Early Swedes ... Cannot Be Beat

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

footslogger
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Early Swedes ... Cannot Be Beat

Post by footslogger »

You'll like being Caesar. ++ on impact and ++ in melee.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Sounds like if you have the same luck with the dice it might turn out just as bad for you. My sympathies as I have had days where you just can't seem to roll higher than a 2 throughout the whole game.
Is till think FF's would have helped as he has to stop 1 Mu away and you get an extra shot on him, then you get your FF POA too. ECW doesn't get that kind of good stuff though.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Were there average BGs of Swedes? They, despite the 7 bases, are just as fragile as an average 6pak. Maybe try targeting them?

Or

Have a BG of horse beside your foot BG(s). When the Swedes charge, intercept with 1 base (in column). You will be up + and then, if (well, it wasn't all going to be great) you can target a base not fighting with your foot BG (yes, 5 or 6 to hit, but still) and then, if you survive the melee, break off with the horse back behind your foot BG(s). They'll get another round into the Swedes and, if the horse is sound, you can do it again next turn (if the Swedes weren't able to step into your foot BG(s)).
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Just might try that against elite Later Tercios! :twisted:
SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re:

Post by SwartzeHeinrich »

footslogger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:I can't speak to 25mm as much but in 15mm one of the tactics is to wheel so the swedish brigades can't hit you full on. 1 file to 1 file at impact reduces a lot of the dangers of double POA. THen you are evens.
what i hate about wargaming....
hear hear!
Is what destroyed dbm
Fredric
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Re:

Post by hazelbark »

SwartzeHeinrich wrote:
footslogger wrote:
hazelbark wrote:I can't speak to 25mm as much but in 15mm one of the tactics is to wheel so the swedish brigades can't hit you full on. 1 file to 1 file at impact reduces a lot of the dangers of double POA. THen you are evens.
hear hear!
Is what destroyed dbm
So the shorter swedeish line means the enemy can't wheel in to concentrate fire from 2 BGs onto the end of the swedish line. And if the enemy wheel in to concentrate fire, the swedes aren't permitted to veer into them, but instead must march past exposing their flank to assualt?
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Re:

Post by ravenflight »

SwartzeHeinrich wrote:
footslogger wrote:
hear hear!
Is what destroyed dbm
Actually, ahistorical rules writing which allows ahistorical tactics to overcome overly tough opponents is what kills wargames rules. As history will show us, when faced with a superior force commanders will do what is neccessary to win... otherwise what are we to do? Just line up and let Salvo foot tear us a new one?
SwartzeHeinrich
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SwartzeHeinrich »

Well turning the corner of your formation towards an advancing enemy would be suicidal in an historical context since you opponent i reality would not have to line up facing you but simply charge home destroying your line piecemeal. This would probably be much more effective then hitting the front of you enemy formation. All tactical instructions i have ever seen recommend having the front of your formation be towards the enemy as much as possible.
Fredric
SuleimanMagnifico
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by SuleimanMagnifico »

What I've read of the Swedish losses during the TYW seemed to all have two common elements ...

A. Enemy deployed in well-fortified positions.
B. Swedish commanders -- especially Gustav -- overconfident from previous victories, & perhaps too trusting of "divine intervention."

The first is fairly easy to control: buy & use fortifications :) Now that I've got my TYW Danes finished to 600 points, I need to get fortifications & more cavalry to expand them to 800. More artillery, too.

The second, of course, is a bit more difficult.
gregernest
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by gregernest »

Anything new from the OP?

I'm still new to playing the period and my armies are in the early TYW. Anything to share?

Return to “Army Design”