Hapsburg Austrian Imperial

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Hapsburg Austrian Imperial

Post by spotteddog »

Oh and before marshalney starts I do not think it is either particulary good or bad against my Later TYW Germans now that Richard and me are nemesesing on the Friday AND my list has already been approved! Its just an honest opinion, thats all, honest.
HH
marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 »

Honesty is always appreciated as is an opinion. Honest.
John
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

spotteddog wrote:Some Kings army was my first army. I though it was very effective then and I haven't changed my mind having played a few FOG R games since. Sure you loose a 2 x 1 shots at long range to 5+1s and 2 x 2 shots at close but the 5+1s are dearer, you get free bayonet which helps when forced to column and the impact bonus can be sweet. That together with Elite and superior mounted, superior shooting mounted and dragoons makes them a cxontender just IMHO lads.

Nice and colourful too!

HH
I admit that I hadn't really noticed the Superior Carabiniers until recently. I am going to give them + Dragoon heavy a go to see how I manage.
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

youngr wrote:Anybody used this Duty & Glory army? Can anyone recommend any tips on how or not how to design or use the army?

Cheers

Richard
I've now had a chance to look at the list and I think that the best army list in Duty and Glory is 'Later Danish'.

If I was going to build a new 'Duty and Glory' army, this would be it. Something like this:

1678-1680AD
Great Commander and 2 Troop Commanders
4 BG's of 4&2 P&S with Bayonet
4 BG's of 4&2 P&S with Bayonet and Regimental Gun
1 BG of 6 Superior Shot with Bayonet and Regimental Gun
1 BG of Average Det Horse
2 BG of 4 Dragoons
2 BG of 2 Med Artillery

14 BG's at exactly 798 AP

I'd break the 4 BG's of P&S into 2 BG's of 8 shot with Bayonet and 2 BG's of 4 pike. The pike would be used for rear support of the Artillery
I'd use the BG's with Regimental Gun as flank guards to keep the enemy mounted honest.
I'd use the 6 BG with Regimental Gun as a roving point of annoyance. Lots of firepower and an ability to make life hard on the enemy if they don't behave.
I'd use the Dragoons and Artillery to concentrate fire where I wanted the enemy to be weak.
I'd use the Det Horse as rear support where needed. It moves quick and covers a large area.

<edited = added colour to hopefully make it clearer what I was proposing.
Last edited by ravenflight on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

My God that is weird. I was looking at the Danish last night and came up with a list very similar to yours. I then concluded that not being able to detach the regimental guns from the pike was a major stumbling block and quite wasteful. The thought of using them for flank guards as you say is possible but if the enemy has shot, Dragoons or dare I say it commanded shot supporting the cavalry then I do not fancy the pike unit's chances particularly as the Danish horse is very weak.
John
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

marshalney2000 wrote:My God that is weird. I was looking at the Danish last night and came up with a list very similar to yours. I then concluded that not being able to detach the regimental guns from the pike was a major stumbling block and quite wasteful. The thought of using them for flank guards as you say is possible but if the enemy has shot, Dragoons or dare I say it commanded shot supporting the cavalry then I do not fancy the pike unit's chances particularly as the Danish horse is very weak.
John
No john, that's fine plan ;) in fact bring lots of that Danish horse :) trust me I'm a samurai player :)
Proelium: Wargaming rules for 3000B.C. - 1901A.D.
Hordes of Models and Buckets of Dice
Web: www.quickplayrules.com
Social: www.facebook.com/quickplayrules
Twitter: @quickplayrules
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Nigel were you the Samurai I saw in a film with Tom Cruise. If you were then you were the last one as I recall.
Sorry but I don't think you will see me with a Danish army at Britcon. Oh no, far more devious than that.
John
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Used the Danish a few years ago at Britcon and came 4th or 5th IIRC which says more about the army than my skills you will appreciate.

HH
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

marshalney2000 wrote:My God that is weird. I was looking at the Danish last night and came up with a list very similar to yours. I then concluded that not being able to detach the regimental guns from the pike was a major stumbling block and quite wasteful. The thought of using them for flank guards as you say is possible but if the enemy has shot, Dragoons or dare I say it commanded shot supporting the cavalry then I do not fancy the pike unit's chances particularly as the Danish horse is very weak.
John
I think you'd win the shootout with Dragoons and 2BG's of Regimental Gun tipped P&S in the flanks... especially seeing that if they have loads of mounted you can concentrate your forces and thrown in the artillery as well. They wouldn't like it for long I don't think, but I haven't tried it.
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

i maxed the shot with rg's. by crickey could they lay down some firepower!
hunter
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Just remember the pike and shot including the regimental guns would be hitting on 5's with the enemy hitting on 4's. The pike and shot would also have a -1 on cohesion tests for insecure flanks. Also puts a lot of stuff on the flanks.
Still do not fancy it.
Hunter's list of a few years ago was good but a bit vulnerable to mounted and also very few battle groups in the army due to the cost of each infantry unit.
John
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

marshalney2000 wrote:Just remember the pike and shot including the regimental guns would be hitting on 5's with the enemy hitting on 4's. The pike and shot would also have a -1 on cohesion tests for insecure flanks. Also puts a lot of stuff on the flanks.
Still do not fancy it.
Hunter's list of a few years ago was good but a bit vulnerable to mounted and also very few battle groups in the army due to the cost of each infantry unit.
John
Don't regt guns hit on 4s reguardless of other factors? That's what qrs seems to show? Hence in the flank sector, shot hit on 5s, regt gun hits on a 4...
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Nigel, I used to think that but if you look at the factors it is part of a battle group which has a threatened flank. I seem to recall that latest thinking was that any shooting factors below the regimental gun line in the POA chart apply such as threatened flank and part of a battle group in combat etc. This then means they would hit on 5 and not 4.
John
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Nigel, found it. Situational factors do apply to regimental guns. Confirmed by RBS in October 2012 after a query raised in the rules queries section of the forum under regimental guns.
John
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

marshalney2000 wrote:Nigel, I used to think that but if you look at the factors it is part of a battle group which has a threatened flank. I seem to recall that latest thinking was that any shooting factors below the regimental gun line in the POA chart apply such as threatened flank and part of a battle group in combat etc. This then means they would hit on 5 and not 4.
John
Oh ok... Kevin would this be your ruling on the day?
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Why would it not be his ruling? Question raised on the forum and responded to by the rule book author. Seems pretty conclusive to me. Indeed looking at the Shooting POA chart it is written in a logical order.
For example, how could a regimental gun justify not getting a - 1 POA for shooting at troops in combat when everyone else does.
John
nigelemsen
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by nigelemsen »

marshalney2000 wrote:Why would it not be his ruling? Question raised on the forum and responded to by the rule book author. Seems pretty conclusive to me. Indeed looking at the Shooting POA chart it is written in a logical order.
For example, how could a regimental gun justify not getting a - 1 POA for shooting at troops in combat when everyone else does.
John
I hasn't seen the oct 2012 ruling by RBS :p I suppose at some point my must update my hard copy of the rules... :)
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

New one on me too but it does make sense.
Hunter
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

Yes, some factors don't affect regimental guns, others do, including I believe the - for threatened flank when shooting at foot battle troops, so a P&S BG in the outer 12 mu area would be hitting mounted on 5 for the musketeers, 4 for the RG, Dragoons on 4 with everything and other P&S (and also Commanded Shot) on 5 with everything.
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Kevin, agree all your points other than shooting at Dragoons. If the shooting unit is in the outer 12 inches then they would be shooting at the Dragoons (who are foot) on fives I.e. no different from shooting at a pike and shot unit. Both targets are foot. Or am I missing something in your logic?
Once again, the Dragoons and commanded shot who support them get a big shooting advantage against other foot. Taking it a stage further if Swedish commanded shot have regimental guns then these guns also hit on fours as they are attached to a unit which does not have a threatened flank. Just gets better and better for the commanded shot in flank sectors.
John

Return to “Army Design”