 years maybe more. So I can just hope we get as much DLC as we can, as soon as possible, before the usual process catches up to it.

I'm already dropping hints for Slitherine to recreate Panzer leader now :)
terrymulijana
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by terrymulijana »

DSWargamer wrote: ...
I figure Panzer Corps will have run it's duration as a product in 2 years maybe more. So I can just hope we get as much DLC as we can, as soon as possible, before the usual process catches up to it.

I'm already dropping hints for Slitherine to recreate Panzer leader now :)
I agree with you, many wargaming company lost, perhaps it's because the true wargame is out there ( some place have real war everyday ). IMHO we should donate every purchase of wargaming industry to war casualties, they're the true inspiration after all. War never ends. War gaming prevents all of us to do the war ourself :).

My idea for next Panzer Leader :) or PzC 2 is : Put more party on the games ! Means that if several different squad involved in 1 scenario can make an interesting different games :) and yet it's multiplayer ( can be MMO Strategy too ). Means a lot of profit ?
axlroselm
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by axlroselm »

thanks guys! i buy this two DLC at day one! :D is it possible to add an double pack option for 10$?
Timless Rules, rigidly Imposed, will always end in blood.

Sir Isaiah Berlin
Ranta
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Ranta »

I just wanted to avise to dropt that information to gaming sides too.

I , for instance, read of Panzer Corps at www.4players.de and bought it straight away from release. Dropping a hint about the patch, the dlc (and maybe even the very well produced modding tools) would attain interest and show, that this game is further sustained by the devs. Often this information is not found by these sides themselves, so that much information (and publicity) is lost.

Best Regards

Ranta

edit: ah... I just saw, the patch-information made it up to there, nevertheless, information about mod (modkits) and the dlc would be shurely welcome there too :)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We have not started working on any ports for Panzer Corps yet and so have no timelines for those. It will not be before Christmas, that is all I can say for now!
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Molve wrote:Are you sure? After all, any plans for a native OS X application is just talk at this point. It might even never happen *shrug*.
I've no privileged information regarding this. However, I feel that Panzer Corps, is a great game to be ported for MAC and its derivatives. It would be a lost opportunity if not.
There are no promises regarding this matter, but I'd say that there's a strong possibility that the port will be done in the future. There's a clear intent to do it.
But I too wouldn't be able to wait for it. I'd buy a PC just to be able to play Panzer Corps... now.
jaggy
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by jaggy »

I'm sold on the DLCs'. I had always considered Panzer General as too "beer & pretzel" a game for myself. I should remember never to knock something till I've tried it. I took a risk on Panzer Corps and its turned out to be an excellent choice. Single-player campaigns, single-player scenarios, hotseat, multi-player, there's something for everybody. I especially like the gameplay, the progression of units, the unit types to the point where I'm taking screenshots of the entire scenario maps, marking out objectives in white circles, airfields in yellow rectangles, drawing out the rivers in clear blue, crossing points in orange, red lines to denote the individual task force movement.

I would like to make a suggestion and this is not meant to be a criticism. Rivers should be highlighted more prominently in colour (bright blue, for instance) so that the gamer is able to plan his river crossings. As it is now, the river has a very faded look and blends in too much with the background colour. Maybe objectives can be coloured very prominently also, especially airfields as they are very hard to discern from the Strategic Screen. What has especially won me over to Panzer Corps is also the non-invasive copy-protection. No heavy-handed DRM, limited E-licence installs, etc. Sorry for going off-topic.

Some1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Some1 »

jaggy wrote:I'm taking screenshots of the entire scenario maps, marking out objectives in white circles, airfields in yellow rectangles, drawing out the rivers in clear blue, crossing points in orange, red lines to denote the individual task force movement.

I would like to make a suggestion and this is not meant to be a criticism. Rivers should be highlighted more prominently in colour (bright blue, for instance) so that the gamer is able to plan his river crossings. As it is now, the river has a very faded look and blends in too much with the background colour. Maybe objectives can be coloured very prominently also, especially airfields as they are very hard to discern from the Strategic Screen.
I have posted a replay here: viewtopic.php?p=264769#264769
jaggy wrote:What has especially won me over to Panzer Corps is also the non-invasive copy-protection. No heavy-handed DRM, limited E-licence installs, etc. Sorry for going off-topic.
I agree. I hate games with intrusive copy-protection, where you can trash the game just because the copy-protection driver won't work anymore because of an ServicePack or an new OS (e.g. Win7 64bit). And i simply won't buy games that require online registration/activation, e.g. using Steam. I want to be able to play a game regardless if its already five years old, or if the producing company doesn't exist aynmore.

So i really like the way it is handled with PanzerCorps. And the personalized CD is a sort of copy protection.
Some1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Some1 »

@macattack, Molve, PC Moderator:
Would it be possible/ok to move the Star-General related post into an dedicated thread, e.g. Molve's 'People's General, Space General etc'?
Just to keep the related information together and easier to access. Thanks.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

good idea - the posts related to Star General have been split out into their own thread.
Adean
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Adean »

It is great that you upgrade this game:) I hope that next upgrade will give us fight in Afrika
Casaubon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Casaubon »

"This product is not available yet" says the shop page. Any timeframe information about the release date for the DLCs?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Casaubon wrote:"This product is not available yet" says the shop page. Any timeframe information about the release date for the DLCs?
Hi, welcome.
If everything runs according to the plan, 27/10/2011 is the date.
It's in beta testing. It seem to be running well.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Adean wrote:It is great that you upgrade this game:) I hope that next upgrade will give us fight in Afrika
The DLCs are set in Europe. In the meantime, have you checked out HBalck's AK mod and the DMP Team's AK mod on the Scenario Design page?
TJLionheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by TJLionheart »

How is this progressing? Still looking at 39 and 40 for next week? If I understand this right, it is only 39 and 40, and if we play it at this time, we go through all these extra scenarios and then for 41 we are back on the regular PC campaign track? When are we looking at 41, 42, 43, 44, and 45?
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

If everything runs according to the schedule, 39 and 40 will be release next week.
Beta is progressing well.
For the other campaigns of the Grand Campaign, 41 to 45, it's too early to get a release date.
These campaigns will not be linked with Panzer Corps 39-45 main campaign. So after 40 you'll have to wait for 41, in case you want to continue playing after it. Please note, that you don't have to play the 39 campaign in order to play the 40 campaign. You can play them as solo campaigns.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We think we may be a few days behind. At the last minute we decided to add some extra graphics that thebetas have not seen. This means we wont be able to master till next week and puts the release date back till the 31st. Sorry for the delay but we think you'll appreciate it when you see it.

Return to “Panzer Corps”