Early Swedes ... Cannot Be Beat

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

kadeshuk
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by kadeshuk »

My best results have been with a superior unit flanked by 2 average. I try to get have them in echelon, with the lead average unit flanking the Swedish line. Swedes usually have smaller number of foot & inferior cavalry, so this has been feasible a few times. The Superior unit is the point of contact and usually holds on impact and I try to get the 2nd average unit contactable by one swedish file so that casualties are light. If the Swede is smart enough to equal my echelon, it should over-extend his flank vulnerability. If all works as it should, the first Swedish contacting unit is dealt with in short order.
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

See how all conquering they are in the hands of a competent player:

viewtopic.php?t=31100

Dave A
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

daveallen wrote:See how all conquering they are in the hands of a competent player:

viewtopic.php?t=31100

Dave A

Presume you mean read game 3 and see what Pete did? :twisted:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
stecal
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by stecal »

daveallen wrote:See how all conquering they are in the hands of a competent player:

viewtopic.php?t=31100

Dave A
The Swedes still won a lot - just the other guy playing Swedes instead.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.
daveallen
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by daveallen »

A brief survey of the results at Warfare* shows the Swedes to be almost entirely dependant on the skills of the player. Or luck as it is known at Central London. :twisted:

* viewtopic.php?t=29844&start=20
mbsparta

Re: Early Swedes ... Cannot Be Beat

Post by mbsparta »

Swedes win .... again ...

Saturday saw the return of Gustav and 650 points of his Swedish minions take on Rupert and 650 late Royalists. I took some photos, but I can't figure out my stupid Blackberry ... shocking ...

Gustav (GC), 2 TCs, Finnish elite horse, Swedish average horse, a BG of superior German cuirassiers, a superior yellow Swedish foot BG, 2x average Swedish foot, 2x commanded shot and a BG of medium artillery; 9 BGs in all.

Rupert (GC), 2 TCs, 2x superior cavaliers, 2x average cavaliers, 2x average BGs of foot, 2x BGs of all shot, 1 average dragoon, 1 BG of medium artillery; 10 BGs.

All 28mm; We used a 6x4 table with 1"=1MU. Not much terrain ... One enclosled field saw his commanded shot and my (Royalists) dragoons and a BG of all shot fight over the ground for most of the game. The cavalry battles were back and forth and I finally broke the Finnish horse, a first!! Rupert and one of his other generals both fell in the battle. I eventually lost the cavalry actions on my right and on my left and as 3 of my cavaliers' broke the game ended. I had lost 10 points to his 6.

It was one of the best FoG-R games we have played. I tried the 2 Royalist all-shot units to see if the added firepower would make a difference. In the end they did force him to hestitate with his foot BGs ... and that gave me a chance to win on the flanks. But the combo of elite Finnish horse and the superior German curiassiers is a deadly combo. Still working on how to suvive that sunami. Rupert, reincarnated, will be back at it next weekend.

Mike B
footslogger
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by footslogger »

mbsparta wrote:Swedes win .... again ...

Saturday saw the return of Gustav and 650 points of his Swedish minions take on Rupert and 650 late Royalists. I took some photos, but I can't figure out my stupid Blackberry ... shocking ...

Gustav (GC), 2 TCs, Finnish elite horse, Swedish average horse, a BG of superior German cuirassiers, a superior yellow Swedish foot BG, 2x average Swedish foot, 2x commanded shot and a BG of medium artillery; 9 BGs in all.

Mike B
There is something not correct about this list. The Swedes have two mandatory mounted groups - one of karbinryttere (average at best, with carbines) and one of Swedish horse. You can of course have the cuirassiers and the Finns, but the other two are required.
footslogger

Post by footslogger »

We had a 4 team round robin tournament here yesterday. I ran Early TYW Swedes and won every game, but the last one could easily have gone the other way, and the game against the Royalist might have also - he's beaten me before in this matchup. 28mm, 650 points, 8x6 tables with 40mm MUs.

I beat Early Louis XIV French, Later ECW Royalist, and finally, the game that could have gone the other way, Italian Wars French.

The list I used was:
3xTC
1x4 Latta Ryttere Sup, Det Horse, arm, -/p/p
1x4 Karbinryttere Avg, Horse, unarm, c/-/p
2x2 Commanded shot w/ reg gun, avg salvo
2xSwedish brigades superior with reg gun
2xMercenary pk&shot
1x4 Germ cuirassier Sup, Horse, hvy arm, -/p/p
1x2 Med Art
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

footslogger wrote:
mbsparta wrote:Swedes win .... again ...

Mike B
There is something not correct about this list. The Swedes have two mandatory mounted groups - one of karbinryttere (average at best, with carbines) and one of Swedish horse. You can of course have the cuirassiers and the Finns, but the other two are required.

I'll have to check and see if Gustav cheated!!

Mike B
footslogger

Post by footslogger »

How many guys do you have gaming FoG-R in 28mm there, Mike? I'm wondering if we could organize some kind of event in Chicago if folks there would come this far?
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

We have four "regular" players but I doubt all of them will travel. There is a group in Cincinnati that plays as well as some in Columbus. I have a buddy in St. Louis that might be interested too.
Maybe you can start a topic and see what kind of interest there is. I'm going to Cold Wars in a couple of weeks. But not playing the the FoG-R or AM events there.

Mike B
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

mbsparta wrote:
I'm going to Cold Wars in a couple of weeks. But not playing the the FoG-R or AM events there.
Bummer. Why not? Always interested in trying to change the events into something with greater appeal.
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

hazelbark wrote:
mbsparta wrote:
I'm going to Cold Wars in a couple of weeks. But not playing the the FoG-R or AM events there.
Bummer. Why not? Always interested in trying to change the events into something with greater appeal.
1. Conflicts with other plans during the FoG-R events
2. I don't have any 15mm armies
3. I tried playing in a DBR tournament a few years back. Not a very pleasant experience. It was just a little too serious for me.

But I always stop by and watch ...

Mike B
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

mbsparta wrote: 1. Conflicts with other plans during the FoG-R events
2. I don't have any 15mm armies
3. I tried playing in a DBR tournament a few years back. Not a very pleasant experience. It was just a little too serious for me.
1 change them :P
Seriously if you have time for one game we may have someone to play you.

2 We can loan and there is a 25mm period being run too.

3 Much lighter crowd these days.
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

footslogger wrote:How many guys do you have gaming FoG-R in 28mm there, Mike? I'm wondering if we could organize some kind of event in Chicago if folks there would come this far?
I will have a 15mm army sometime soon (whenever the Sri Lankans finish painting it). No 28mm, though. I live in MI, and am willing to travel for a good tournament.

Marc
footslogger

Post by footslogger »

There are a couple of folks from Chicago who are hoping to play in the 28mm FoG-R thing at Cold Wars.

We have 8 guys with armies here - all but one of us has more than one army. So, Marc, we could probably find an army for you to use. I will start a thread and see what kind of interest there might be.
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

footslogger wrote:There are a couple of folks from Chicago who are hoping to play in the 28mm FoG-R thing at Cold Wars.

We have 8 guys with armies here - all but one of us has more than one army. So, Marc, we could probably find an army for you to use. I will start a thread and see what kind of interest there might be.
Awesome there are lots of players with 28 mm who often play and will be excited to play 28mm. Can you encourage them to post here or to the Yahoo lists? It will gin up more players.
footslogger

Post by footslogger »

I'm not sure how much posting I can get them to do. We used to travel a lot to the Pennsylvania cons to play DBR. Only a couple still do that. But if I could round up some folks to come to Chicago, we would probably have a pretty good turnout. I started a thread in the tournaments page to see who else might be interested.
stecal

Post by stecal »

footslogger wrote:I'm not sure how much posting I can get them to do. We used to travel a lot to the Pennsylvania cons to play DBR. Only a couple still do that. But if I could round up some folks to come to Chicago, we would probably have a pretty good turnout. I started a thread in the tournaments page to see who else might be interested.
Adepticon? I know it has had a strong WAB turnout.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.
mbsparta

Post by mbsparta »

Gustav beat my a$$ again ... 14-2 ... He laughed at me ...

Used a 1643 Pariament army, 14 Bgs (650 points) and was crushed. Dice rolling was bad, had no luck and did I mention I hate salvoe shot.

I have sworn off FoG-R for a while. I need some therapy. Next game is Late Republic Roman vs Gallic. Let Gustav/Vercingetorix beat me now.

Mike (Caesar) B

Return to “Army Design”