Pre-industrial vineyard

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Midlander65
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Pre-industrial vineyard

Post by Midlander65 »

I have been making various pieces of 15mm scenery to go with my 16th C Italian Wars French army. One of the things I wanted was a vineyard but all the commercial ready-made ones I could find and the online tutorials showed modern style lines of vines grown on wire. Obviously cheap 100m rolls of galvanised wire wouldn't have been available in the pre-industrial world so I thought a different look was needed. I saw some small vineyards on holiday, with individual, free-standing vines and used that as inspiration.

I particularly wanted to capture the twisted, convoluted look of old vines so used short lengths of wire twisted and bent as the armatures than glued these in rows to strips cut from some left-over flexible bathroom flooring.

The bases were finished off with flexible decorators filler and decorated with grit and sand, as my usual figure basing method and foliage added using Woodland Scenics clumping foliage, run through a kitchen blender to make the clumps smaller.

The finished strips are shown here on one of my multi-purpose terrain area pieces that could be an open or enclosed field, orchard, plantation… depending on what marker pieces are used.

I have done a full description of the process with some more pictures on my blog:
http://smallitalianwars.blogspot.co.uk
madlemmey
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Pre-industrial vineyard

Post by madlemmey »

Those are superb! 8)

Return to “Modelling”