One command reserved for Hannibal - why?

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

One command reserved for Hannibal - why?

Post by gollummen »

Dont get me wrong - I love this brave and beautiful game, but the rule about one command reserved for Hannibal is getting on my nerves.

What is the point?
Why should a command be wasted when Hannibal is busy with a siege?
Please, remove this strange and frustrating rule in the next update.
mercenarius
Victory and Glory
Victory and Glory

Post by mercenarius »

The reason is that Hannibal generates his own extra Command Phase each turn by virtue of his initiative. So, really, you are getting a certain number of assignable Commands plus an extra one for Hannibal. And therefore one must be reserved for Hannibal since - in a sense - he creates the resources for it.

I can see that the rule as stated in the game seems arbitrary to you and possibly other players. So I will give some thought to changing the rule or explaining it better in the course of the game.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

ok. it makes a lot more senes when you put it that way :)

The problem is that I often forget that I cant use the last command if I havent used Hannibal in a turn.

How about changing it so you reduce the commands by one, but say that Hannibal activates for free?
mercenarius
Victory and Glory
Victory and Glory

Post by mercenarius »

How about changing it so you reduce the commands by one, but say that Hannibal activates for free?
That's not a bad suggestion, but I am concerned that it might confuse some players. I am leaning towards the elimination of the rule as the simplest solution. I'll have to think about this a bit. I don't think that any crucial aspect of game play is at stake. But I'll want to mull it over a little while.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
mercenarius
Victory and Glory
Victory and Glory

Post by mercenarius »

It's a little long in coming, but you got your feature request. :D

This is included in the new 1.0.4 update for "Hannibal." There is a public beta now available:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2883194
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

I changed the game!

Cool 8)

Thanks alot for your interest in your customers opinions.

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage”