Polish Army Advice

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Polish Army Advice

Post by titanu »

The Poles were my first love in 25mm Renaissance wargaming more years ago than I care to remember. I want to do a 15mm version for FoGR and am going to use Legio Heroic figures which are not cheap. What units should I have in the army to give me what I need?
I can't get any info from Madaxemna Polish Wiki.
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Polish Army Advice

Post by kevinj »

There's probably nothing on the wiki because nobody has managed to make the army work yet. The winged hussars can suffer very badly against 30 YW armies. I suspect if there is a viable option it would be to go for the later army when the contemporary opponents don't have such good horse.
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

There are "some" polish armies on the wiki, but not many.

Minimum Hussars is probably the only starting place most people would agree with.

I did use it in the Southern League - with minimal success
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
Jhykronos
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Jhykronos »

madaxeman wrote:There are "some" polish armies on the wiki, but not many.

Minimum Hussars is probably the only starting place most people would agree with.

I did use it in the Southern League - with minimal success
I'll be the lone dissenter on the minimum Hussars thing. The drawback to the Hussars is that they are grossly overcosted*, and have tragic vulnerabilities to Heavily armored horse/gendarmes; but the drawback to minimizing them is that the army really has nothing else going for it that other lists don't do -much- better. It's pretty much a pack of support troops with nothing to support.

Take a reasonable number of hussars, and try to come up with a plan that lets them succeed- it has worked for me on a couple of occasions. Fielding the Poles as a gimped 30-years war pike/shot/pistols army, on the other hand, seems like a road to certain failure.

(* as are the Pancerni types... what's a poor Polish player gotta do to get the points system fixed)
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

titanu wrote:The Poles were my first love in 25mm Renaissance wargaming more years ago than I care to remember. I want to do a 15mm version for FoGR and am going to use Legio Heroic figures which are not cheap. What units should I have in the army to give me what I need?
I can't get any info from Madaxemna Polish Wiki.
I have effectively the same mounted in my Loius XIV army. It's tough as nails agains historicals, but you have to be lucky against Cuirassiers. If they keep them together and don't allow you the overlaps then you'll probably have a hard time of it. The mounted are expensive in comparison to cuirassiers... I mean I have to spend in excess of 20% of my available points on TWO BG's.

Having said that, I have used then successfully.

I too have looked at the Poles. And here is my advice:

Don't take the 'Relief of Vienna' option.
If you decide to do the 'Relief of Vienna' option, then DON'T DO THE 'Relief of Vienna' OPTION.
Polish foot is too expensive, so go with more Germans.
Minimise Hussars, and go more for Cossacks.

Fortunately, you can bulk up on Hussar looking troops by taking Mob.
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »

Thanks to all who sent advice :D
madlemmey
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by madlemmey »

Good thread, thanks chaps.
Horde Hussars, what fun!
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Tim probably had the best advice in his SL report - Poles do best when playing a numpty who does not know what he is doing so charging the guns is the obvious tactic...

Return to “Modelling”