any tricks for gaining fifth star with AA?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

any tricks for gaining fifth star with AA?

Post by hugh2711 »

I have a 4 star (heroed - M+1 A+3) which has stopped gaining experience after about 410, it has a kill total of 1189. I know it is a very complcated formula for gaining experience (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=72079) but does anyone know a way of persuading/tricks to continue to gain experience?. It takes 11 ponts out of a La5 in gc45east but does not increment experience. Likewise I have a 4 star SdKfz 7/1 at 543 kills and 415 experience (and R+1) which similarly takes a great chunk out of modern fighters but is also reluctant. How can I push it further, any tricks? Thanks for info.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: any tricks for gaining fifth star with AA?

Post by goose_2 »

hugh2711 wrote:I have a 4 star (heroed - M+1 A+3) which has stopped gaining experience after about 410, it has a kill total of 1189. I know it is a very complcated formula for gaining experience (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=72079) but does anyone know a way of persuading/tricks to continue to gain experience?. It takes 11 ponts out of a La5 in gc45east but does not increment experience. Likewise I have a 4 star SdKfz 7/1 at 543 kills and 415 experience (and R+1) which similarly takes a great chunk out of modern fighters but is also reluctant. How can I push it further, any tricks? Thanks for info.
You must be playing on Field Marshall level. ;)

Yes, the easier way of gaining experience is to use it in AT mode, so make sure it is an 88 and use your artillery to best suppress the tank and than hit with your 88 in AT mode.

Hope this helps.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

Yeah this is going to be a grind. Don't think I've ever had a five star AA unit. My first suggestion is to start as early as possible. You'll need every opportunity for your AA unit to fire. You may want to try to "farm" the enemy air units. If there's a 1 or 2 strength fighter or bomber out there, don't finish it off. Instead, allow it to retreat. In most cases, the unit will get green replacements & will as a result be significantly weaker. When it eventually returns you'll have more opportunities to fire. Obviously, this sort of strategy has its risks. It can also be a distraction from whatever your real objectives might be.

Careful placement & bomber traps can help. You can do this by placing a tempting target like an artillery or recon unit just within spotting range of the enemy. Park your AA unit next to that unit but also just out of spotting range. The AI will often attack your weak unit giving you a free shot.

Using your 88's in the ground AT mode as Goose has suggested is a good idea as well. Again, more opportunities to fire. But then, one of the draw backs is that you're likely to take losses - which means you'll have to use expensive elite replacements. You'll also be stuck in the AT mode unit the end of the AI's next turn.

Good luck & let us know if you ever succeed.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Unless I have misunderstood the formula, you should get a minimum 1 experience point per combat. However, I have noticed occasions when playing on general difficulty that I sometimes didn't even get 1 exp (this was when I was watching to see what I needed to do to get experience when at 4*). Am I right or just feeling hard done by?

Having got that out of the way, if you don't want to use (or don't have an option for) an AT switch, the best way to get kills is start early, and do as much defensive fire as you can get. The defensive fire gives -5 GD (low level attack penalty) for tac bombers and fighter, so you will kill more when defending than attacking. Also, you can provide defensive fire every attack, so sometimes can get a lot of kills in a single turn. This should more than compensate for the lower air attack of mobile AA vs a towed 88. The emphasis on defence also tends to favour use of mobile AA, since you can keep up with forward units, which are more readily spotted and more often attacked.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

No you are right; i am very rarely getting any single increment at all on iether unit even for complete one shot kills of an enemy at 10 strength. There does not seem to be a pattern of the very rare times it goes up by one. As goose_2 said in AT mode that does seem to get more increase but at a big cost - nearly lost it!. I am half way through gc45east at the moment but so far there doesnt seem to have been many opportunities for defensive fire, the enemy air attacks are a bit random.
IttoOgami
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by IttoOgami »

hugh2711 wrote:I have a 4 star (heroed - M+1 A+3) which has stopped gaining experience after about 410, it has a kill total of 1189. I know it is a very complcated formula for gaining experience (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=72079) but does anyone know a way of persuading/tricks to continue to gain experience?. It takes 11 ponts out of a La5 in gc45east but does not increment experience. Likewise I have a 4 star SdKfz 7/1 at 543 kills and 415 experience (and R+1) which similarly takes a great chunk out of modern fighters but is also reluctant. How can I push it further, any tricks? Thanks for info.
I am currently trying to get my last 20 % steam achievements with Panzer Corps and AA is a bummer. Now playing the Grand Campaing and finishing GC 45 east for the first time, I think you can get the 5 stars easier with mobile AA. Unfortunately I played until there mostly with 8.8/12.8. The mobile ones just will get more hits often. They also are attacked more often, gaining points in defensive combat (if they can survive).
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

Well i finished berlin redux on turn 7 (surprisingly esy after previous berlin) and my 88mm was on exp 428 at 1421 kills and my mobile AA was at 438 with 689 kills. dissapointed i didnt get that 5th star and third hero.

Return to “Panzer Corps”