French, Italian Wars: Crossbow as LF or MF?

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Midlander65
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

French, Italian Wars: Crossbow as LF or MF?

Post by Midlander65 »

Which should I choose for my FOG-R French army in the early Italian Wars?

I am part way through painting 24 Adventurers with crossbows and had always intended to base them as LF, giving the option of a single 8-base unit or two with 6 each. I'm just wondering though whether basing them as Medium foot is worth considering in an army that has nothing else to contest rough ground and with the idea that 8 bases of MF in a single unit might actually kill something instead of just getting hits.

What would people advise?

http://smallitalianwars.blogspot.co.uk
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: French, Italian Wars: Crossbow as LF or MF?

Post by ravenflight »

I think it depends on what you were going to do with the rest of the army.

For example, in one of my lists I have light foot Arquebusiers because I want to throw them out on the wing to screen in front of my cuirassiers and so would be perfectly safe as an evade would interpenetrate.

But if in your army you wanted something a bit more solid to hold a terrain feature (for example) then I'd go MF.
Midlander65

Re: French, Italian Wars: Crossbow as LF or MF?

Post by Midlander65 »

Thanks very much for the reply. Horses for courses then. I have LF arquebus for the Landsknechts and/or Swiss so going MF for the Adventurers might make sense for the later period but I'm not sure about having them with crossbows.

I have read that Adventurers tended to be skirmishers so I think I'll do these as LF and use them in lieu of some or all of the Landsknechts and/or Swiss LF to screen my Keils then do some Italian arquebus as MF - I already have the figures in the lead pile.

Return to “Army Design”