Cannon minis choices & safely transporting pikemen

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

yetibruce
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Cannon minis choices & safely transporting pikemen

Post by yetibruce »

So I'm building my first FOGR Army and want to collect 2 heavy, 4 medium, and 4 light artillery bases including crew in 28mm. So far I have a Scots Frame Gun and a Saker with crews painted. The first version of the Dutch I want to field is the Dutch Late 80YW Army from the Battle of Nieuport in 1600 (War of Religion p8), or rather as much as I can afford on 650 points in 28mm.

Questions:
1. What cannon minis are of good quality?

1A. Are there any that are poorly made that I should avoid, or are they all kind of similar in durability and aesthetic?
I ask because the price range between different manufacturers is pretty extreme...5 to 9 GBP for a cannon, or up to $24 for a Warlord cannon w/3-4 crew. I do see a slightly better aesthetic on the more expensive ones, but I'm not sure if that's just the poor picture quality on the inexpensive ones.
The Nieuport army will have 2 heavy and 4 medium cannon. For those I'm mostly concerned with the aesthetic at least being average.

2. The New Netherlands (New Amsterdam) 1664 & 1674 army will have 2 light cannon bases, so I was going to try 2 Scots Frame guns as they would be light enough to be dragged through the forest on mule-back. Or would the more standard 3 pnder Falcon light cannons be more period appropriate for the Dutch West Indies company? Or maybe naval cannon? I know they mounted 8 cannon at Fort Orange (Albany, NY) historically, but haven't found anything on what kind those were.

2A. These light cannon may be used for a Dutch in Malacca 1622 army version with 2 of the medium cannon from the Nieuport 1600 Army and 2 additional light cannon.

3. Would a mortar ever be used for open field warfare? I ask because there's a Warlord box set that includes a Saker, a Demi-culverin, a mortar, and some entrenchment terrain. From what little I've read mortars were only used in sieges, which FOGR tourney play doesn't lend itself to. For tourney games would these look stupid for medium artillery?

4. Do you have any tips for transporting pike stands?
I have some 4" deep foam I'm going to try, but these plastic pikes are super-fragile. I plan to buy metal pikes in future.
Schnockel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Cannon minis choices & safely transporting pikemen

Post by Schnockel »

For the pikes, I highly recommend replacing them with heavy gauge copper wire. It's inexpensive, superglued well, and (if industrious) you can make decent looking points on them.

The other stuff, I have no idea.
stancolleymore
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by stancolleymore »

Do NOT use super-glue it does not fill any gaps and hence can provide a poor bond. Use Araldite two part adhesive (or similar). Mix WELL and it fills any gaps and provides a great bond.

Always wash figures and wire in detergent, rinse and dry well.

All my pikes are transported in a metal tool box and magnetic strips under the base.
Schnockel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Schnockel »

Superglue works fine. I haven't used two part epoxies (or similar) in over 25 years with minis. Use whatever seems best to you.
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

Mortars would not be used in field battles, but you could have it as part of your baggage ready to win the battle and besiege the city that was being defended. I guess it depends on whether you want the other stuff and want to find use for the mortar.
pikeman666
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by pikeman666 »

I have mounted my 15's on magnetic sign material. and transport them in metal tool boxes, or plastic containers with sheet metal glued in the bottom. I mount my 25-28mm on thin steel, and transport them in containers with magnetic sign material glued in the bottom.
This scheme has worked well for both scales and I have had no damage.
Pete

Return to “Modelling”