Burgundian Ordonnance

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

puster
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Burgundian Ordonnance

Post by puster »

Here is the SECOND draft of the Burgundian Ordonnance for FOG-R:
(The first postings after this will probably handle issues that are already changed)

Sorry for the quality, but I do not want to compete with original products :-)
As you can see, its available as an Excel-file.

If Slytherine/Osprey decides that this shall vanish again, I will put it down asap.

On the content:
I am not sure wether Heavy guns should not be represented by Heavy artillery. I also would like to give the Italian crossbows a better line (if only for variation) but left it as it is.

I put the household Gensdarmes as Elite - they are restricted to two and Burgund WAS famed for its knights (see the Welsche Garde in ToT).

As it stands, the numbers are a direct transfer from FOG - perhaps Timmy or others can comment on these.

Comments and criticism are welcome.

BTW: Currently buildings and painting a Perry Burgundian army. Once their Men-At-Arms are out, it will hopefully be complete within a few weeks.
Last edited by puster on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

I can't see that the GC option is justified.

I would allow 1 BG of household Longbows to be Superior.

I would allow heavy guns,

Other than that seems fine.
puster

Post by puster »

CG?

>I can't see any historical justification for elite Gensdarmes based upon their battlefield performance.

I admit I only put them thus to differentiate Household from Ordonnance. Otherwise they could be subsumized. On the other hand with a general army list we have to consider the possible performance of units, not only their actual (though naturally the ACTUAL performance does play the major part).

I will include the option for "superior" longbows and include heavy artillery (for three choices here)...

Should I add the option for medium foot for the arquebus, or where they really only used as light foot?

It will take me some hours, though.
puster

More...

Post by puster »

>I think one pike block is enough.

The idea was that Burgund potentially could field more pikemen from the low countries.

>Can't see any reason why they can't be a keil.

Imho the rules for the keil reflect the emulation of the Swiss usage of pikes. Afaik the first time this actually worked for non-Swiss was at Guinegate.
If, however, for historicals efficiency sake, we take away this ability from Burgundian pikes, they should be reduced in costs.

Allies
Given that I do not consider most of the WotR-English to be heirs of the "modern" military system, I will probably not create FOGR lists for them. I will remove the "Allies" entry from the next incarnation.
puster

More...

Post by puster »

Artillery - I am not sold on the availability of "heavy" artillery to the Burgundians. While they surely had some for siege purposes, their field pieces would imho be classed as medium when compared to the "heavy" pieces of the later armies.

I have added the option for one superior bow and fielding the handguns as medium foot.

I am still contemplating to downgrade the Feudal Men-At-Arms a bit, perhaps to horse or by taking away the "light lancers".

On the "Household Gensdarmes" - these would be the personal bodyguard of Karl - I toy with the idea to allow these as Elite, but only if Karl is taken a commander (troop commander) and attached to this unit. I am still trying to justify their existence at all, as compared to superior ordonnance Gensdarmes.

I keep the Keil-option (not including any special rules) since at 8 for Ordonnance and 12 with Poor ratings these are fragile anyway. Before I start to tinker with point costs here, I leave them as is.

I also wonder wether the Ordonnance crossbow and arquebus should also get swordsmen for better cc abilities. Their performance probably does not support this...

Apart from these, I think I can live with it. If the lords of this forum agree, I will post a better quality pic.
puster

Re: Burgundian Ordonnance

Post by puster »

Here is a rework of the list, with the household gensdarmes in a "speculative" category and both heavy and medium artillery. I propose you use medium vs. contemporary opponents, and heavy artillery for matches out of their timescope.
FOG-R Burgundian Ordnonannce
FOG-R Burgundian Ordnonannce
burgundianOrdonannce.jpg (183.77 KiB) Viewed 7385 times

Return to “Player Designed Lists”