N African states 1660-1698 - Unchanged from 1570s?

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

RonanTheLibrarian
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

N African states 1660-1698 - Unchanged from 1570s?

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

As I am in the process of building a Tangiers Garrison/Restoration British force for the 1660-1685 period, I thought I would look at raising some historical opponents - specifically a Moroccan army from that time frame.

The relevant section (p. 66) of the T&T book indicates that the lists cover North African states from 1494 all the way up to 1698, but the "availability" dates in the troop type section don't seem to go much past 1570. Whilst I can understand that there were no substantive changes in troop type/quality from 1560-1660, were there really no upgrades in organisation, tactics, or weaponry over that 100 years (eg no musket-armed troops at all)?

Given that the Moroccans expelled the British from Tangiers and the Spanish from Larache, it does seem unlikely that there was no improvement at all in military sophistication during these three decades. Or was it really just "hit and run" type guerilla tactics?
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
benjones1211
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: N African states 1660-1698 - Unchanged from 1570s?

Post by benjones1211 »

The British where not expelled from Tangiers, Charles II had them withdraw because it was too expensive to keep a garrison there and he needed to save some money. I suspect it was hit and run tactics that made it too expensive.
RonanTheLibrarian

Re: N African states 1660-1698 - Unchanged from 1570s?

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

That's what I thought (the Merry Monarch could also be the Mean Monarch when nobody was looking) - I was merely quoting from the book.

Just to avoid being burnt as a heretic, you understand. :lol:
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"

Return to “Army Design”