Moderators: pantherboy, Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft

pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

LoEG Season 6 (Ended)

Post by pantherboy »

Season 6 of FOG’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Greetings Gentlemen,

Congrats to everyone for surviving another Season. I’ve been really enjoying my matches and the competition is getting fiercer and fiercer. Since the Group round prior to Season 1 I’ve been able to watch a number of players really improve at all levels of play.

Season 5 saw a number of changes to how the League operates. So far the changes appear to have been for the better and with the further modifications underway for Season 6 I hope we will be one step closer to the final model. My goal is to find a highly streamlined system that will minimize the attention required of the administrator.

This Season will see a shift to Leagues organized by period rather than expansion partly to cut down the number of Leagues to a more manageable size and create greater diversity in matchups. Also this Season will see the birth of the Super League which will take advantage of the League Rating system and be governed by a different set of rules.

Please take the time to reread the rules paying particular attention to how the Super League will be handled and regarding updating the online spreadsheet.

I hope everyone continues to enjoy their matches and I look forward to crossing swords with as many of you as possible.

" Aut viam inveniam aut faciam." I will either find a way, or make one. --- Latin proverb attributed to Hannibal

1. The Divisions

The league will now be made up of 7 distinct Leagues based on periods rather than expansion packs except for one. The Leagues are Biblical Pre 600 BC, Classical 600 BC – 26 BC, Imperial 25 BC – 495 AD, Dark Ages 496 AD – 1100 AD, Early Medieval 1100 AD – 1300 AD, Late Medieval 1300 AD – 1500 AD & The Super League. Each League maybe further subdivided into “A”, “B”, “C” Divisions etc. depending upon the number of players within said League. Up to 10 players will participate in each division with excess going into another group. If the lowest Division has less than 10 players than it will remain open for new entrants who do not have a league rating or are rated for the lowest division play. Depending upon league performance players will shift between divisions either going up or dropping. New players will start in the bottom divisions.

2. Joining & Selecting an Army for your Period League

For the period based leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.) each player is required to select a specific army list (e.g. Early Armenian – Tigran the Great) from the appropriate DAG (ROR, SOA, IF & SAS) and post it to the appropriate thread for their League (e.g. Season 6 Recruitment - Classical). In each group no two players are permitted to field an identical list though each variant may be fielded by a different player. For example one player may select Bosporan (early) while another takes Bosporan (mid) and finally a third player opts for Bosporan (late). Each season players are not allowed to reselect an army list they have chosen in a previous season until they have played 5 different lists with each list originating from a different nation. I wish to encourage variety within the league and broaden players play styles.

When posting your selection you are required to make a 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference. Players will be awarded their choice based upon their ranking. Lower ranked players will receive their 1st preference while the highest ranked players will often receive only their 2nd or 3rd choice and oft times be required to make a 4th selection.

For the period based leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.) each round you will field a 500pt army from your own list. You are free to customize the army before each battle.

3. Joining & Selecting an Army for the Super League

To be eligible to join the Super League you must first possess a League Rating. This will mean completing at least one season in at least one period based league (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.). Players will be drafted into their respective Divisions based upon this rating.

To enter you post a request to join within the “Season 6 Recruitment – Super League” thread only indicating your player ID and your League Rating. DO NOT POST YOUR ARMY SELECTION.

The next step is to select a specific army list (e.g. Early Armenian – Tigran the Great) from any DAG (ROR, SOA, IF, LT & SAS) and create a 500pt army. Players will be locked into what they select for their army for all their matches. There will be no customization before each battle like in the period leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.). Once you’ve built your army you will be required to email me at pantherboy@hotmail.com with your selection.

There will be no restrictions upon players regarding army selection and as such if two players nominate the same army and appear in the same Division then so be it. I’m hoping with such a diversity of lists available that this will be a rare occurrence. Also as far as not playing with a previously fielded army in the league this ruling does not apply to the Super League. If you really want to you can play the same list each season.

4. Participation in Leagues

This Season I’ll be enforcing some limitations upon participation. A player is free to join any number of Leagues as long as they have completed all their matches. Any player who has been able to complete 80% or more of their League games will be free to join 2 Leagues. Players who have been unable to complete the majority of their matches will be restricted to 1 League. New players to the League will also be limited to 2 Leagues though in later Seasons they will be able to participate in more once they have a proven track record.

5. Match Preferences – FOW & Double Moves

“Double Moves” and “FOW” will be mandatory for Season 6. This is mostly due to the fact that the vast majority of players use these options and by creating consistency eases game setup for players and administration of the league for me.

6. Scoring

Scoring for this season will be awarded for wins, losses and draws. A tally of battle groups broken and lost will be kept record of in the event of a tie breaker being required when determining overall ranking. Results for your Division can be found in the thread “LoEG Results & Tables”.

3 points - win
1 point - draw
0 points - loss

7. Match-Ups

Please go to the relevant thread for internal messages in your league. The first post will contain a list of players and their chosen armies for your match-ups. Either player is permitted to set-up their games as long as they select FOW & Double Moves. If the match has been incorrectly set-up then the player who did not set-up the game will have the choice to restart but only by Turn 2. A game that has reached Turn 3 will become fixed and must be played to conclusion.

8. Reporting Games

Reporting results will be incumbent on the player who won the battle. They will be required to log into the Slitherine Forum and post the result publically on the appropriate thread (e.g. Classical Battle Results). Results posted should be reported in the following format;

Division (A/B/C etc.)
Player ID (army) (BG lost / BG total) vs Player ID (army) (BG lost / BG total)

Example
Division A
pantherboy (Later Seleucid) (25/23) vs CharlesRobinson (Late Republican Roman) (14/23)

The next step is to update the online spreadsheets. I have posted links to online spreadsheets for each of the leagues within the “LoEG Results & Tables” thread under the post for Season 6. Each link will take you to a series of spreadsheets detailing each division table plus another sheet showing the ladder. What this means is that tables and ladders will always be up-to-date as long as results have been recorded.

At the end of each season I’ll delete all the battle results threads and then set them up anew. The LoEG Results & Tables thread will continue to record every Season’s data.

8.1 How do I enter the results onto the spreadsheet?

What you do is cross-reference the two players involved and then enter the same information as you post on the results thread. You enter lost BG's / total army BG's for each army under the appropriately headed column. Once this is done everything else is auto-calculated (e.g. points for match, total player points, kill ratio, ladder adjustments etc.). I have color-coded the tables for ease of search.

Please note one major difference. In Season 5 there were greyed boxes which players were asked to avoid entering results in. This Season I’ve altered the tables so that it won’t matter which field you enter your result in as it will automatically update its mirror. This means you can enter the result on your line or your opponents and the mirror will automatically update.

8.2 Reporting a draw.

Simply enter the current tallies for both players as usual and the table will automatically calculate the points. If both players have opted for a mutual draw then enter 0 for BG’s lost or whatever number it was at when the draw was agreed to.

8.3 I can't enter anything onto the ladder sheet.

This is intentional. I have locked those sheets as there is no need to enter anything on them. They self-calculate everything. All you need to do is look at them to see where you stand in that particular division.

8.4 Why don't you lock the cells which we shouldn't use on the table sheets?

Google docs doesn't have that capability and as such I must trust that nobody is malicious though you can only access the sheets through the link in the league. I hope google adds this function in the future but people have been requesting it for over a year so I don't have high hopes.

8.5 What do I do if I make an error?

You can use the undo function in the toolbar to go back if you make a mistake. Because it is online it can operate slowly so please be patient and do not repeatedly hit something as the table maybe trying to calculate and needs time to catch up. If all else fails just exit and PM me and I'll quickly fix it. I have a template of the tables and access to the Slitherine post for old results and will be able to amend any problems very quickly.

9. Absent Players & Neglected Turns

If you have the option to claim a game due to no activity from your opponent then please feel free to do so and report what the current casualties are if possible. Also don’t be too concerned about players who may have dropped or are unable to play. It is obvious who they are by looking at the results table and at the end of the Season I simply award the game to their opponents unless they didn’t complete any games in which case I’ll remove their name from the list.

10. Keeping Track of Games

It is advised that each player maintain a personal record of their completed matches. In this way you will know who you still have to play and have records of all the completed games in the advent of a mix up at my end. The easiest way to accomplish this is to copy and paste the first post in your league’s internal messages thread which details each player in your division and what army they will be fielding. Then record your results beside each player as per reporting games in Section 8 above.

11. Player Etiquette

So far players have conducted themselves with the utmost of sportsmanship. I don’t feel it is necessary to discuss how players conduct themselves but I do have one request. For ease of management if you wish to quit the League or won’t have time to finish your matches then please notify me. An explanation isn’t required. The purpose is to allow me to either delete you from the League (if games haven’t been played) or issue forfeits on your behalf rather than you sitting there as a ghost player with your opponents trying to contact you. You will always be welcome back though limited to 1 League as per section “4. Participation in Leagues”.

12. Season 6 Table Explanation

Last edited by pantherboy on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Excellent. You have kept the simplicity of the traditional LOEG format and you have added an intriguing new format for the Super League. :D
RussProv
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by RussProv »

Fantastic work again Panther. Much appreciated.
todd645
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Time absent

Post by todd645 »

I just signed up for two catagories, but before I proceed I wanted to ask a question. I will be out of the country for 2 weeks in August. I am very attentive otherwise, but if this will mess things up, please remove me from the list. I was possibly going to sign up for more, so if this will be a problem please let me know and I will refrain.

Thanks!

Todd
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Re: Time absent

Post by pantherboy »

todd645 wrote:I just signed up for two catagories, but before I proceed I wanted to ask a question. I will be out of the country for 2 weeks in August. I am very attentive otherwise, but if this will mess things up, please remove me from the list. I was possibly going to sign up for more, so if this will be a problem please let me know and I will refrain.

Thanks!

Todd
Hi Todd,

Thanks for signing up. You'll have to the end of October to finish your matches so time shouldn't be an issue. It isn't uncommon for players to take a hiatus for various reasons during a Season. Just be mindful that you'll need to complete 9 games for each league that you join.

Cheers,

Steve
dazzam
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by dazzam »

Steve how do we enter the points for a game where the other player resigned?
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

dazzam wrote:Steve how do we enter the points for a game where the other player resigned?
Set there casualties to 100%. So for example you are at 12/40 and they are 20/37 at the stage of resign so change their score to 37/37.

Cheers,

Steve
dazzam

Post by dazzam »

What's the situation with games in progress as at 31 Oct. Hojo & I have 2 games in progress right now
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

dazzam wrote:What's the situation with games in progress as at 31 Oct. Hojo & I have 2 games in progress right now
I'll start closing things down from the 1st of November here in Japan. It could mean, depending on how busy I am, that you'll have 1 or 2 days more to wrap up before I shift to awarding wins and draws based on game completion.

Cheers,

Steve
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

If you could extend a little would be great

I have maybe 3 results that need to be added and one final game currently in progress, unfortunately a northeaster rolled into town in New England and I likly will be w/o power for a few more days...
claymore58
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by claymore58 »

I have 4 almost complete. No weather excuse here. Just time ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. However, time waits for no man. Even ones who are on an island (Oz).

Cheers, Claymore
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

claymore wrote: Just time ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.
That's Pink Floyd, that is. :D
on an island
That's Dave Gilmour, that is. :D

I wonder if a person could get through a day just using "prog-talk"? :lol:
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

LOEG Season 7 (November 14th - February 14th) PLEASE READ

Post by pantherboy »

Season 7 of FOG’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Greetings Gentlemen,

It is time to start preparing for Season 7. The shift to period lists seems to have worked rather well. The intent was to create opportunities for players to play in more than 1 league even if they only possess a single expansion and to limit the final total of leagues to accomodate administration. The volume of games being played is quite large and I'm very impressed with the way players have continued to conduct themselves. I still haven't been required to settle any disputes or listen to any complaints and as such that says mountains for the level of sportsmanship across all seasons.

This season will see the introduction of the "Themed League" which will have 8 lists available for selection. For further details please read below.

Please take the time to reread the rules paying particular attention to how the Super League will be handled and regarding updating the online spreadsheet.

I hope everyone continues to enjoy their matches and I look forward to crossing swords with as many of you as possible.

"The first and most important rule to observe...is to use our entire forces with the utmost energy. The second rule is to concentrate our power as much as possible against that section where the chief blows are to be delivered and to incur disadvantages elsewhere, so that our chances of success may increase at the decisive point. The third rule is never to waste time. Unless important advantages are to be gained from hesitation, it is necessary to set to work at once. By this speed a hundred enemy measures are nipped in the bud, and public opinion is won most rapidly. Finally, the fourth rule is to follow up our successes with the utmost energy. Only pursuit of the beaten enemy gives the fruits of victory." --- Karl von Clausewitz

1. The Divisions

The league will now be made up of 7 distinct Leagues based on periods rather than expansion packs except for one. The Leagues are Biblical Pre 600 BC, Classical 600 BC – 26 BC, Imperial 25 BC – 495 AD, Dark Ages 496 AD – 1100 AD, Early Medieval 1100 AD – 1300 AD, Late Medieval 1300 AD – 1500 AD & The Super League. Each League maybe further subdivided into “A”, “B”, “C” Divisions etc. depending upon the number of players within said League. Up to 10 players will participate in each division with excess going into another group. If the lowest Division has less than 10 players than it will remain open for new entrants who do not have a league rating or are rated for the lowest division play. Depending upon league performance players will shift between divisions either going up or dropping. New players will start in the bottom divisions.

2. Joining & Selecting an Army for your Period League

For the period based leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.) each player is required to select a specific army list (e.g. Early Armenian – Tigran the Great) from the appropriate DAG (ROR, SOA, IF & SAS) and post it to the appropriate thread for their League (e.g. Season 6 Recruitment - Classical). In each group no two players are permitted to field an identical list though each variant may be fielded by a different player. For example one player may select Bosporan (early) while another takes Bosporan (mid) and finally a third player opts for Bosporan (late). Each season players are not allowed to reselect an army list they have chosen in a previous season until they have played 5 different lists with each list originating from a different nation. I wish to encourage variety within the league and broaden players play styles.

When posting your selection you are required to make a 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference. Players will be awarded their choice based upon their ranking. Lower ranked players will receive their 1st preference while the highest ranked players will often receive only their 2nd or 3rd choice and oft times be required to make a 4th selection.

For the period based leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.) each round you will field a 500pt army from your own list. You are free to customize the army before each battle.

2.1 Joining & Selecting an Army for the Themed League

The Themed League will change each season. It will be based on a theme present in each list provided. This may range from required troop types (all elephant armies) to historical adversaries or minimum requirements (3 generals). The specifics (army size, choices, requirements etc.) will be explained under the recruitment thread for the league. The Themed League will have a capacity of 8 players per division with placement being based upon a players league rating each season. If you do not possess a rating then you'll first have to participate in one or more of the Period Leagues before being eligible in later seasons.

3. Joining & Selecting an Army for the Super League

To be eligible to join the Super League you must first possess a League Rating. This will mean completing at least one season in at least one period based league (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.). Players will be drafted into their respective Divisions based upon this rating.

To enter you post a request to join within the “Season 6 Recruitment – Super League” thread only indicating your player ID and your League Rating. DO NOT POST YOUR ARMY SELECTION.

The next step is to select a specific army list (e.g. Early Armenian – Tigran the Great) from any DAG (ROR, SOA, IF, LT & SAS) and create a 500pt army. Players will be locked into what they select for their army for all their matches. There will be no customization before each battle like in the period leagues (e.g. Classical, Dark Ages etc.). Once you’ve built your army you will be required to email me at pantherboy@hotmail.com with your selection.

There will be no restrictions upon players regarding army selection and as such if two players nominate the same army and appear in the same Division then so be it. I’m hoping with such a diversity of lists available that this will be a rare occurrence. Also as far as not playing with a previously fielded army in the league this ruling does not apply to the Super League. If you really want to you can play the same list each season.

4. Participation in Leagues

This Season I’ll be enforcing some limitations upon participation. A player is free to join any number of Leagues as long as they have completed all their matches. Any player who has been able to complete 80% or more of their League games will be free to join 2 Leagues. Players who have been unable to complete the majority of their matches will be restricted to 1 League. New players to the League will also be limited to 2 Leagues though in later Seasons they will be able to participate in more once they have a proven track record.

5. Match Preferences – FOW & Double Moves

“Double Moves” and “FOW” will be mandatory for Season 6. This is mostly due to the fact that the vast majority of players use these options and by creating consistency eases game setup for players and administration of the league for me.

6. Scoring

Scoring for this season will be awarded for wins, losses and draws. A tally of battle groups broken and lost will be kept record of in the event of a tie breaker being required when determining overall ranking. Results for your Division can be found in the thread “LoEG Results & Tables”.

3 points - win
1 point - draw
0 points - loss

7. Match-Ups

Please go to the relevant thread for internal messages in your league. The first post will contain a list of players and their chosen armies for your match-ups. Either player is permitted to set-up their games as long as they select FOW & Double Moves. If the match has been incorrectly set-up then the player who did not set-up the game will have the choice to restart but only by Turn 2. A game that has reached Turn 3 will become fixed and must be played to conclusion.

8. Reporting Games

Reporting results will be incumbent on the player who won the battle. They will be required to log into the Slitherine Forum and post the result publically on the appropriate thread (e.g. Classical Battle Results). Results posted should be reported in the following format;

Division (A/B/C etc.)
Player ID (army) (BG lost / BG total) vs Player ID (army) (BG lost / BG total)

Example
Division A
pantherboy (Later Seleucid) (25/23) vs CharlesRobinson (Late Republican Roman) (14/23)

The next step is to update the online spreadsheets. I have posted links to online spreadsheets for each of the leagues within the “LoEG Results & Tables” thread under the post for Season 6. Each link will take you to a series of spreadsheets detailing each division table plus another sheet showing the ladder. What this means is that tables and ladders will always be up-to-date as long as results have been recorded.

At the end of each season I’ll delete all the battle results threads and then set them up anew. The LoEG Results & Tables thread will continue to record every Season’s data.

8.1 How do I enter the results onto the spreadsheet?

What you do is cross-reference the two players involved and then enter the same information as you post on the results thread. You enter lost BG's / total army BG's for each army under the appropriately headed column. Once this is done everything else is auto-calculated (e.g. points for match, total player points, kill ratio, ladder adjustments etc.). I have color-coded the tables for ease of search. Please enter results in the colored cells only as the gray ones will automatically update.

8.2 Reporting a draw.

Simply enter the current tallies for both players as usual and the table will automatically calculate the points. If both players have opted for a mutual draw then enter 0 for BG’s lost or whatever number it was at when the draw was agreed to.

8.3 I can't enter anything onto the ladder sheet.

This is intentional. I have locked those sheets as there is no need to enter anything on them. They self-calculate everything. All you need to do is look at them to see where you stand in that particular division.

8.4 Why don't you lock the cells which we shouldn't use on the table sheets?

Google docs doesn't have that capability and as such I must trust that nobody is malicious though you can only access the sheets through the link in the league. I hope google adds this function in the future but people have been requesting it for over a year so I don't have high hopes.

8.5 What do I do if I make an error?

You can use the undo function in the toolbar to go back if you make a mistake. Because it is online it can operate slowly so please be patient and do not repeatedly hit something as the table maybe trying to calculate and needs time to catch up. If all else fails just exit and PM me and I'll quickly fix it. I have a template of the tables and access to the Slitherine post for old results and will be able to amend any problems very quickly.

9. Absent Players & Neglected Turns

If you have the option to claim a game due to no activity from your opponent then please feel free to do so and report what the current casualties are if possible. Also don’t be too concerned about players who may have dropped or are unable to play. It is obvious who they are by looking at the results table and at the end of the Season I simply award the game to their opponents unless they didn’t complete any games in which case I’ll remove their name from the list.

10. Keeping Track of Games

It is advised that each player maintain a personal record of their completed matches. In this way you will know who you still have to play and have records of all the completed games in the advent of a mix up at my end. The easiest way to accomplish this is to copy and paste the first post in your league’s internal messages thread which details each player in your division and what army they will be fielding. Then record your results beside each player as per reporting games in Section 8 above.

11. Player Etiquette

So far players have conducted themselves with the utmost of sportsmanship. I don’t feel it is necessary to discuss how players conduct themselves but I do have one request. For ease of management if you wish to quit the League or won’t have time to finish your matches then please notify me. An explanation isn’t required. The purpose is to allow me to either delete you from the League (if games haven’t been played) or issue forfeits on your behalf rather than you sitting there as a ghost player with your opponents trying to contact you. You will always be welcome back though limited to 1 League as per section “4. Participation in Leagues”.

12. Season 6 Table Explanation

Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Triarii »

TheGrayMouser wrote:If you could extend a little would be great

I have maybe 3 results that need to be added and one final game currently in progress, unfortunately a northeaster rolled into town in New England and I likly will be w/o power for a few more days...
And that last game of GM's started late as work banished me to remote, foggy but FoGless, areas for a wee while.
I also have another 3 games finishing so a little extension would be welcome.
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Gday i am most interested in joining the tournament for season 7 and i am a little confused in how to do so.In understand choosing the army i need and the period.All i would like is to know how to join up,could some body please help?

Cheers Mark Turk1964
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

Season 7 is on and will finish February 14th.
Usually pantherboy start recruitment for the new season about the same time.
Just visit the forum until you spot that recruitment for season 8 have started.
Turk1964

Post by Turk1964 »

Cheers Hidde thanks for the prompt reply.I will wait until season 8 is announced and then go from there i guess :?

Cheers Mark
ericdoman1
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

LOEG - Season 8

Post by ericdoman1 »

Hi

As some of you will know Steve/pantherboy may well have trouble playing and organising LOEG for the foreseeable future.

He will have a lot on his plate due to his new role at work.

Stockwellpete and batesmotel have already suggested they would help and I would be looking for 2 additional players as well as myself. Triarius I hope will help out, even though he is incrediby busy as his knowledge of exel is very good.

Firstly the LOEG is the NO. 1 Digital competition by a mile and I feel that it should continue.

Secondly, however without Steve it will not be right so I/we hope that he may be able to play in 1 or possibly 2 divisions.

The reason we would need 5 players is to have 1 player looking after each of the divisions (see below) and the relevant sub divisions (A, B and C).

We would still need Steve to help out with the spreadsheet, of course once we receive this all we have to do is fill in the players names and armies and then it is easy.

Anyways my suggestions for the new divisions are

The divisions will be pre 1 BC (Classical, IF and ROR), 1 BC to 493AD (Imperial, IF, ROR and LT), 494 AD to 1100 AD (Dark Ages/Early Medieval, LT, DAF and SAS), and then 1101 AD to 1500AD Western (SOA, DAF?, SAS and ETE) and Eastern Medieval division (DAF, SAS and ETE).

Have found that these are the tried and tested periods in TT and so I believe it will work in FOG-digitl as well.

Would hope to have 8 to 10 players per division and sub divisions.

Hopefully we can start the ball rolling with any other thoughts and players wishing to join up.

I will be playing in all divisions.

Cheers
hidde

Re: LOEG - Season 8

Post by hidde »

I can take one division. Have no knowledge of exel so no help there.
Super League?

Cheers
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: LOEG - Season 8

Post by stockwellpete »

I think it is very good that you have taken the initiative here, Eric, because LOEG is really the most important competition that we have and it has been really well supported in each of its seven seasons so far. I am actually in favour of the new arrangements for the divisions that you have outlined above - I particularly like the split of the medieval period into western and eastern geographical areas (1100-1500AD). However, I am wondering if any substantial changes should wait until season 9.

My main reason for saying this is that if the changes were delayed for a season it would give Steve a reasonable amount of time to settle into his new job and make a considered judgement about how much time he has for FOG in the future. LOEG is very much his competition and, as you say, it will be a bit strange without him at the helm. Of course, it all depends on how Steve feels about it all really. I do know that he takes a different view about the organisation of the medieval period so it might be sensible to avoid changing the format just now in case he does decide to continue as the main organiser of LOEG after all.

The other reason for delaying the change is so that you can eventually pair Storm of Arrows with Oath of Fealty in a western medieval section 1100-1500 when it comes out in a few months time - Swords and Scimitars can already go with Eternal Empire very sensibly, in my opinion.

Other ideas that I have that players can think about . . .

i) Always make the "A" division ten players. Most players will not ever be able to win the "A" division but it will give a sense of achievement to players if, first of all, they can get into the top ten of a particular division - and then if they can maintain their position in that top ten for a number of seasons. I would also try very hard to make the "B" division ten players as well. To give an example - if you have 26 players entering a competition, I would go Div A - 10 players (9 matches); Div B - 10 players (9 matches); and Div C - 6 players (but they would play paired games giving 10 matches).

ii) Scrap the Super League, as it is not very well supported, and replace it with a knock-out tournament that all entrants into LOEG will have the opportunity to enter. Players can choose any army they like so that "Super League" element is retained. Players will be able to opt-out of this part of LOEG if they want to.

Return to “Field of Glory: League of Extraordinary Gentleman”