Please Help NOOB needs advice

Forum for the organisation of official and user tournaments or leagues.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

TheBlueWaffle
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Please Help NOOB needs advice

Post by TheBlueWaffle »

Hi all I am completely new to this game and let me say I love it the best strategy game I have played

But I am in desperate need of help I really wanna start playing some online games tournaments etc please someone invite me to a game
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please Help NOOB needs advice

Post by pipfromslitherine »

You can just accept any listed challenge (other than password protected ones). If there are no open challenges - which can happen, as they get snapped up fast! - just create your own and you usually find an opponent very quickly. You can use the ingame chat to ask questions or get tips - most players are happy to help out newcomers :).

Cheers

Pip
TheBlueWaffle

Post by TheBlueWaffle »

Is this the same for the iPad version I am sorry if this is a stupid question
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

All the versions work in the same way - so you could end up playing someone on the PC, a Mac, or another iPad. It's all identical :). The system is designed to make it super easy to get a game, no forum courting required ;).

Cheers

Pip
leci
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by leci »

Hi - look at the Directory of Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
My directory of Battle Academy Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
cupoftea
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by cupoftea »

Login to the multiplayer and you'll start on my turn. tap any games to start them
Let them hate me, as long as they fear me. Caligula
protectivedaddy
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by protectivedaddy »

Click on multiplayer , then last tab on right at top of screen - accept challenges, all the ones in green you can accept, if they are green but writing is greyed out then you need to go on forum and download that scenario before you can play on it, also sometimes you may have a different version of a scenario this again will stop you from accepting that game.

Best thing to do is, go through forum and download as many scenarios as you can, that go on multiplayer, then second tab - my challenges, then at bottom of screen is the new challenge button, click this and then select which map you want to play multiplayer on - pick some as both nazis and allies, don't password them and they will be picked up quickly.

Again as has been said when in game everyone will help. Enjoy and see you in battle.
TrentDep
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by TrentDep »

protectivedaddy wrote: Best thing to do is, go through forum and download as many scenarios as you can...
Hey everyone - Is there an easy way to do what pdaddy suggests? On the MP Accept Challenge screen I'm frequently seeing ~ Unknown Scenario ~ and although I can hover over those messages and see what user content scenarios I need, figuring out where they are has escaped me so far...
Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun »

TrentDep wrote:
protectivedaddy wrote: Best thing to do is, go through forum and download as many scenarios as you can...
Hey everyone - Is there an easy way to do what pdaddy suggests? On the MP Accept Challenge screen I'm frequently seeing ~ Unknown Scenario ~ and although I can hover over those messages and see what user content scenarios I need, figuring out where they are has escaped me so far...

Leci used to keep a running stickie of MP scenarios, but they haven't been updated in a while. The Scenario development and Tourney forums are a good place to look. Some scenarios which are in threads (like the RTT'42 or GJS'44 threads) are specifically for battle resolution for those Campaigns, and many of them are very unbalanced (and hence, not very good for MP play), but some are.

Nav
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.
morge4
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by morge4 »

TrentDep wrote:
What are some of the ones you are looking for wen you hover over them? I have a majority of the user created scenarios saved and may be able to get some to you if I have them.
TrentDep

Post by TrentDep »

Hey Morge - thanks for the reply / offer. These of course vary as non password protected challenges are accepted and others posted. Honestly, I have played so few maps at this point that I really need to focus on the basic scenarios - my interest was piqued as the majority of basic content map challenges are snatched up so quickly, and I think I was inquiring mostly for near future purposes, as in bookmarking the - non existent - location where all of these files could be found !

Nav : You mentioned some scenarios being unbalanced - for tourny purposes it's not a big deal since ( I'm assuming ) the "balancing" is in playing both sides of any given scenario. With that said, is there any list which suggests the win/loss average of any of the MP scenarios? And a related thought : is there any list of the units one might expect to start any given scenario with, or are these just a matter of having played them enough to get a feel for what to expect?

And finally - is there any general ~ etiquette ~ in MP games ? Is there a certain amount of time one might expect an opponent to take their turn in, or a general sense of " let's get two turns a day in " ?... At the conclusion of the game, would one expect to be offered the opportunity to play the other side of the scenario ?... That sort of thing.

Thanks again everyone.

~ T
TrentDep

Post by TrentDep »

( An Opel Blitz - really? Seem to remember cruising an Opel station wagon around the Monterey Peninsula ( California ) back when a place called Fort Ord still existed - it was appropriate back then 'cause I had no rank, a family to support, and was always broke, but... Seriously? Can I not get an M2 Half track or something? )
morge4

Post by morge4 »

leci wrote:Hi - look at the Directory of Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
This is the best place to get user created scenarios...you can use it as your 'bookmark' :)
Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun »

Hi,
TrentDep wrote:Nav : You mentioned some scenarios being unbalanced - for tourny purposes it's not a big deal since ( I'm assuming ) the "balancing" is in playing both sides of any given scenario. With that said, is there any list which suggests the win/loss average of any of the MP scenarios? And a related thought : is there any list of the units one might expect to start any given scenario with, or are these just a matter of having played them enough to get a feel for what to expect?
Well, what I meant is that in some Threads that have User created MP Battles (the RTT'42 Campaign Calendar Day Threads, for instance), those battles are not built for balanced MP play. They are tactical resolutions of combats determined by player decisions on a Theater Map. So as a result they are frequently unbalanced (as say an Axis attempt to attack a lone Allied Battalion with a 3 Battalion Kampfgruppe on a Theater Map doesn't exactly result in a "fun and balanced" MP battle, unless you are invlved in the Campaign and care about things like minimalizing losses for your side, tying the enemey down, etc...). Most *Tournament* designed matches are balanced.
TrentDep wrote:And finally - is there any general ~ etiquette ~ in MP games ? Is there a certain amount of time one might expect an opponent to take their turn in, or a general sense of " let's get two turns a day in " ?... At the conclusion of the game, would one expect to be offered the opportunity to play the other side of the scenario ?... That sort of thing.
This varies greatly. In my opinion, and this is purely my opinion, in general, a "Considerate" opponent plays a turn a day, and notifies you via PM or the in-game chat engine if there will be any serious delays to your match. Regarding playing the other side, or starting a "mirror" match, or things of that nature, that is best sorted out early in the match via the in game chat engine.

Nav
I think the best way to describe our operations to date is that they have violated every recognized principle of war.
General Eisenhower, Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force, on the Tunisian Campaign, 27 DEC 1942.
TrentDep

Post by TrentDep »

Thanks again for the input Nav.

Re mirror games... I get the mechanics, but doesn't strike me as ... well, fun? Is the general idea just to gain familiarity with the scenario or am I missing something?
TrentDep

Post by TrentDep »

morge4 wrote:
leci wrote:Hi - look at the Directory of Playable Mods & Scenarios at viewtopic.php?f=87&t=43167

Gilles
This is the best place to get user created scenarios...you can use it as your 'bookmark' :)

Pretty sure I had rifled through that thread previous to posting here - looked at several downloads but they were dead links. ( ? )
Navaronegun
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by Navaronegun »

TrentDep wrote:Thanks again for the input Nav.

Re mirror games... I get the mechanics, but doesn't strike me as ... well, fun? Is the general idea just to gain familiarity with the scenario or am I missing something?
Mirror is old school Blitz, HPS, SP, etc., slang for playing the same match against the same player from different sides. It can be fun. A good way of testing tactical proficiency, given that any battle is never truly perfectly balanced.

Nav
morge4

Post by morge4 »

TrentDep wrote:
morge4 wrote:

Gilles

Pretty sure I had rifled through that thread previous to posting here - looked at several downloads but they were dead links. ( ? )
Ok, if you find some like that and you would like to try them, let me know and I will see if I have them.
TrentDep

Post by TrentDep »

Would love to look at ERommel's Bridges scenario if anyone can point me in the right direction - Thanks !
morge4

Post by morge4 »

TrentDep wrote:Would love to look at ERommel's Bridges scenario if anyone can point me in the right direction - Thanks !
Don't have that one but, check this thread viewforum.php?f=105 or PM erommel and see if he can point you in the right direction.

Return to “Battle Academy : Tournaments & Leagues”