Damn you Slitherine! :)

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War is a new and innovative turn-based strategy game that puts you in command of the Carthaginian military during a period of total war over land and sea with the young Roman Republic.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn you Slitherine! :)

Post by Surtur »

With pain in my entire body I resisted to buy BBC BA...
And now you are doing me this!!! I read the AAR on Wargamer and the game seems briliant!
But damn you, I am unemployed and started my history study latlely so I don't really have the money or time....

*Must resist buying.....*
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

Unfortunately, this one shouldn't be too hard to resist for me. No MP, no game editor, one side playable. It can't be compared to BA and FoG, both of which I dearly love. You can also add $10 U.S. and get Civ V.

I want to support Slitherine, but my income is not that disposable. For $30, maybe. With an editor, probably. But I need a better hook.

Edit-- Okay, I'll read the AAR
massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by massina_nz »

Okay, so I have the original board-game in the cupboard and play it once every 3-4 years. So it's very hard to resist for me.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It is a very different prospect to Battlefield Academy and Field of Glory. We try to provide a variety of game styles to suit all wargamers and don't expect everyone to want all of them. No problem with that! :)

It is an unusually addictive game and definitely a challenge.
massina_nz

Post by massina_nz »

Okay so I purchased it. After playing about 3 hours at the basic level, the AI is definitely challenging. I doesn't seem to do anything stupid.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I hope you folks have good success with Hannibal. I just can't pull the trigger on it.

And thanks massina_nz for your observations.
massina_nz

Post by massina_nz »

Rosseau wrote:I hope you folks have good success with Hannibal. I just can't pull the trigger on it.

And thanks massina_nz for your observations.
Yes it's definitely an acquired taste. But I liked the original board game, which also got very good reviews by the wargamer magazine about 25 years ago.
grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by grumblefish »

Any reviews? I am snowed under for the next fortnight at work, but after that I'll be in a good position to get some gaming done. That means a few rounds of FoG, perhaps some Dominions 3, and a third title...

So, how are people like Hannibal? Detailed thoughts on it?
Surtur
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Surtur »

Best information available is at the wargamer site. Where there is a detailed AAR and some notes from the DEV.

http://wargamer.com/article/2936/hannib ... rthage-aar
http://wargamer.com/article/2938/hannib ... aar-finale

http://wargamer.com/article/2940/hannib ... er's-notes

As it seems this game has got a unique feel to it.
Avalon
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

it´s Great, really a good game

Post by Avalon »

The next of course is my own opinnion, and do not pretend to do it extensive as the same experience to everybody, but i don´t use to write in the forums, except a game takes my attention to a level that keep me playing it during all night.
(Please excuse my lack writting in english)

Probably the best wargame i´ve played in pc, it´s inmersive, deep and rich in history (i mean you finally end thinking as hannibal while doing things that only hannibal did in the reality). Why i think so?... easy, for many reasons:
1.- The AI is superb, there is no way for mistakes, but give you chance enought to try a lot of differents tactic and how not, valiant warplans that you need to keep in secret till last moment because the AI seem´s to be reading your mind eactting to all your moves and sometime going a step in front of you, for example, during a game, for many turns my main army with hannibal at command, exhausted and lack in effectives, after many battles and no ways to reinforce it from sea as roman navy was keepeing all searoutes and my own navy was only the rest of what it was, just only a few transports to continue sendding, slowly reinforces to Hispania, as i said hannibal army was runnig from place to place in the south of Italy trying to survive, finally i could send a second army to the cisalpine gaul, but entry to Italy was soon guard by an impressive roman army, as romans rejoined some minor armies that where following hannibal and moved it to the north to face the new challenge , that gave Hannibal the opportunity to move noth, ussing extended marchs just at time to join the fresh spanish replacement army and give to me my own cannae in the cisalpine gaul, but one mistake, an step did too fast or too slow and romans surely should have their own Metaurus there.
2.- Surely graphics aren´t the best thing i´ve seem in a pc game, but are more than rights for this game, it smell as an old tabletop wargame, from the map to the last detail, you finaly think that are moving the armies with your own hand and not by pressing a mouse bottom, can´t explain better the lovely experience.
3.- Maybe the definitly thing that make me think this game is the best wargame i´ve played in a pc, is that it is fresh and new concept in pc games, It is a 2d graphics and a turn system based game, true, but it is more than that, it is the first game to me that let me feel like if i were openning a box, extendding the map over a table, preparing the counters and the 6D and sitting in front of an human opponent (so good i feel the AI is), and at the same time, let me feel in the middle of an ancient world and war because the game system keep all aspects of the game working so soft that let you concentrate in the only important thing, win the war....
the game has a 10 for me
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks Avalon. The upcoming demo will be key to bringing a lot of us in. It sounds great.
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

Rosseau wrote:Thanks Avalon. The upcoming demo will be key to bringing a lot of us in. It sounds great.
Ah, this is great news, a demo. I will definitely download it and give it a shot, and if I like it I can't imagine I'll be able to resist adding another ancients game to my selection. :D
romainpek
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by romainpek »

The little demo that was available on the game designer's website was brilliant. Immensely frustrating as well because you could only play the few first turns...
shawnt63
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by shawnt63 »

Indeed it is frustrating - I have run through the demo about half dozen times after downloading yesterday afternoon - argh, didn't really want to get it but now am very tempted!
romainpek
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by romainpek »

I downloaded the real game... my first trial was a crushing defeat at the second turn on easy level. Lesson 1: don't leave Hannibal resting in a city.
Igorputski
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Igorputski »

Not enough replayability for me for the price. Challenging ai or not there's just not enough game there. Once you've been bitten by the hook of random generated maps and random battles it's very hard to go back to these one battle map games. How many went back and played Avalon Hill's Gettysburg after sinking your teeth into Terrible Swift Sword by SPI?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Random maps by nature have very little character but some people don't mind that. The strength of this game is the events and flavour are so good you really feel like you're in the period. Everyone likes different stuff and you onlyhave to look at the player review here and at Matrix to see there are a good number of people who think this is one of the best games they've ever played :)

Return to “Hannibal: Rome and Carthage”