"A Duplicate Bridge Too Far" Tournament

Forum for the organisation of official and user tournaments or leagues.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, BA Moderators

SailingGuy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

"A Duplicate Bridge Too Far" Tournament

Post by SailingGuy »

More thoughts on the "A Duplicate Bridge Too Far" :wink: tournament...
This idea inspired by Duplicate Bridge formats and tournaments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplicate_bridge

Bullet points:
- Two flights (one Axis, one Allied)
- Depending on the number of entries, round robin format so that each Axis player competes against each Allied player
(If there is a large number of entrants and the round robin format is just not feasible, seed subsequent rounds after the first so that the top Axis player is up against the top Allied player, next highest Axis against next highest Allied, and so on. Seeding would need to be modified so that no one played someone in the opposite flight more than once.)
- Rank within your flight based on total points scored by each flight member
(Axis and Allied flight scores are kept separately. You are competing against both your enemy opponent in each scenario, and against your other flight members for the overall ranking within your flight.)
- Each round would be a different scenario with a different pairing (Only scenarios with time limits would be used, in order to shorten the time of the tournament and avoid "point" problems if one side is entirely wiped out)
- Score 30 points for winning the scenario
- Score 10 points for each flag held at the end of the scenario
- Score 2 points for each enemy unit (of any type) killed
- Deduct 3 points for each of your own units (of any type) killed
(Minimum number of points you can score per round is zero. No negative point rounds.)

After the round robin portion is completed, the top Axis and top Allied player will compete in a head-to-head, three scenario match up for the overall championship. The Allied player will choose one scenario (from a list approved by the tournament moderators), the Axis player will choose one scenario (from the approved list), and one scenario will be chosen in advance by the tournament moderators.

For example:
Axis flight is made up of Allen, Bob, and Carl.
Allied flight is made up of Edward, Frank, and Gary.
Each player would compete in three different scenarios.

After three rounds:
Allen scores: 52 + 49 + 75 = 176
Bob scores: 35 + 50 + 72 = 157
Carl scores: 55 + 60 + 12 = 127
Axis total = 460

Edward scores: 32 + 15 + 61 = 108
Frank scores: 45 + 22 + 54 = 121
Gary scores: 10 + 32 + 39 = 81
Allied total = 310

Allen wins the Axis flight and Frank wins the Allied flight.
They will meet in a three game play off for the championship.

For Tournament #1 (beginning November 1, 2010)
- Round 1-2 : Desert Fort and Desert Encounter
- Round 3-4 : Bocage Village and Along the Road
- Round 5-6 : Winter Village and Close Combat
- FINAL ROUND : Race for the town + 2 scenarios, one picked by each player (can repeat already used in previous rounds)

NO SURRENDERS ARE ALLOWED as this skews the scoring system. Please play out each scenario until the bitter end.

If a player does not take a turn for one week, without contacting either tournament director, it will be assumed that he has dropped out of that game and the rest of the tournament.

If a player drops out during a game, his opponent in that game will score a number of points equal to the average number of points (rounded up) scored by all members of his flight for that round. However, if the remaining player can demonstrate that he has already scored more points (when his opponent of dropped out) than he would have received using the Averaging Method, he scores the higher number of points.

If "bye" rounds are created due to player drop outs, the tournament directors will endeavor to restructure the rounds, or find a replacement, so that each player has an opponent in each remaining round. If a player does not have an opponent during a given round, he will score a number of points equal to the average number of points (rounded up) scored by all members of his flight for that round.
Last edited by SailingGuy on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Acererak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Acererak »

Good idea, keep the forums clean. Good boy.

I will repeat myself here to keep the discussion going :

- How to decide which map is played each round? Fixed or Random?

- I like the oeverall idea (specially the added depth of the strategy of competing against your own flight), but i am lacking a BIG FINALE...i mean, all the math sounds like there is gonna be a fair winner, but the emotion of a last match face to face for the glory is out. I propose a Final match between the winners of both Flights to the best of three games. One map has to be Race for the Town (i think balanced enough, and quite challenging) and the other two are picked one by each player.

- Need to develop some rules for quits, drop outs and such as you point out.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

Acererak wrote: - How to decide which map is played each round? Fixed or Random?

- I like the oeverall idea (specially the added depth of the strategy of competing against your own flight), but i am lacking a BIG FINALE...i mean, all the math sounds like there is gonna be a fair winner, but the emotion of a last match face to face for the glory is out. I propose a Final match between the winners of both Flights to the best of three games. One map has to be Race for the Town (i think balanced enough, and quite challenging) and the other two are picked one by each player.

- Need to develop some rules for quits, drop outs and such as you point out.
I would say Fixed Map for each round. To be determined in advance by the Tournament Director. The scenarios chosen would be announced when signups are requested.

Big Finale - Love it! (I'll probably end up editing the first post to include that.) Axis player will choose what he feels is a pro-Axis scenario, while the Allied player will select a pro-Allied one. So it may come down to the "Race for the Town". I would suggest that all three scenarios are played at the same time (in interest of completing the tournament quicker) and that "doing good" / "doing bad" in one scenario would create a mental challenge (or panic attack) in the others. The "Race for the Town" scenario would be excluded from the preliminary rounds, in order to be used in the "Big Finale".

Quits, drop outs, and byes - I was thinking the aggrieved player would receive a number of points equal to the average of those points scored by his flight for that round. We might also be able to find replacement players for "drop outs".

One other thing I thought of was a potential problem with surrendering early. Allowing early "concessions" might get a little "gamey". A player might surrender early, in a scenario that he considers unfavorable, in order to conserve points for flags he currently holds. Essentially not giving his head-to-head opponent the chance to score those flags. I think a "surrender" should reduce your own score to zero for that round and give your opponent (in addition to the "win") points for every flag on the board, regardless of who holds them (plus the normal points scored or lost for units killed).

The only problem with this is that you would score more points if your opponent officially "surrendered" than you would score if your opponent just quit playing and disappeared from the tournament. That might be really egregious in the final round before the "Big Finale".
Acererak

Post by Acererak »

- We might find some issues with the maps depending on how many people playing, specially if there is more players than current usable maps available. Using the Beta ones could be an option (all have time limit and flags, and so far have not found great issues except in a couple)

- Glad you like the idea for Big Finale. I also like your additions and details.

- Average score for quits, drops, byes seems fair enough unless someone can think of a better solution

- Surrendering should be strictly forbidden and penalized as final scores might get corrupted (also happens in the other tournament). I think your solutions seem reasonable and workable as well.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

I have not played enough MP games to know which scenarios would be best. Any ideas for a list?
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

We are going to start this tournament on November 1st. Acererak and I will be the moderators.

The exact rules have not been determined, so your input is appreciated. We are currently trying to choose which scenarios will be used, as well as the scenario for the final confrontation between the top German and top Allied player. The number of rounds will be announced after player interest is determined.

Please post here if you are interested in participating. The deadline to sign up will be Friday, October 29th. That will give us time to set the match ups and game schedule before D-Day on November 1st.

Signed up so far:
Acererak (either side)
SailingGuy (either side)
PirateJock (no preference indicated)
CharlyG (no preference indicated)
Sleet (no preference indicated)
junk2drive (alternate)
thesharpend (Allied)
LOGAN5 (no preference indicated)
Arminius (no preference indicated)
hidde (no preference indicated)
Crestone (no preference indicated)
shawnt63 (no preference indicated)
Last edited by SailingGuy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 7 times in total.
PirateJock_Wargamer

Post by PirateJock_Wargamer »

Sign me up please :D
CharlyG
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by CharlyG »

I'm interested, sign me up please.
You've noted the deadline to sign up will be Friday, October 19th but there is no Friday, October 19th.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

CharlyG wrote:I'm interested, sign me up please.
You've noted the deadline to sign up will be Friday, October 19th but there is no Friday, October 19th.
Ooops. Fixed. Deadline in the 29th.
Sleet
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Sleet »

sounds like fun.

I'll play. Thanks for setting up.

Cheers,
Sleet :)
junk2drive
BA Moderator
BA Moderator

Post by junk2drive »

Put me down as an alternate, if you don't have enough to balance or if someone drops out.
thesharpend
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by thesharpend »

Count me in, Phil!

Many thanks,

Ed
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

thesharpend wrote:Count me in, Phil!

Many thanks,

Ed
I'm assuming you want to be Allied.
Fair winds,
Phil
SailingGuy

Scoring

Post by SailingGuy »

Unless there are strenuous objections, this is the scoring system we will use for the first "A Duplicate Bridge Too Far" Tournament.

(Minimum number of points you can score per round is zero. No negative point rounds.)
Sleet

Re: Scoring

Post by Sleet »

SailingGuy wrote:Unless there are strenuous objections, this is the scoring system we will use for the first "A Duplicate Bridge Too Far" Tournament.

Sounds good SailingGuy.
LOGAN5
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by LOGAN5 »

I want to be in this tournament.
Najanaja
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Najanaja »

Yep sign me up

Robert
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

Well, I would like to participate.
The thing is I will be out of town 11/2-11/12.
I have access to a pc but I'm not sure it meets the specs. And there is also the chance that I will mess up the install.
Anyway, I'm in if the above is no hinder :D
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

hidde wrote:Well, I would like to participate.
I have access to a pc but I'm not sure it meets the specs. And there is also the chance that I will mess up the install.
We're not going to be on a tight deadline, so I went ahead and added you to the list.
hidde

Post by hidde »

SailingGuy wrote:
hidde wrote:Well, I would like to participate.
We're not going to be on a tight deadline, so I went ahead and added you to the list.
Nice!
I'll take either side.

Return to “Battle Academy : Tournaments & Leagues”